Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After a lot of struggle, tether worked with Blackberry Bold2 9700 with OS6 and Archos 70IT 8Gb

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 70
firmware 2.3.26
Rooted: No

Phone
Blackberry Torch
AT&T Wireless

apn: wap.cingular
user: blank
pass: blank

Result "Unable to connect by tethering"

I can see the blue light for a bluetooth connection light up when it is attempting to connect, it just never seems to get there.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Tmobile G2/ HTC Desire Z works great with froyo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nokia E52 connects easily and works well enough. Had to do some digging to get my APN settings though, but definitely worth it : )

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Not a bluetooth connection, but the sony arc works really well as a wfi hotspot,no app needed, its built in, been using it with my archos 101 quite happily.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

At last I can tether my Samsung Omnia II Verizon phone on my Archos 101. I've spent hours upon hours trying to get bluetooth tethering to work. I've been to at least 5 different forums and the solution was found in combining tips and tricks from all of these sources. Archosfans was the final breakthrough, too. So, here is what worked for me on my WM6.5 Verizon smartphone:

1. Turn on Bluetooth on phone.
2. Turn on bluetooth on Archos.
3. Pair the 2 devices. Don't worry about the "paired but not connected" message on the Archos.
4. Start ICS on your WM6.5 phone.
6. Select Bluetooth PAN in ICS on your phone.
7. Click "connect" in ICS
8. Go next to your phone's Task manager" and END ActivSync. This was a solution I read somewhere but can't remember which forum.
9. On Archos, go to tethering.
10. Select to turn on tethering, making sure you have set up a bluetooth profile first. At this point, you should also set up an USB connection profile and here is where you enter the APN that I found working for me: it's <your10digitphonenumber>.vzw3g (use the < and > ) Thanks to an archos fan for this APN.
11. It will begin to try to connect and you should get a message that you're now connected.

If the last step didn't work, soft reset the phone and Archos, that usually does the trick. I've also found that my speed was pretty fast, much faster than expected. When you are connected, you'll see a phone icon next to the bluetooth icon on the top right of the screen.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oops! I forgot to mention that WiFi must be turned off!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Posted this in another thread so I'll just copy/paste:

Here's a configuration that did NOT work.

Phone: Moto Droid 1, rooted, with Peter Alfonso's Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) ROM
Carrier: Verizon
Device: Archos 101

I could not get Bluetooth tethering to work under any circumstances...non-rooted Archos, rooted using regular firmware, and rooted with UrukDroid. I used different versions of Wireless Tether and Barnacle, and none of them worked. I could get my Droid and Archos to pair, but when I tried to tether, I got an alert that said "Could not connect by tethering." I wonder if it's something to do with my custom ROM or with Android 2.3 in general, since the Droid running Froyo does work for most people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was one who could bluetooth tether with my DroidX (NOT ROOTED!) with my 101. It was wonderful, and worked well when bluetooth GPS-ed as well.

Well, I did upgrade (still w/Verizon) to Samsung Chase. Great phone, but when I when exactly through the same process as the DroidX (which I duplicated with factory reset 101 just to make sure), the Samsung pairs, but does not show up as an eligible device when going through BT setup. The DroidX is still there, but I just can't get the Samsung to show up in the BT tether menus.

It's a sad loss. Anyone have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

wmayo44 wrote:
I was one who could bluetooth tether with my DroidX (NOT ROOTED!) with my 101. It was wonderful, and worked well when bluetooth GPS-ed as well.

Well, I did upgrade (still w/Verizon) to Samsung Chase. Great phone, but when I when exactly through the same process as the DroidX (which I duplicated with factory reset 101 just to make sure), the Samsung pairs, but does not show up as an eligible device when going through BT setup. The DroidX is still there, but I just can't get the Samsung to show up in the BT tether menus.

It's a sad loss. Anyone have any suggestions?

There is likely no Bluetooth DUN SDP record on the cellphone, probably because Verizon disabled it.

If you have access to a Linux computer with Bluetooth, put the phone in discoverable mode and do:

$ hcitool scan

That will spit out a list of discovered Bluetooth devices and their MAC addresses. Select the relevant MAC address and copy it into a command like this:

$ sdptool browse xx:xx:xx:...

That will spit out all SDP records the phone is advertising. You should see in there (or not) one that is called "Dial-up Networking" or similar- but the name field is actually arbitrary. To identify it for certain, you'd look for an RFCOMM service that has a UUID that is noted as belonging to the standardized DUN service. I am pretty sure that the sdptool knows which that is and would print out a "friendly name" of the known service UUID, but I am not 100% sure on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to mention that when I did the BT tethering successfully (DroidX), I never used DUN ... but PAN! I could never get the DUN working, and was quite surprised when PAN worked with a non-rooted phone (and still does w/Droidx, but it is inactivated so no data transfer is possible now).
Maybe that DUN record still is required ... maybe Verizon disabled something like that or similar. BTW, what is SDP?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

PAN is much better if it works. DUN is a horrible hack that really has a hard time working with non-Windows computers and devices. SDP is Service Discovery Protocol. That is the protocol Bluetooth devices use to inform each other of what they support. All these "profiles" you hear about are actually collections of low-level Bluetooth protocols that form a stack over which some practical task can be accomplished- DUN specifies an RFCOMM link, which is basically emulating a serial port (Radio Frequency COM port, basically). RFCOMM in turn is carried over lower level protocols that take care of reliability and the like. It's similar to the OSI model that's part of Networking 101.

SDP records specify what protocols are used for a particular service. Each record represents a service, which generally corresponds to some profile that you want to use, although software applications can certainly make their own protocol mashup for their own needs- Pandora does this, for example. So when you print out the SDP records of the device, you are seeing what services the device says it supports. The Archos uses this information in the tether menu to only show you those devices which say they support DUN or PAN. Part of the problem with the Archos' Bluetooth functionality and the tether part of it in particular is that it reads the SDP records at the time of device pairing, and does not re-read them unless the device is re-paired. So not only could that info change, e.g. by configuring the device differently or installing additional capability, but the details of a particular service could change, such as the channel a particular service is operating on. Channels are akin to TCP ports, you have to establish a radio link on the channel that the service you want is listening on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

will nokia C3 tether with archos A70 250GB IT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Sony Ericsson P1i works like a charm with the Archos 70, no special methods needed... Just pair the devices and go :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A70 and Sony Ericsson W995. Works flawlessly: i can transfer files in and out, use the phone as GPS device and remote control. Just paired them and marked Archos as trusted device on phone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Phone: Asus P552w
Software: Internet sharing - included in OS

Device: A101IT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

An old model phone of Nokia N72 worked for me for Bluetooth tethering... :) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

my phone work great coque sony xperia z4 coque samsung galaxy note 4

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12