Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Had my 604 wifi for about a week and been using my finger to navigate the screen,as a result the screen has got quite dirty,can anyone give me any suggestions on how to clean the screen without scratching it.MANY THANKS.......

Post subject: Screen Cleaning Advice
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What I do is get a very soft (totally clean - straight out of the box!) tissue and very slightly wet it (just a few drops of water). I gently wipe the screen with that. No chemicals and don't do it dry, whatever you do! Alternatively, use a very soft "fluff free" cotton sheet (e.g. I often use a corner of a clean pillow case in a hotel room when traveling with work) and again wet it very slightly with a few drops of water. Best not to use any tissues that produce a lot of "dust/fine fibers" or which have creams/moisturisers etc. impregnated in them (to "make" them feel softer).

I've used this technique on both of my AV420's for 2 years and my 604 wifi (for 2 months) as well as on other optical devices, e.g camcorder lenses and touch screens, laptop/PC screens, SLR camera lenses etc. over the years and have never scratched any of them. None have ever had (or so far, touch wood, needed) screen protectors but then I'm carefull with all my kit - but it all gets heavy use as I'm a frequent long haul flyer with my job, constantly traveling all over - off to Brazil yet again today for a week!

The key is just enough moisture to be a lubricant, not pressing too hard and continually presenting a clean/very slightly damp area of the cleaning cloth to the screen/lense. If you can see a bit of dirt be very careful removing it for fear of it scratching the screen at it moves around (especially if your press too hard). One idea is to dab it a few times with a slightly wetter patch of tissue and let it absorb some of the moisture before then trying to remove it. Never allow any "free water" around the edges of the screen ( :shock: !!!)

I guess a legal disclaimer should now follow!!! Just my suggestion/experience on this and good luck. Oh, and the people who pocket their 604 wifi's with their small change won't need to read this - their screens will be scratched horribly already! Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited by Andy W on Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Like Andy, I'm also VERY carefull with all my kit.

Whilst I'm sure Andy's technique is sound, another suggestion you may care to consider:

Having spent many years looking after my Nikon lenses, I find the method which works for me on Archos and othe products with a small screen, is as follows:

I keep a small lens cleaning cloth specially for the purpose of cleaning my Archos. Examine the screen carefully before wiping it to ensure there are no bits of grit etc which will scratch it - if there are any, they can usually be removed with the tip of a finger.

Once you are sure the screen is grit free, breath on it (like you see people do when cleaning their specs) and then wipe it gently with the lens cloth - the bit of moisture from your breath is just ensough to clean it nicely.

Lens cloths are great as they do not leave any fibres at all - they are totally lint free. They are quite cheap and are well worth it IMHO.

Hope this helps - same disclaimer as previous!

Regards,

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank guys.just been to JESSOPS and brought a lens cleaning cloth,should do the trick.. :D

Post subject: whoah thats not good
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

So wiping off with tshirt/finger is not good?
i havent seen any scratches so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

3M microfiber cloth is the best material to clean sensitive surface like screens and lenses. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I shall invest in an e-cloth. I gather they are very gentle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I use Novus 1 plastic polish on all my LCD screens. It leaves the surface very smooth so it is less likely to scratch and for the 604 WiFi and my PDA it makes the stylus glide over the screen further reducing the incedence of stylus scratches. I have since all but stopped using the buttons on my Archos and use the touch screen. It gives me complete control and I don't have to worry about wearing out the tact switches with frequent use. Like most Archos users that care enough about their expensive high-end machines to read this forum, I am very careful with all my portable devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
COMPUCAT says:
I use Novus 1 plastic polish on all my LCD screens.

I'm no expert, but I don't think usung Novus on the 604 WiFi screen is a good idea.

Novus is a very fine abrasive, but still an abrasive. I believe the WiFi touch screen has a protective coating (As a result, the 604 has a better looking screen than the 604 WiFi) ?????? The Novus will wear-down the coating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Novus 1 is not abrasive. It is a protectant for plastic surfaces. Novus 2 and 3 have differing levels of abrasive respectively and are used for removing scratches. Novus 1 is for preventing scratches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
COMPUCAT says:
Novus 1 is not abrasive

Good to know, thank you.