Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22
 Post subject: Re: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have owned 101 8G for approx one week, purchased at KMART.This is my first tablet but have used Ipad before.

IMHO Archos has made a GREAT tablet! Although it does not feel as substantial as the Ipad,in every other respect, I like A101 better,especially the price. Bought padded case at Walmart made by Wenger Swiss Gear for $17. Also added 8G SD card.
The screen is bright, sharp and clear. Photos and movies look great. Speakers are bearable for short periods but earphones sound very good. Wireless connection is very solid and web surfing is quite responsive.
I don't have a problem with viewing angles because I keep my face close to the screen due to poor vision. The keyboard is generally responsive enough but due to shaky fingers I make many errors (is there an app for that? :D)
I do find, however, that the space key needs considerably more pressure than other keys.

Overall, I give the A101 a rating of 8.5 out of 10. Compared to Ipad, I give it 11 out of 10! (do I detect bias?? :) )

dond624

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As someone who has owned an A101 for 7 months, I have to say candidly that it is the last Archos product that I will ever buy. It is a cheaply made product that was obviously rushed to market with one objective in mind - profit. Despite (or perhaps because of) installing every firmware upgrade as quickly as possible, the device has performed erratically at best. Since we got an iPad, both my wife and 11 year-old daughter have refused to use the A101. My daughter even goes so far as to state that she hates the A101 because of all the performance issues. The iPad on the other hand, works flawlessly. For a $100 price difference, there is a usability gaps of $1000 between the A101 and the iPad.

Archos customer support also seems to be almost non-existent. We have lost two 32 gig SD cards due to the defective SD card slot in the A101. At first I couldn't figure out what was going on - and was thinking (unfairly) that my daughter was losing the cards. Then one day while sitting at the desk using the A101 I saw the SD card go flying out of the slot and across the room. If I hadn't seen it happen, I would have assumed that another card just 'disappeared'... :-( Despite having turned in 2 service requests, Archos Support has not responded. Period.

So while I definitely have plans to buy other tablet devices in the near future, Archos will never see another penny from me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have owned my 101 for 7 months also. At first I loved it. Everyone was having USB host issues, not me; speaker issues, not me. People didn't like the viewing angle, didn't bother me. Wifi issues, not me. I finally lost the functionality of my USB host and the speakers. I can do without the USB, but not the speakers. I will not be buying another Archos product. In this day and age, no new electronic product should have so many issues within the first year. I won't buy an iPad either as I am not an Apple fan. I will keep my search up for a better quality Android device.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've had my 101 for about two months. Based on my experience, I could not in good conscience recommend to anyone. At best I would say:

1. wait until the next gen comes out
2. then let someone else buy it
3. then find out all of the bugs/problems
4. Then wait 6 months and see if they get resolved
5. If it does, then see what else the market has to offer at that point

THEN you can consider buying it.

I don't have any hate toward archos or the 101. I can say however that a device like this should not need as much attention as this one seems to. I have to reboot daily to get smooth operation and have formatted and started from scratch at LEAST 3 times in an effort to make the device work properly. I consider myself fortunate enough to be tech savvy and able to figure out most things on my own but if I was a "non-techie" person I would be seriously pissed off. :evil:

Again... no hate. just observations.

Last edited by Harfainx on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

For UK punters, the 101 is now being sold by The Carphone Warehouse for £149. Free 1 day delivery. Haven't opened it yet but thanks to the comments of you guys it must be a great buy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:54 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I have had my 101 since early Dec. 2010.
I just sent it in RMA for the failed USB port.
I hope they have finally resolved the USB issue.
Anyway, on July 30th I took advantage of the $100. off a tablet at Staples and purchased the Acer Iconia Tab A500.
It is heavier than the Archos but has a better screen and a working USB port.
The 101 may have a 10.1 inch screen but it is not as big as other 10.1 screens because the screen is longer and not as high or wide.
I doubt I'll use the Archos much when I get it back. I may sell it.
I never have to calibrate the Acer Iconia screen, which I had to do with the 101 every month or so.
I would have liked to try the Toshiba thrive but it is not our yet.
It has a full size sd slot and a full size hdmi port along with a full size usb port.
But I'm very satisfied with the Acre Iconia.
And for M1k3g, the micro sd slot in the Iconia is not exposed, so the sd will not pop out by itself. It is inside a covered slot on the top.
Also the power button has to be held for 3 seconds to boot up and does not stick out which I had a problem with.
Every time I put it in something to take it somewhere with me, the power button would always get bumped and turn the unit on.

Post subject: Owner Reviews - A101
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is a defective product. I have sent it back twice and all they do is send you a new tablet. I have 101IT-v6 board and every time your told the unit has a firmware update and you install the update you lose your USB port. The SD port does not got out it stays ON. I refused to sent it back a 3rd time; because the time and the aggravation to set it back to where we had it. We also have an Archos 7 another piece of crap; without some special program you can't read, open and install the update. It is a product which belongs in the trash can and not your home. I recommend you by a Sony, Asus, or Samsung tablet; because other than continue this game of return-shipments with Archos. You simply have to reach the conclusion they can't fix these tablet problems, because the product is defective in the first place. Otherwise a firmware upgrade would correct the loss of the USB port. Twice we sent it back, twice happened again, the 3rd time is "Strike Three" goodbye Archos!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:17 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

After having the Archos 101 for 9 months and an Acer Iconia A500 for 5 1/2 weeks I can honestly say I like the Acer much better. It is heavier but feels more solid.
I also like the screen on the Iconia better.
While the Archos 101 may be a 10.1 it is only about 1/8 an inch longer but about 1/2 inch shorter in height.
Archos does not even interest me now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All good things have come to an end, at last I sold my 101 Internet Tablet these days. I enjoyed some of the 101s capabilities, like Music and Video (I enjoyed these both quite a lot) ... I had never a working USB port on the other hand, the SD card slot made trouble as well, whe Wifi connection worked and then worked not, the daily ups and downs of a Tablet User (in despair at times). Never the less, I used it most time for Music and Videos, and from that point I tend to say it was an acceptable purchase at that time!

What I found interesting after using Tablets for 2 years (besides Music and Videos), I dont really "used" them (productivity was far less than I expected, it was more about playing). However, no Tablets for me next Generation or maybe 2, ... possiby in 3 or 5 years I give it another try.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have owned my 101 for less than a week.

I did find that there are some bugs -- the most confusing one for me has been the one where you do the firware update thru the unit's menu and it fails every time . Turns out the automatic update is downloading the wrong firmware. Doing a manual install is the fix.

The feel of the unit overall to me is good.....compared to an ipad (original version) the screen is a little less responsive. But the unit was also less than half the price. It is very usable.

I have had a few issues with the USB port in that when I have a stick drive mounted sometimes the unit reboots itself inexplicably...still watching that to see if it is me or the unit doing something dumb.

Havent tried adding an external SD card yet...hoping it isnt as big an issue as some say as far as the card popping out. Of course, it wouldnt be that big a deal to just place a small square of tape over the port once the card is in just to have some measure of safety....though I agree its a poor design if the card can pop out on its own.

It seems like the battery is drained pretty quickly, but I am still learning the ins and outs of this thing so maybe it is just me.

One thing that drives me crazy is how the unit seesm to power itself on due to the power button being so easy to push on.....I turn the unit off and put it in my bag and the thing ends up being in standby mode when I go to use it again.....wish there was a way to lock out the power button for travel.

I am pretty new to tablets so maybe that is why I cant see all the negatives that people are posting. But overall so far I think its a groovy tablet, especially for the $230 price tag.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have had my Archos 101 G9 16gb for five days now. I don't have a problem with the viewng angle at all. The speaker is a bit jittery at full volume. I've only ever owned an Ipod touch so I am used to Apple. I found it easy to set up and navigate around. The user manual is a bit useless. I successfully connected to my wifi connection first time and have had no issues with the browser. I synced all my pictures and music without a hitch. My main problem at the moment is with videos. I tried to sync a digital copy of a movie but I have so far been unsucessful. Also I don't know where to go to download movies for my Archos which is frustrating as I really want to be able to watch videos on the go. So far I am enjoying my new tablet and am looking forward to exploring more of it features. I am new to using an Andriod product and have seen the bad reviews but so far so good, fingers crossed it stays that way!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Easy to rip your own DVDs and play them on the tablet via USB stick or putting them on an SD card and there's plenty of software out there to do it for you. I do like the tablet, but think it's top heavy and awkward to hold for long when reading an ebook, for example. The backlit screen becomes hard to look at for long and is far and away the wrong size for book reading. There's obvious "stutter" with some apps which mkes me think the lack of memory is showing it's age for this device. Nice for casual use, but I think it's had it's day otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

greyrider wrote:
There's obvious "stutter" with some apps which mkes me think the lack of memory is showing it's age for this device. Nice for casual use, but I think it's had it's day otherwise.

This is going to be an inherent problem for a while with ALL tablet devices. The hardware technology is moving very quickly right now (Much like PC's did several years back) and it feels like as soon as you purchase something it is already out of date. When hardware improves software (which always pushes hardware's limitations) goes along with it. The 101 is "dated" at this point and the memory just isn't enough. I still use it as you mentioned for casual use. I can watch movies on it when I travel and I can surf the internet when there is WiFi.

Probably within the next year or so I will purchase something else. I am still curious to see what the new windows tablets are going to do. There is an awful lot of hype going on right now and "glowing" reviews that I dont know arent bought and paid for by MS. The proof will be in the pudding I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well I got mine cheap from the 'bay so I'm not really going to whinge too much. The main reasons I got it - apart from having drunk too much wine that evening - where the stated long use from battery and the ability to play through a TV. I'm very pleased with battery and am getting, so far, a good two days light use which compared to having my smart die after an hour of WiFi work is sublime. I found using it through a TV almost impossible and a bitter disappointment after having bought a mini HDMI lead just for that purpose.

I think that for a few years old device it's good enough, but wish now I'd waited and spent out for dual core processors and BIG memory.
No worries though, I can always grab a Kobo for the sunshine and continue to use this 'till it dies...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Laganwanderer wrote:
I have had my Archos 101 G9 16gb for five days now. I don't have a problem with the viewng angle at all. The speaker is a bit jittery at full volume. I've only ever owned an Ipod touch so I am used to Apple. I found it easy to set up and navigate around. The user manual is a bit useless. I successfully connected to my wifi connection first time and have had no issues with the browser. I synced all my pictures and music without a hitch. My main problem at the moment is with videos. I tried to sync a digital copy of a movie but I have so far been unsucessful. Also I don't know where to go to download movies for my Archos which is frustrating as I really want to be able to watch videos on the go. So far I am enjoying my new tablet and am looking forward
to exploring more of it features. I am new to using an Andriod product and have seen the bad reviews but so far so good, fingers crossed it stays that way!

Hi guys, When you purchase a digital copy movie, they're always DRM-protected. That means you can't transfer/synv the digital copy movie to Archos 101 G9. If you want to play the videos on players like Archos 101 G9., you need to remove DRM from digital copy and convert digital copy to Archos 101 G9 support video formats like MP4, AVI, etc. If you are interested, you can see my article [How to Remove digital copy drm and sync digital copy movie to Archos tablet]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 101 - 16GB
- China
- Buy on 20th,Nov,2010
Review: works fine untill now for i protect it carefully. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That screen issue is funny.Archos.housse galaxy tab 3 10.1 etui samsung galaxy tab 3 7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A101 8gb
From Archos
USA

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The Archos 101 Internet Tablet is one of the largest tablets currently available. With a 10.1in display its screen is technically larger than the 9.7in Apple iPad 2, but thanks to its widescreen aspect ratio, the difference in design is much greater than a simple size bump.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22