Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 5:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I have problem with my WIFI, I have the Archos 5 Android - 8GB

The Wifi disconnect randomly every minute or five or sometimes every 15 to 20 minutes ! if I try to reconnect it gives me the Unsuccessfull Message, the only way to reconnect is to turn the Wifi Off/ On !! even when I restart the device it will not connect and needs the Wifi off then On in order to reconnect !

I have Netgear Access Point and having no problems at all with my Ipod Touch and Laptop.

I am using WPA-TKIP on my access point and tried setting the Archos Powersave On/Off which didnt solve the problem, also I tried to manually choose the WPA on the Archos but the problem is still the same.

On my IPod Touch, even on standby mode, it connects every 20 minutes to pull my emails and then disconnect, while it stays connected if the device is connected to the power charger.

On my Archos, it is disconnecting on standby mode no matter what settings I choose (Power Save off/on) and the email application can't initiate the connection and pull the emails unless the device is on the power charger and the WIFI is connected ! however even on the power charger the WIFI will disconnects after short time due to the problem mentioned above !!

PLESASE HELP ! I formatted my Archos using the Repair tool under the settings but the problem still the same ! Did anybody have the same problem ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have a question.

Have you tried settng a different channel from the other wireless networks in range, and did you change the default name of your wireless network to one that no one else has? A lot of people make the mistake of leaving the default linksys or d-link name, and then wonder why they have signal problems. Use your wireless browser to look at ALL the neighboring network names and channels to be sure there is no conflict.

If your netgear is wireless N capable, make sure that you check the wireless N settings as well. Is the Archos the only N device listed in your wireless client table?

Just some things to check since I think that the ipod isn't wireless N, but G instead. Not an ipod owner, so I am not possitive though.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yep, iPod Touch is G, not N.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you very much for the reply, I have a unique network name and one time when I had the hack I checked the. channels and it showed some traffic on all. Channels from 1 to 11. On my netgear I can't find any N settings while it is N type! Will. Check again and let u know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I found it! And you won't believe it! I used to have static ip settings and it seems that the access point still showing 192.168.1.5 for my archos while I set the ip in my archoa to 192.168.1.97 !!!!!! When iclick on my archos.it shows that it is connected using the static ip while on the access point it still shows the archos connected using different dynamic ip as stated above! !!!! I. Changed my settings to dynamic and everything was solved!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ain't life grand, asatar2! :D

At least until the next fun thing comes up ...

Congrats =D>

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have the exact same problem and i'm going to try your solution. I'm on a college university campus that is completely wireless, but archos tends to loose connection every 5 min. the same way. It shouldn't as i've had a itouch for a year and did not have this problem as long i was stationary. Any solutions considering my particular setting?

Neibl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

My device is having same problem except it has not been on a static IP at all. Is there some way to fix the wifi so it just stays on once it connects. My laptop has perfect wireless where my A5A doesn't work at all or for more than a minute.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:22 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Neibl wrote:
My device is having same problem except it has not been on a static IP at all. Is there some way to fix the wifi so it just stays on once it connects. My laptop has perfect wireless where my A5A doesn't work at all or for more than a minute.

What kind of security do you have on the network? I was having the same problem while using WEP encryption. I changed it to WPA2 and turned off the b mode on my router and now it seems to work fine. Of course now I can't connect my old iPaq...

Oh... one more thing - I had to turn off Wireless Protected Setup. For some reason all of my devices were having troubles connected while that was on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:44 am 
Archos User
Archos User

no security its open, I stoped using wep due to readings of its trouble. I hear wpa is best, I changed the number of channels from 14 to 11 andthat has made it a lot more stable. What does channel option mean? What's difference btwn more or less? Only did it due to forum suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This seems like the right thread.

Just got my A5A after two month back order wait.

Already have one stuck pixel i can't seem to fix and I can't get a wireless connection. I used my computer to update to latest firmware already to see if that might help.

I have a WEP encryption, a unique network name, disabled powersave, looked up wi-fi MAC address and added it to my network list even though I'm not blocking MAC addresses. I use a 2-wire router and can't figure this out. I changed the wireless channel to 11 because I read that might help.

If anyone has any ideas It would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oh sh!t I just figured it out. Got my wi-fi HELLLLSS YYEAAAGHHHHH!

Now if anyone has any bright ideas for the pixel thing. I tried rubbing it and I downloaded that video from the wiki a while ago.

Will it really help to have that run for a long time?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So what was the problem and how did you fix it? Might help the next person who has the same question...

And yeah, if the video is going to work, it can take time. And it might not work. Still, it's worth a shot.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not sure what finally got the wifi to stick. I was changing a lot of things. I reset the password on the network a couple times, and some other stuff. I ended up re-setting the password in the archos for the tenth time and it just connected right away. I ended with:

The block MAC address turned off
- Still had the address manually added to the network for good measure
Changed the channel to 11 (not sure if that did anything)
Still using WEP

The only difference I think that changed anything was I ended up resetting the network password to the default on the 2wire router. That is when I seemed to get it to work.

As for the pixel. I hate to be a nag but a constant blue pixel on an otherwise flawless screen bugs me when i payed so much. If I don't get it fixed I'm getting Best Buy to take it back and get me another. It's just a pain because I waited so long to get the sucker.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If that's the case, why even waste time trying to get it unstuck? Just swap it out ASAP and get it over with?

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

changing my channel form 14 to 11 made a GREAT impact on stability of the brower. It is not perfect, but loses connection far less now than before, but remember be patient with the Archos it requires constant tweaks to keep performance where the owner likes it. Thats my experience at least and i'm not tech genius, just fan.

Neibl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm a bit late to the party as far as this thread is concerned, but it's where I ended up trying to sort out my WiFi issues so here are my 2 cents worth for anyone else who finds themselves looking for answers!

Out the box my Archos 5 Internet Tablet had flakey WiFi to say the least. Very frustrating and I started cursing even buying it (I know I'm not alone). After a nights sleep I tackled the problem again and found this forum. Either one or the other or a combination of both has sorted out the Wifi for me:

1) Upgrade the firmware. Download the latest from the Archos website and follow the instructions. The release notes for updates mentions a fix for the WiFi issues, but this didn't solve the problem until I ...

2) Turned PowerSave "OFF".

It was as simple as that in my case and only cost me a few hairs on my scalp. Enjoying the little device now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i saw the powersave option b4, but where is it? i dont wanna change my security type or mess with my router if thats all it is, had my archos5 for 3 days and really wanna keep it, but flaky wifi, and the fact that bluetooth wont auto reconnect is choosing otherwise. i appreciate any help.