Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For those who know about the program I Highly recommend for all your encoding needs is SUPER it has just been updated. Check out the LINK.

These are the two programs you should use. The one for DVD ripping is DVDFAB it is more up to date than dvd decrypter(First Link)

And for encoding like I mentioned above is the program SUPER(second Link)

http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

An alternative to DVDFab is RipIt4Me. Get it here:

http://www.ripit4me.org/

It requires other programs (all free) to work:
DVD Decrypter (which does the actual ripping)
FixVTS (which can fix problem files)
DVD Shrink (doesn't really Shrink to work, but is handy to have as RipIt4Me can call Shrink)

I've had RipIt4Me succeed when DVDFab failed. I keep both in my video "toolbox".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I used to use DVDDecrypter but now use DVD Shrink because it makes the files a little smaller.

I found A-One DVD Ripper which is really good because you can change loads of settings but in the trial you can only do about 20 mins of the DVD and I am yet to find a crack. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My problem with Super is the fact it only converts wmv8 and I can not do 9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DVDFAB is not free
Edit: MY bad full DVDFab platinum (both ripping and encoding) is not free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What you people are failing to mention is that EVERY ONE of these solutions produces an out-of-sync audio/video once in a while. This is a pain in the arse because you have to scrub through the file manually to check for it.

This sync problem is rooted in the copyright protection system, and even DVDFabHD can't get around it. Mostly newer discs have it, and it's Hollywood's revenge by letting you do all the ripping work and waste your time with a useless result.

The ultimate solution IMHO is a Neuros OSD or MP4 recorder. Yeah, it's gonna set you back a few greenbacks, but it's a HARDWARE solution that is completely immune from ANY copyright protections that exist now or in the future.

www.neurostechnology.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah i was thinking about buying this too but, if your archos is working correctly, you should be able to RIP dvd's just like Neuros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

suproach wrote:
Yeah i was thinking about buying this too but, if your archos is working correctly, you should be able to RIP dvd's just like Neuros.

No, not unless you have a hardware decrypter (illegal in US) installed on the cable. The Supreme Court ruling in the 80's in favor of Sony is that making a personal copy (a backup) for yourself or to watch later (timeshift) is legal, but defeating the copy protection is illegal.

That's the fine point that makes a big difference. The Neuros hardware doesn't defeat or decrypt the copy protection, it simply ignores it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The best encoding/converting software I've ever used is Nero Recode. You can load up as many videos as you want and just push start. As long as you leave your computer alone and don't open other programs while it's working, you shouldn't have any sync problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

GRP05 wrote:
The best encoding/converting software I've ever used is Nero Recode. You can load up as many videos as you want and just push start. As long as you leave your computer alone and don't open other programs while it's working, you shouldn't have any sync problems.

Are you saying you never have any sync problems with Nero Recode? Even autogk has sync problems from time to time and that is by far the most widely used VOB recoder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

To be fair, the downside to using a flash memory recorder is that the resulting file is a composite (analog) copy and will not have AC3 5.1 preserved.

And as a side note, I used to extoll the virtues of WMV9, but have since decided that Xvid/Mp3 is a more practical format.

There is a somewhat new encoder called "MediaCoder" that seems very good, although a little buggy, but it has templates and is using the latest web technology. The guy writing it is an opensource enthusiast. Look for this software to make tremendous inroads into recoding. It picks up where autogk left off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Budwzr wrote:
<snip>Even autogk has sync problems from time to time and that is by far the most widely used VOB recoder.

I've been using AutoGK for a long time now. I have yet to have any sync issues. Count me lucky perhaps but I've never ripped a movie was out of snyc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bizzyb0t wrote:
Budwzr wrote:
<snip>Even autogk has sync problems from time to time and that is by far the most widely used VOB recoder.

I've been using AutoGK for a long time now. I have yet to have any sync issues. Count me lucky perhaps but I've never ripped a movie was out of snyc.

That surprises me. Because I used to use DVDFabHD & autogk and about 1 in 10 files has a sync issue. I really like autogk. Did you have to tweak it or anything? Like in the hidden settings? Do you run it in default setup?

Can you share your settings? Like bitrate, resolution, etc. Maybe it's DVDFabHD that's introducing the sync problem. I've read that it's a copy protection that sneaks through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

MediaCoder is free and powerful

I use the Archos 500 extension 480 x 272 and I'm all set.

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I use dvd decrypter in IFO mode because in the settings you can set it to not split the film into seperate files. then i use pocket divx encoder.
Can u do the same in dvdfab decrypter so when you rip the film to the hard drive its just the film and is one file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

bizzyb0t wrote:
Budwzr wrote:

Yeah, me too. I have used DVD Fab and RipIt4Me to rip well over a hundred discs and I have never experienced a sync problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That's great that the 604 likes all your files. Wish I had the same luck. I'm also running a network media player (DSM-520) and that's where most of the sync problems occur.

And I also have a Neuros OSD as my main network media player and ripper, and that one plays most every thing fine like the 604.

Maybe the problem is in the playback device, not in autogk or DVDFab. I know Xilisoft recently upgraded their ripping software to include a check box fo audio/video sync. So the problem does exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Budwzr wrote:
That's great that the 604 likes all your files. Wish I had the same luck. I'm also running a network media player (DSM-520) and that's where most of the sync problems occur.

And I also have a Neuros OSD as my main network media player and ripper, and that one plays most every thing fine like the 604.

Maybe the problem is in the playback device, not in autogk or DVDFab. I know Xilisoft recently upgraded their ripping software to include a check box fo audio/video sync. So the problem does exist.

Maybe it is something in the way the video is transported from the PC to the TV. Whenever I rip a DVD, I always do some post-processing on it to get rid of the stuff they force you watch prior to the menu and then rebuild the DVD before I burn it to disc. I use DVD Remake for this. I don't have a media player like the DSM-520 or Neuros, so I either use the new disc or the Archos in the DVR station to view the content.

I do have a question on the Neuros. If I am reading the Web site correctly, it digitizes the analog video output from your DVD player, etc and then routes that to some recording media like the PC or a PMP. It looks like its more of a "recorder" than a "ripper". I consider a recorder to be like a VCR where the analog video source is recorded real time while a ripper copies the digital DVD file structure that is on the DVD disc. When you record something using the Neuros, what is the format of the resulting video file? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by Gildor on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've heard fair4use is a excellent drm remover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Gildor wrote:
Budwzr wrote:
I do have a question on the Neuros. If I am reading the Web site correctly, it digitizes the analog video output from your DVD player, etc and then routes that to some recording media like the PC or a PMP. It looks like its more of a "recorder" than a "ripper". I consider a recorder to be like a VCR where the analog video source is recorded real time while a ripper copies the digital DVD file structure that is on the DVD disc. When you record something using the Neuros, what is the format of the resulting video file? Am I missing something here?

Right, it's an analog recorder. the resulting file size is user selectable up to 2500 bitrate 640X480, and the format is mp4-sp/AAC or mp3. I sexed it up a bit by using the term "ripper". The upside to the OSD is that the analog backup is totally legal, while the ripped videos are not.