Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How do I set up my PC so that it can see the 604 and vice-versa? I've set up a network and shared drives with no success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi there,

Do you have a firewall on the PC? Make sure it is set to allow the Archos to have access to it. I was having problems accessing the computer until I did this. Now I can stream video and music to the Archos in the living room and can set the archos to be a wireless drive seen by the PC.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry for being thick, but, how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have set the Archos up on the router and I can get onto the internet ok, it's just my PC I can't see (and vice-versa).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i'm having a similar problem, i can see my comptor from my archos, but not the archos from the computor. Anyone know a possible way to fix this? I turned my firewall off but it still wasnt visible

Post subject: read the FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This info should be in the FAQ as far as not seeing the archos. Turn the file server on and then see if you can see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi markdk25,

What firewall are you using? Norton, Windows or ?

Joe

Post subject: Re: read the FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mojorisin69 wrote:
This info should be in the FAQ as far as not seeing the archos. Turn the file server on and then see if you can see it.

my fileserver is on, i can see my computors files but not vice versa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

what operating system are you using? If you are using Vista you could have some issues with Samba also make sure your archos and computer have similiar ip address schemes and the same subnet. Try turning off any antivirus or firwalls that could block port 139(I think thats the right port).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mojorisin69 wrote:
what operating system are you using? If you are using Vista you could have some issues with Samba also make sure your archos and computer have similiar ip address schemes and the same subnet. Try turning off any antivirus or firwalls that could block port 139(I think thats the right port).

im using xp media center edition, and my firewall was turned off and my anti virus isnt blocking that port. would adding port 139 to the exceptions list on my firewall help?

Post subject: maybe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You might try to add port 139.Also try to ping the ip adress of the archos from your pc.If you can ping it it is a port issue if you cant there is probably an ip issue also make sure you have the microsoft file sharing client installed.

Post subject: Re: read the FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

RTbar wrote:
Mojorisin69 wrote:

my fileserver is on, i can see my computer's files but not vice versa
He means "Fileserver Mode" on the Archos. It's under "settings".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, basically I turned off all software firewalls, Windows and Zone Alam. I am using XP. The IP addresses of the Archos and PC are 64 and 65 on the same subnet, I can even ping the Archos yet still canoot see it on the Network or see the PC from the Archos.

So you think it may be a port issue? What is port 139 and how do I add it?

Cheers for the help.

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Do both pieces have the same workgroup specified? (defaults to MSHOME on WinXP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did try setting them the same with no joy, although the only place I see the workgroup setting is in the fileserver part.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

One other thing you could do is try to ftp into the archos when you turn on the file server on the archos. Also check your router to make sure it is not filtering port 139.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Alrighty so here we go, a couple weeks back I got my wifi 604 and have been working since to perfect wireless connectivity over a dlink wireless router

Here are the steps to enable a wireless file server

1. Create a home network between all your computers, ensure that they are all under the same network name (default is MSHOME). You can do this by using the wizard in the windows control panel

2. Activate any additional folders you want to share on your computers by right clicking on the folder and enabling the share option

3. In your startup menu on the 604 wifi bring up the side menu (press the menu button) and select the "enable wifi" button, connect to your wireless network

4. Go to the fileserver option on your 604 and activate your file server, make 100% sure that the workgroup option is filled in with your networks name (MSHOME by default). You will find that the button to enable the file server WILL NOT WORK if you havent yet connected to your wireless network. It does not do it automatically as the web browser does.

that was how I discovered how to enable the file server option on my 604 wifi ^_^

Now the trickier part: Being able to browse shared computer folders from your 604's folder interface

Now that my wireless file server was working i attempted the browsing feature and found that it did not work. Remembering previous difficulties with my networked folders when trying to see them from other computers I troublshooted by shutting off my firewall. This provided an immediate solution

My laptop uses a McAfee firewall so I am going to detail the steps i took to allow permission

1. Open your McAfee SecurityCenter panel from your icon on the taskbar
2. On the Righthand side select the personal firewall tab
3. Select Options from the new panel
4. Then under the "tools" section select "system services
5. Scroll to the very bottom and put a checkmark next to the
Windows File Sharing (NETBIOS) Ports 137-139

The last line is super important, those are your file sharing ports that need to be open to allow file sharing across a wireless network. Opening these ports on any firewall should yield the wanted results if the firewall is the problem

Hope that helps anyone who needed some help ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cool, thats a pretty exhaustive explanation, ill let you know the outcome.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

where exactly on the computor do you find the fileserver? i have those ports enabled in my firewall and i turned on wifi and fileserver and i still cant fnd the wifi on my comp. any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Right click on your taskbars star button and select the "explore" option and scroll down to the icon labelled "my network places" and open it. It should be in there