Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the cinema plugin and use dvd decrypter to rip vob files, however I am getting choppy video or sound with a number of vob files - I have emailed tech support but have received no reply - is anyone else having the same problems? -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

At the beginning of one movie, I saw some choppiness, but it seemed to smooth out a bit after about 20 seconds which is sort of odd. I haven't spent much time with it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have reripped files and reinstalled plugin and still get jumpy video & crackling sound with same two vobs, others work fine so I can't understand how these differ. I have even ripped the same file on two occasions with the different software. Must be the plugin, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dowsett34 wrote:
I have reripped files and reinstalled plugin and still get jumpy video & crackling sound with same two vobs, others work fine so I can't understand how these differ. I have even ripped the same file on two occasions with the different software. Must be the plugin, no?

It might be the bit-rate of the data in the VOB's. Perhaps the Archos can't quite keep up? I find this hard to believe considering it plays Mpeg4/AVC videos just fine which should require a lot more processing power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is certainly struggling with these files as I have ripped another vob and it will play for 10 seconds with choppy video and sound before restarting the player

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What can it handle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The vob I am having problems with is AC3 448kb/s

Post subject: convert it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just for grins convert the vobs to avi using super and see if it is still choppy it maybe a codec that was used to create the vob. Also try using dvdfab decrypter I recently started using it with better results than dvd decrypter.

Here's the link.

http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

Post subject: Re: convert it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mojorisin69 wrote:
Just for grins convert the vobs to avi using super and see if it is still choppy it maybe a codec that was used to create the vob. Also try using dvdfab decrypter I recently started using it with better results than dvd decrypter.

Here's the link.

I am ripping the vobs straight and dragging and dropping them, so I guess it can't be a codec?

Post subject: Re: convert it
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mojorisin69 wrote:

Here's the link.

I'll try dvdfab decrypter, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, I have the same problem with Sin City. Its the only one I've tried so far, but dowsett34 I think you are right, its due to the audio stream - it has three AC3 streams, the first two are English & another language @ 448kb/s and 384kb/s. Both of these cause video stutter and audio clicks. The third is audio + commentary @ 192kb/s. This plays back perfectly.

Seems quite clear to me. If others find that some vobs play okay and others not can you report the details of the audio stream here?

I will give Archos a ring and see what they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:39 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I had the sound crackling problem for some parts of I Robot, but only really intense scenes when the sound was ver loud and complex. Does this matter for a codec? Because the fps would be the same throughout the movie right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

jibbajab wrote:
Yes, I have the same problem with Sin City. Its the only one I've tried so far, but dowsett34 I think you are right, its due to the audio stream - it has three AC3 streams, the first two are English & another language @ 448kb/s and 384kb/s. Both of these cause video stutter and audio clicks. The third is audio + commentary @ 192kb/s. This plays back perfectly.

Seems quite clear to me. If others find that some vobs play okay and others not can you report the details of the audio stream here?

Why are you ripping all three audio streams? I don't think the Archos has a way to select from these anyway does it? Like you can't swap between film soundtrack and Director's commentary stream, as far as I know.

I just rip the primary audio stream. I've never noticed jerkiness on playing back any vob so far (ripped about 1 dozen).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:50 am 
Archos User
Archos User

i notice with vob files if there can be multiple streams of audio i can select between them.

sometimes the harddrive read rate cant keep up also. i have a mpeg4 file that is 9800kbs for video. not only the archos has issues playing but sortly after it load, the device shut itself down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

KeithO wrote:
jibbajab wrote:

Why are you ripping all three audio streams? I don't think the Archos has a way to select from these anyway does it? Like you can't swap between film soundtrack and Director's commentary stream, as far as I know.

I just rip the primary audio stream. I've never noticed jerkiness on playing back any vob so far (ripped about 1 dozen).

Yes, you can switch between them. You will see a flag with e.g. 1/3 indicating which audio stream you're listening to. Touching it will change the stream. As for why, I just copied the file across without any changes - simple. I don't think having only 1 audio stream will fix it as it already plays the 192kb/s stream fine.

Are you re-encoding the audio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

jibbajab wrote:
KeithO wrote:
jibbajab wrote:

Yes, you can switch between them. You will see a flag with e.g. 1/3 indicating which audio stream you're listening to. Touching it will change the stream. As for why, I just copied the file across without any changes - simple. I don't think having only 1 audio stream will fix it as it already plays the 192kb/s stream fine.

Are you re-encoding the audio?

Interesting, thanks. But you say 'touching it will change the stream' so I assume you have a 604 with touch screen? Do you know if this is also possible on a 504? I haven't yet found a way to switch streams. Maybe it is buried in the menu somewhere?