Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: File Sharing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello folks, I├óÔé¼Ôäóm a rookie when it comes to networking and file sharing.

I need help connecting to my connecting to my laptop. It is on the same wireless router as my 604wifi.
Now I├óÔé¼Ôäóm real new when it comes to this├óÔé¼┬ªI├óÔé¼Ôäóve tried looking around online for step-by-step tutorials but I couldn├óÔé¼Ôäót find anything that simplifies it for me.
Can anyone walk me threw it step by step please? I need to know what the settings would be in the archos if the settings on the laptop are:

IP Address : 192.168.2.183
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.2.1
DNS Server : 192.168.2.1

Also, if the name of my Workgroup is : WORGROUP, does the file sharing settings in the archos have to be the same, or does it have to be different?? How do I set that screen up?

If someone can take the time to walk me through the whole process I├óÔé¼Ôäód greatly appreciate it. I know most of you guys know how to do this with your eyes closed but I├óÔé¼Ôäóm not that resourceful. Hehehehe

Thanks in advance to the brave soul to help me out.

B.

Post subject: File sharing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Step 1
The easiest way to allow file sharing from your computer to your archos is to go to the start button,then the control panel,then to network connections.Then you want to setup a small office network, go through the steps and answer the questions at the end it will ask if you want to enable file sharing and you will say yes.This step will allow you to get through the windows xp firewall. If you have another firewall you will need to open port 139(google this in case Im wrong), Ok thats the first part and now here is part 2.

Step 2
Go into windows explorer and right click the folder you want to share. Go to where it says Sharing. Click you want to share and apply. You must be an admin to due any of steps one and two.

Step 3
From the Archos go to the browser and click network.You should be able to see all work groups that are shared.

Your archos,computer,or laptop must be on the same subnet, this is only a problem if you have more than router or if you have static ip setup in most cases step 3 should be it. In order to copy files to your archos you can use the browser like step 3 or you can turn on the file server and use a program like filezilla to upload via ftp but you will need to know the ip of the archos in order to file share this way. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Mojorisin69,
wow it sounds so easy. I feel stupid. Anyways thanks for the help. I think a bigger issue was the connection I'm on. It's SSID and I can't seem to get a connection at all anymore. I think I might have to do the advanced format from SamY.

Thanks again Mojorisin69.

B.

Post subject: wifi issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You also might try a different channel. From what I understand you will have to broadcast your ssd on your router in order to see it on the archos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

With firmware 1.6.05, the router doesn't have to broadcast the SSID for the 604wifi to find it. But it might not find it first try but if you have everything else right you can see the network in the list of available networks and connect (this is for a network with WPA encryption enabled).

So you can be stealth & use your device too. It's just not straightforward. Went to the airport afterwards and got on their open network also.

Bugs still there - the SSID cannot have spaces in the name.