Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: cannot get online, HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:26 am 
Hi everyone, i just bought a 604 wifi today, came home and cannot get the wifi to work.
i can connect to my router, but everytime i load opera it saids "could not locate remote server, http.........."
i read through all the post, spend a few hours already, i tried to restore my router back to default setting, tried with and without WEP setting, changing the SSID to something else, updating the 604 firmware to the latest one online, still no luck

please help, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe that after updating to the latest firmware, you can go in the mode "Restore all thumbnails and temporary files"..

If that doesn't help, it might be the thing that your hotspot is asking for an Internet Explorer authentification, which Firefox on a computer can trick the hotspot to think it is IE. But that the Opera browser on the Archos currently does not do that trick, but Archos and Opera might be working to fix this in a future firmware. I for example cannot use some McDonalds free hotspots here near Montparnasse in Paris because of this IE-only-authentification bug.

You could try to walk around in your town and connect to other hotspots to see it's working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:15 pm 
Miccocan,
I have exactly the same problem you describe with my 604 wifi - can connect to my wifi router no problem but can't browse to any website at all.
Out of the box I had this problem and then even after upgrading to the latest firmware, same thing.
I was planning to do the same trouble-shooting you have done but maybe I shouldn't bother now. I can't see how it's anything to do with a hotspot asking for IE authentication since it's not actually a hotspot, it's my home wifi system. I have multiple pc's here using the wifi network and using IE, Mozilla etc as a browser.
If anyone knows of a fix, it will be appreciated!
I'm off on holiday soon and will be taking the 604 wifi with me so I'll try it on the hotel wifi and see if I get anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

1. Make sure your router(lan side) is setup for DHCP.
2. Make sure your SSID is set to broadcast.
3. Try a different channel.
4. Try your archos at a hotspot.
5. Upgrade firmware.
6. Make sure your archos is setup for DHCP.
7. Make sure you turn off mac filtering or config mac filtering on your router.
8. Clear out the cache and system files.
9. Try a different wireless router(highly suggest gettin a belkin pren).
10. Try moving your router.
11. Due SamYs hard reset(see FAQ solving wifi issues)
12. Return your archos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:13 pm 
I bought my 604 wifi for more than a week. Out of the box, I can connect to my wireless router and get online to google and other websites. After I update firmware 1.5.56, I can still get online. However two days ago, I cannot lauch opera brower, even I can still connect to the router and see my other computers (and even streaming video from other computers). When I select "web", it starts to show the hourglass, trying to lauch the opera browser, but then directly return to the main menu. Tried many times, the browser cannot start. All my other PC have no problems. I am not sure what can be wrong. I tried to update again and even to 1.5.53, and delete all my media files, check DNS setting on archos, reset the router, etc. All no help.

Then I select "system" -> "Repair & Format tools" -> "Clear temporary system files and caches", still the same!

Sent an email to archos techical support, no reply yet!

I like to find out what I have done, and hope I ( and maybe other people too) can avoid this down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:59 am 
miccocan: I had the same problem you did with not being able to load Opera even though I was connected to my router (by checking the Wifi Status menu). I eventually did the reset option found by SamY (http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=1527), and I am now able to load Opera.

What's strange, is that I was always able to open Opera, but could never load any webpages despite being connected to my router (I was assigned an IP address by router, etc). Then, out of nowhere, Opera wouldn't open. I am pretty sure I have the same Linksys router model that others who were having wifi issues had (something like BFW.... ). I have been able to successfully use the wifi to browse the web using Opera on other networks (friend's houses, etc), but never checked what routers they were using.

Not sure if the two issues are related (Opera not loading/Not being able to load webpages despite being connected), though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i get the same thing on my home network - could not locate remote server...

funny thing is, if laptop connects to the network via wifi and accesses the net, then the wifi works fine on my archos...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you are having a problem connecting, please list your router name, mdel number, and version. Also if you have any PCs you are also trying to see, list the PC operating system.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

did anyone find a solution for this "could not locate remote server" error ?

i have two routers at home .. it connects smoothly to the main speedtouch but pops the above error when connecting to the secondary linksys . i can live with that.

BUT after trying it at many different places and different router models (hotspots, friends', college, ... etc).. the success rate is 1 to 5.

Any input will be appreciated