Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:01 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Read about the news here:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news. ... ours.phtml

Also, that's a day before the iPhone 3G release, coincidence maybe ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yay, time to sell my 605, hopefully it will be the 605 with loads of features added, and a much needed improved interface!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't want a 3G-enabled PMP blah blah blah. I just want a music player with a big hard disk and decent audio quality. Why is that too much to ask? :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

yeh same, there are sooo many problems with the archos. I dont see the point of 3g. Unless they are tring to copy the iphone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The Archos 606 would have to be something ground breaking to convince me to replace my 605. I only paid ~$400 for it not even 12 months ago!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

needo wrote:
The Archos 606 would have to be something ground breaking to convince me to replace my 605. I only paid ~$400 for it not even 12 months ago!

I agree.. same for me here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

yeh i paid £300 quid, so we shall see. lets just hope they don't stop the support for the x05 devices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sharp910sh wrote:
yeh i paid £300 quid, so we shall see. lets just hope they don't stop the support for the x05 devices!

On special offer at Comet now -- £99 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

needo wrote:

Thats my thinking as well. Ive spent a lot of money on my 605 and I aint about to replace it just for the sake of it! Plus it looks like Ill be buying an eeePC fairly soon, so I cant imagine what the Gen6 Archos will offer that my 605 and the eeePC combined wont!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

RonanC wrote:
Thats my thinking as well. Ive spent a lot of money on my 605 and I aint about to replace it just for the sake of it! Plus it looks like Ill be buying an eeePC fairly soon, so I cant imagine what the Gen6 Archos will offer that my 605 and the eeePC combined wont!

I'm also keeping an eye out on the eeePC as long as its about to be released rivals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I love my 605 for what it can do but loath it for what it should be able to do

I think the folks at archos are realizing that they dropped the ball on
internet connectivity and bluetooth

They didnt really drop the ball I guess- this machine is a great value
but they had a chance to break into the mainstream with the 605 and the decided not to put more into its internet
They missed a huge opertunity to make a lot of money and news

They had the closest thing to an Ipod Killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:52 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

once the 606 comes out, the 605 hacks will come out! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:14 pm 
I just want it to do what they advertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is going to be big!

I think they are targetting people who didn't buy an Archos yet, which is the largest part of the population. The question is, how and when will the mass market pocket VOD experience begin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

My guess is that they will announce (or hopefully reveal) TVPortation, which is six weeks late and considering they announced it middle of April for May would make it a miss by (only) 200%. In my line of work I would get fired for such a delay. I truly missed it for the Euro 2008 games.

Guys, get real, Archos is a French company. Do not expect 'earthshattering' news like revealing the 606 by the UK country honcho, stuff like this is reserved for Mr. President...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos has already announced that their partner for HSDPA data service and distribution in France is going to be SFR. For sure, with a HSDPA device, Archos would need partnerships in every country, that's a lot of partnerships if you want to have a lot of countries covered by not only a subsidized product, but also to have it tied with all kinds of services in certain subscription plans such as unlimited or on-demand Music and Movies, IPTV, social networking and localization services, all streaming over HSDPA and hopefully also Wi-Fi (some HSDPA providers might be afraid of a device that does both HSDPA and open Wi-Fi, but we hope not).

Some of ythe British people in this forum might be more informed as to which are the HSDPA providers in England, since this announcement pocket-lint is talking about could be specific for the UK. I am hoping Archos is in talks with Three, since that HSDPA company seems to me to be quite in advance in terms of HSDPA data services and prices, and a subsidy deal with Three in the UK would facilitate subsidy deals also in Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Austria, Australia and Hong Kong. But I'm sure Vodaphone and some of the other UK HSDPA providers also cover other countries or are part of some international alliance with other HSDPA providers in other countries which would facilitate international subsidy and partnership for distribution deals as well.

Archos could perfectly as well sell the Gen6 HSDPA device with an unlocked sim card slot which could thus be used on any HSDPA network where the data service provider allows you to use any device on their network. And considering the price of the Gen5, hopefully the Gen6 won't cost more and thus would not cost anywhere close to the unsubsidized iPhone 3G which is reported on Engadget to be 599 dollars.

Hopefully, Archos will have many countries which will provide the Gen6 subsidized for like 1Ôé¼ or something with just a few months or up to 2 years of a HSDPA data and/or voice (over VOIP and/or a secondary phone with a different sim card on the same account) subscription contract. Let's see how many countries Archos will cover with a 1Ôé¼ including a DVR Station and all the plugins you need pre-installed, unlimited music, movie and IPTV services for something around 20-40Ôé¼ per month plus an optional voice plan using a separate phone. Everyone else would hopefully still be able to get a Gen6 from around or less then 199Ôé¼ but possibly with accessories and plugins not included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

YES. Finally some news about the 606. I'm definitely waiting for this one. I almost pulled the trigger on the 605 160GB yesterday. I'm glad I didn't . It better me worth the wait! I hope the screen is bigger and higher res. And I hope they don't drop the RMVB support.

(Oh, please, no more plug ins, at least no plug ins for internet. And also have better quality and less bugs.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Perhaps it will be a GPS style dock?
Archos would launch a 606 device at their head office not the UK wouldn't they?

Last edited by mitchelln on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Logically, you can have the plugins for free if you pay more, or if you sign up for a subsidized version, thus one that has a monthly fee for a certain amount of months, so one for which you pay more but over longer time.

Otherwise, asking for free plugins is like going to Microsoft and asking them to give you Windows for free when you buy a computer, or to ask the record labels to give you the music for free when you buy a blank CD.

Lowering the retail price of the H264, Mpeg2, AAC, AC3, Opera Browser, Flash would though make sense for Archos especially give more options to customers who for example only need the AC3 audio for their DivX files but don't necessarily want to pay the 10 dollars for Mpeg2 and vob support.

When you see that the iPhone 3G has a retail price of 699 dollars, I think it is quite obvious that the Archos Gen5 pricing strategy of as low as 150 dollars for the 605 WiFi 4GB, is an awesome pricing strategy for consumers. One can expect that Archos will have an even more aggressive pricing strategy for the Gen6, which will involve giving you the product with a subscription contract and some content and HSDPA data service partnerships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm just saying, I hope Archos doesn't charge for the browser this time, like the 4th gen, where the browser was included.

Nevertheless, I will still buy it as soon as it comes out.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next