Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: WiFi Problem Solved!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Do not despair! Shawn, abbva, and all others who cannot detect any networks other than possibly their own after configuring their first connection with either a non-broadcasted SSID or WEP enabled (I'm not sure which is the culprit yet). I have the answer. After lying in bed, tossing and turning and thinking that there MUST be a way to reinitialize the connection configuration data (keep in mind that even a Factory Restore didn't do it), I remembered that the support lady who I spoke to briefly this afternoon started to tell me about another way to reset the system, but I cut her off before she finished, thinking she was talking about the options on the System menu. I recalled that she had said something about holding the tv/lcd button down so I got out of bed and unpacked my 604 wifi from its box on the kitchen counter, where it was waiting to be returned in the morning, and proceeded to hold the tv/lcd button down with the power on, then with the power off. Nothing. Before you read any further, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP EVERYTHING ON YOUR 604. Actually, you can get most of the pre-installed stuff from the Archos web site, but I just wanted to warn you that everything will be gone after this next step. Okay, now turn the 604 off. Now, press AND HOLD the tv/lcd button while booting it back up. After the green Archos screen is displayed for a few seconds you will see a menu titled "Recovery (code 1)", followed by "Would you like to recover your system?" and three options: "No", "Repair Disk", and "Format Disk". Select the "Format Disk" option. "Repair Disk" will not work. After the format is done, you will be prompted to connect the 604 to a PC via USB and copy the update files over (I can't remember the exact wording). Not being sure what the "update files" were, I copied the 1.5.53 firmware file (a604wifi.aos), along with the DevIcon.fil and DevLogo.fil files to the root directory (these last two were probably unnecessary). I then disconnected it from the PC via "Safely Remove Hardware" and received a prompt saying something like "Update found" and asking me to hook it back up to a USB cable or power adapter so it could perform the update. After the update and subsequent reboot, I selected "Enable Wifi" from the menu and got the "No configured networks found" and "View available networks" messages (or something like that) just like the first time I powered it up. I then selected my home network (which now broadcasts its SSID and has WEP turned off) from the list that also included networks belonging to my neighbor and the hotel across the river, and proceeded to connect and surf. Now the REAL test. I powered my wireless router down, turned the 604 off, turned it back on, selected "Enable Wifi", and - VOILA! - again received the "No configured networks found" and "View available networks" message. I then connected to my neighbor's network and surfed again. Life is good. Whoever decides to try this next, please take notes so we can document the procedure a little better. The bottom line, though, is that there is now a way to recover from whatever the problem is with a WEP-enabled or non-broadcasted SSID network until Archos addresses the underlying issue. Also, there is a possibility that selecting the "Format Hard Drive" option from the "Repair & Format tools" menu will do the same thing as the button trick. I'm not in the mood to experiment any further right now as it's 2:40 a.m. here in Pittsburgh, PA and I'm not a young man any more. I am confident, however, that I will sleep well tonight knowing that I won't have to part with my new toy so soon after all. Good night and happy wifi'ing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:03 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Woo hoo! I'm in wifi heaven, baby! I just got back from delivering turkey dinners to shutins for Meals on Wheels, and I was seeing networks in parts of town that I didn't even think had electricity (smile). I just have to make sure that I don't try to configure a connection for any more private networks. If I were 30 years younger, I would try to narrow the problem down by first reconfiguring my home network with a non-broadcast SSID (without WEP) and seeing if the problem re-occurred after entering the SSID on the 604. If not, I would go back to broadcasting the SSID and turn WEP back on to see if that was the problem. etc., etc. For now, though, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this thing and leave that other stuff as an exercise for you young-uns. I was a little hesitant to fall back to nothing more than a MAC address based access-list on my router for security but after seeing how many completely open home networks there are out there (SSID = "NETGEAR", etc.), I don't feel so bad about doing it, at least for the short term. I'm going to call Archos now and tell them of my workaround for this issue, making sure they understand that the real problem is still unresolved. Peace. Out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That does sound interesting, however, I really don't want to leave the wifi open without some protection, due to bandwidth issues, and others. Anyone else using WEP and still able to detect other networks such as from another location when away from your home wifi? I am still able to connect to my hone wifi network (it is non-broadcast SSID and WEP-PSK protected) just fine... everytime. BUT, when I go to the Barnes and Noble bookstore, I can't get the device to find the wifi network in the store, it just says "No wifi Networks Detected". Aggravating, as I know that the store does have wifi.

Now, another issue is with picking up another network that I know is good, non-protected etc... and signal strength about 40-64% based on my MacBook findings. The 604 will not even recognize this either. The question is, perhaps the reception for the device is very poor, as only to pick up networks within a matter of 20- 40 feet AND with strong signals. I am at a lose to this situation, as I have called tech support and they have not heard of this particular scenerio.

I would think that since my home network is PSK-WEP protected and not broadcasting the SSID, then this would be hard for the 604 IF there was a problem concerning functionality, defective equipment, etc... But, since it does pick up on this wifi network and connect fine, then I am left to wonder why would it not pick up these other two networks that are open?

Thanks for the advice!
Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just got off the phone with support and after 30 minutes of leading them through the exact same procedure described here, they have officially notified corporate for a firmware update that will address this issue. So, rest assured that they know about this and do think the connection issues with trying to connect to open networks (after you have established a connection with a closed network) is related to the software trying to automatically connect to the secure network that it formally used. The detection fails, and hence the "No wifi Networks Detected" error comes up.

Another seperate issue is the SSL encryption problems with the Opera browser, as it sporatically connects to secure pages, i.e. Gmail, Hotmail, etc... with errors at times concerning this.

These guys really seem interested in the customers satisfaction and are very helpful with trying to resolve issues. They hopefully will have these addressed very soon, but no date as to the next firmware release.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I reformated my hard drive this morning and then made the connection to my network with SSID broadcasting on and with protection enabled. I then went into town and was able to see various networks ( open and protected) as I went to different places. I had originally set up my network connection with no SSID broadcasting and protection enabled and had the same results as everyone else. So it appears to work with protection enabled as long as it sees a SSID being broadcast for its first connection, and not having to enter one in.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:37 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

That's great info, Roger! So now we know that the problem really is caused by manually entering the SSID and has nothing to do with encryption. Regarding Archos support, I also experienced a high level of cooperation and interest from them. I described the problem in detail and the guy was writing it all down, even stopping me a couple of times so he could catch up. He also said that the firmware engineers monitor some of the user forums, although he wasn't sure which ones. I recommended that they pay special attention to Archos Fans, at least regarding the x04 series.

Roger, did you format your hard drive using the tv/lcd button or did you do it from the System menu? The support rep said that the tv/lcd button was supposed to be reserved for severe problems, i.e. when the firmware is corrupted and you can't even boot it up, so it would be helpful to know if the menu-driven method also clears the config data.

-Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

THB, never had anyu issues connecting my unit to my home network, which is running with non-broadcast SSID and WPA protection......was getting a little worried, having read these posts, but connected first time after I had entered in all the parameters - perhaps there are inconsistencies in peoples problems ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:56 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

kevpuk wrote:
THB, never had anyu issues connecting my unit to my home network, which is running with non-broadcast SSID and WPA protection......was getting a little worried, having read these posts, but connected first time after I had entered in all the parameters - perhaps there are inconsistencies in peoples problems ?

The problem is not about connecting to your home network using a non-broadcast SSID. That has worked fine for everyone. The problem is that, after configuring that network on the Archos (entering the SSID, etc.), you cannot connect to any other networks such as WiFi hotspots, etc. Try taking your Archos to your local Starbucks or other hotspot and enable WiFi. You will not discover any networks. The only solution for now is to reformat your Archos hard drive and turn on SSID broadcasting on your home network before reconfiguring it. Archos is aware of the problem and working on a firmware fix. If you have no need to use the WiFi feature outside of your home, you don't need to do anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh, I see :oops:

Will give it a whirl, when I find some hotspots (not that many around me in the UK).....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Great job with your troubleshooting. I got bit by this bug during my Holiday travels this week. My home network was non-broadcast SSID and WEP and worked fine. I travelled through hot spots at airports and it could not find the networks. I also worked on my aunt's new wireless router and it never saw the network there, a foot away. I was able to configure her 3 laptops and wireless network printer just fine. There is NO way to get into the wireless profile in the 604 which is just maddening. I got back home last night and was relieved to at least see this thing still worked on my home network.

Is the blowing away of the Archos still the only work-around for now? I set my router to broadcast the SSID now and still use WEP. I changed Autentication from Shared Key to Open System, but I'm not really sure what that setting does. I would like to get the workaround working before I travel again next weekend, even if that does mean I need to blow away it all and start over. Oh, that doesn't mess up the Video plugins, though, does it? I certainly won't pay $40 again!

Besides fixing this, there needs to be a way to get into the wifi settings and view/edit them, even if there are really no hotspots around. That should be pretty basic stuff.

Thanks for everything!

Post subject: wifi status
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you go into the main area where it shows an icon for your videos music photo and web. Then if you hit the right side of the menu button you should see an area for wifi status which allows you to change you ip settings and will display what they currently are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The wifi status is there only if you already have a connection. However, I meant when you are in that loop where it cannot find a wifi network when you know you are in one. I want to be able to configure "profiles", etc. Since my wifi already has a "profile" for my home network, even if I cannot see it, I should be able to edit it - much like you can on a laptop. I wanted to Disable my home SSID and use my aunts. I thought maybe forcing it, it should find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Okay, I tried the intial recommendation regarding formatting. I first tried the Format option in the software, but it didn't seem to be as effective as the Recovery method - just my experience. So, I tried the method of the Power On + TV/LCD to get to Recovery (Code 1). It seems I was not connecting the USB properly at the right times so I was stuck in a Recovery (Code 4) loop. I called Archos and they explained to me the order of connecting/disconnecting the USB - connect it, then click OK on "Done" only AFTER getting a drive letter on your PC and putting the firmware back on. However, that still would not clear the Code 4. That is a firmware bug in of itself. So, the way out of that is to turn it off again, perform the original steps to get the Code 1, then start over. LEAVE the USB cable plugged in until it tells you to disconnect it. That is a crucial step. It appears my wifi is fixed again as well since changing my home router to broadcast the SSID. The tech I spoke with was also aware of this bug but no ETA on the firmware fix.

Oh and interesting note. The tech thought I should not have an issue re-installing my Cinema and Podcast plug-ins, but after getting it put back together, my plug-ins already worked without a re-install. I'm not sure where it saves this info because that format wiped everything visible out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

angelm713 wrote:
Oh and interesting note. The tech thought I should not have an issue re-installing my Cinema and Podcast plug-ins, but after getting it put back together, my plug-ins already worked without a re-install. I'm not sure where it saves this info because that format wiped everything visible out.

I'm pretty sure the Cinema and Podcast plugins are already on the player when you buy it. You are just buying an unlock key to enable it in the firmware.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My 604 WIFI detectect an open network and shows connected to default. The WIFI status shows as follows.

WIFI open network
configuration Automatic (DHCP)
IP address (there is one)
Netmask (there is one)
Gateway (there is one)
DNS Server (Same number as Gateway)

When I try to connect to the web. I get the following message.
Could not locate remote server.
http://wwwa...rchosphere...WIFI

This is very frustrating. I have no trouble connecting with a wireless enabled lap top. I sent Archos support an E mail asking for help no response yet. Your help on what to do in laymans terms would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

SamY, you hit the nail on the head. I actually thought about reformatting of the drive, I just didn't think it was going to solve it. Hats off to you. I have returned both units, and I kept the original 604 (no wifi), but know I am tempted again to buy it.

Post subject: Strange occurrance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All:

I had a hidden SSID and had the same issue as everyone else. I performed the "Recover/Format" option and everything was working great. I could see other networks etc. etc. Here is where it gets wierd, my first attempt was to a "hidden SSID" network where I type "default" as the SSID. I could not connect so after that "in the same session" another network with a SSID of "PAN HEAD" (I am providing the name for completeness). I could not connect to that one. After that I shut the device off and when I next attempted to access a wireless network it said "no wireless networks found". Since I was not at a Starbucks or anything like that I paid it no mond.

When I got home however, it could not find my home network. I was forced to do the "Recover/Format" method again (The Recovery/Repair method did not work) to again get my wireless working. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Post subject: Re: Strange occurrance
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:09 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Celestial wrote:
Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Actually, this sounds to me like a slightly different manifestation of the same problem. Once you attempt to configure a network with a hidden SSID by manually entering a value, whether it is the first network you connect to or not, it seems to permanently screw up the network detection logic until a "Recover/Format" is done. It also seems that the only way around the problem, until Archos makes a firmware fix available, is to avoid "hidden" networks like the plague. While it is somewhat difficult to understand how a bug of this severity made it through the Archos QA cycle, the good news is it should not be much of a problem to fix due to the ease with which it can be reproduced. Having spent nearly 30 years in software support, QA, and engineering, I know that 90% of fixing a problem is being able to reproduce it at will. Assuming that the engineers have a good understanding of how to do so (which they should if they read this thread), a fix should not be too long in coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, this is a huge problem for those who use hidden SSID or try and connect to them, as I can attest (see post toward the top) but support is aware of it. If anyone has trouble, please call them as the 'bigger' the voice, the higher this might it on thier list of another firmware update.

I had to reformat and change the SSID to broadcast so I could see other networks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Make sure you have updated to the newest firmware.

Joe