Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will meet with someone from Archos today or tomorrow according to plan, please reply here with questions you would like me to try and obtain more details about in this video review of the 604 Wi-Fi that I am going to do.

I am thinking to ask about Javascript, Flash, voip, vod and iptv. See if they can show any beta firmware with some of these features. Webradio also.

Please post here all questions that you have about the 604 Wi-Fi and possibly also some other of the fourth generation features if you want.

Last edited by Charbax on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It seems rather inadequate that the WiFi connectivity is limited to just a button that reads "enable".

Ask about plans for updating better configuration variables on the WiFi networks. Such as a separate configuration screen like what is avaiable for the sound, screen res and setup.
I realize the configuration screen if available AFTER you are connected, but I can't connect...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
I am thinking to ask about Javascript, Flash, voip, vod and iptv. See if they can show any beta firmware with some of these features. Webradio also.

That's some of the big ones for me, would be good to also know about:

USB keyboard support
Bluetooth support (via USB dongle or otherwise)
AD Hoc networking (to connect 2 604's without an AP)
NTFS support for external drives on USB2.0 host (but I really can't see it ever happening due to Linux issues with NTFS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

This is great news charbax, im realy looking forward to seeing this video.

In the archos "road map" video on thier site they show gps as something possible with the '04 series, it would be great if you could ask them if they are planning a gps adapter or anything else they might be able to mention in regards to gps. if so it would be important that it would have an fm transmitter built into the adapter too to use over your car stereo for music and directions like some other gps units have.

I am also curious to know if they have any other plug ins planned for the future.

Also would like to know if listening to music while browsing the internet could become possible with a firmware upgrade.

thanks alot, i am also very interested to learn on the other points mentioned by the other users above.

Post subject: cool accessories
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I know this is a bit of a pipe dream but support for MAME and the archos could plug into a device that would give you a joypad. :lol: Really want flash and java. Also realtime streaming instead of downloading the video.

shoutcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would like to know if they plan on charging us additional money for flash/java, or are they just going to update the crippled browser we have now for free :)

Also wondering if they will add an external remote for navigating / volume

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:54 am 
Archos User
Archos User

PLEASE PLEASE ask about true 16:9 support as it always cuts off part of the video when recording and does not play back 16:9 material correctly on the tv. And even more importantly if they are going to increase the overall volume of playback.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Two more things I forgot about:

Why can't I access my Mac from the 604 Wifi even w/ SMB/CIFS configured correctly and also when am I going to be able to stream content to my 604wifi anywhere in the world? That's actually why I bought this version.

Thanks again,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Please ask whether future firmware updates will support streaming live WMV feeds over the internet/wifi. I wonder if a RealAudio/Video plugin is a future possibility, and would that allow streaming RealMedia in the same way?

I think I heard mentioned that a future firmware upgrade will provide Podcast feed management on the device, so you can download Podcasts directly to the device - is this correct?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax

This is good news. I second: voip, Bluetooth connectivity, increase in audio output volume, ability to listen to music no matter where you are browsing.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the 604WiFi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Here is another 2 questions,
If it is based on linux are they going to share the source with community developers like the linksys NSLU2- Storage device. would give them a much bigger pool for developers and cool stuff for us.,

Also, could they have one of their product managers join this forum, or set-up their own forum so we can get a little close to what is going on.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

AUDIO PLAYBACK VOLUME !!
Alos if they have any plans to use a stronger processor on future versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax

- please ask for a sorting order functionaliy by date, size etc...
It is important to have any structure in a multitude of files ?

thanks

tb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

will you ask about pda utility? even a little would be cool.
oh, and ALL CAPS FOR FLAC! i would love to have my flac without downsampling to mp3!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The one reason I will buy an Archos 604 wifi is if/when it can support video streaming over the net, whether that be through slingbox, orb or something else. So, the more information you can get on that subject the better! Thanks. Also, I'd actually be interested to know if there is any more information on the whole GPS thing that was mentioned in their roadmap sometime ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The appointment is fixed at 11AM Paris time tomorrow morning. So if you can think of more questions, please continue posting some more.

The Archos representative can read through them and maybe provide some answers off camera, and answer possibly some of them on the video interview, since Archos are probably very active those days with christmas deliveries, firmwares and that they are probably totally in phase of responding to consumer feedback about the fourth generation, to make sure everyone will be at the maximum satisfied in time for Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I still don't think it is fair for consumers to get charged for plug-ins at $20 each. I bought it anyhow:-(. They should have been built-in stuff. The other brands, like Creative Zen Vision W, Cowon, Zune, all support basic mpeg1, mpeg2, ac3 formats, and they are cheaper (below $300) and come with more accessaries as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think a functional concept would be the ability to print from the browser or better yet to save as pdf format. I read mail and would like a way to save it in a readable format either through a pdf or another functioning protocol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

thanks for the update

Last edited by Mojorisin69 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: TRUE 16x9 SUPPORT!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is completely rediculous that you can't record in 16x9 without cutting off part of the video. Please demand an explanation and help get this fixed! Does nobody in France own a 16:9 television?
Thanks you for your hard work Charbax