Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 404 won't turn on, help?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried searching through the forums to find an answer but I couldn't find anything to help me. Basically my 404 won't turn on anymore.

I was listening to a song, and I turned the Archos off mid-song, without exiting or anything. I turned it back on within seconds and it started fine at first, then I hit the 'resume' button and the screen froze right before the song was about to play. At first I thought maybe because I turned the archos off in the middle of the song, it might be screwing up. But it remained frozen for an hour and half. None of the buttons were doing anything. I tried turning it off but the power button wasn't doing anything either. Then I plugged it into my USB port on the computer, and still, nothing happen. The 'new device found' bubble didn't even pop up on my computer. I figured I would just have to wait for the battery to die?

So about an hour and a half later (I assume the batter died? It was kind of low already) the screen finally went black, but it's still not doing anything. The power button isn't working - I've tried holding it down for minutes at a time, and nothing. The USB port isn't doing anything...I don't know what to do? Can anyone help?

Post subject: My 404 stopped also
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mine also stopped working today. Same symptoms as epi_lp: black screen when I try to turn it on from my ac adaptor, as well as when I plug it into my computer's usb.

There was no jarring or anything, as I keep it plugged in to my stereo via the AC adaptor. Everything was working fine yesterday, although when I shut it off, there were a few blue lines that appeared before it shut off. Today: nothing. I just does not turn on.

Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

GJL128, is your power light still on but your archos isn't responding or turning on? or is your archos player not even on and won't turn on from there?

1. If the archos power light is on but none of your buttons will turn the mp3 player on (screen turns on), then holding the power button for about 15 seconds should "force shut down" the archos device.
2. If the archos power isn't even on (EVEN if its connected through USB to the computer or through the AC adapter), then there might be a connection problem with the USB port on your archos (not likely but a possibility).
3. is the TV/LCD button light lit up? then that means your screen wont turn on but the archos is still on. Just hit the button again until the red light goes off
4. For any other circumstance, try this (not sure if it will respond): With the archos device off, hold the power button AND the LCD/TV button on the side simultaneously. The archos should bootup to a recovery menu. There should be three options: the second one being "repair disc". IF you are able to see this screen, select it. Note: Don't worry, this will not delete ANYTHING on your device. It will just repair the errors.

If this didn't help, reply back with other "symptoms" or what happened previous to this problem and ill see if i can help

And for the blue lines that appear before it shut off, i think there might be a connection problem with the lcd screen in the archos OR it just might be a glitch (unless it happens ALL the time). This shouldn't be a major problem. LCD screens act "funky" once in a while.
I had my lcd screen slowly fade completely white while video playback and completely freeze but i just rebooted it and it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for replying yoshiness.

The Archos does not turn on and there are no lights on the power or the tv/lcd buttons, even when it is plugged into the usb of my computer or on the ac of the Archos Docking Adaptor that I have to power the Archos. It also does not show up as a device under My Computer and there are no computer beebs when plugged into my computer's usb. And nothing happens when I push the power button for 15 sec, or when I push both the power and tv/lcd buttons.

It also does not turn on when I insert a paper clip on the ÔÇ£RESETÔÇØ hole (on the top of the device, near the ARCHOS logo).

Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My archos is doing the exact same thing as GJL128's. Nothing happens when I press the power button, nothing happens when I press both the power + TV/LCD buttons simultaneously, nothing happens when I plug into my computer. I don't know what to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hm
to use the reset hole on top, the archos needs to be on

lets see... i doubt its the usb connector if this happened suddenly
what system are you using? Mac, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux?

ill just list some things that "might" be the problem (some are improbable but... ill just list it lol)
1. very few archos devices had batteries that last only a couple hours or batteries that just died; you might need to buy a replacement battery (however, archos does not sell internal parts and you need to buy it from another dealer, which shouldnt cost much)*
---
2. a driver in your computer might be turned off, not working, up to date, or has an error. Try this program called Driver Detective (http://downloads.drivershq.com/DriverDe ... ective.exe). It detects all the different drivers on your computer and tells you the status of each driver. This is a freeware and doesn't cost money (it is not a virus too. you can scan it for yourself)
~~the program: once you install it, in the main page should be a button that says "Scan Now". After it displays all the installed drivers, look under "driver details" where it lists all the drivers. Make sure the following things have a check mark in front of the driver
(this covers drivers regarding the archos device)
a. USB Mass Storage Device - a404
b. a404
c. Archos PC Hard Drive USB Device
Repost up ALL other drivers that has a red X next to the name also just incase :)
---
3. Since the usb isnt connecting to the computer AND your dock, then the arcos might have a disconnected wire or a damaged USB port; or it could be the other way around: your cables might be damaged or your dock (unlikely :X)

*if you are planning on doing some internal surgery on your archos, then you should read the topic on how to open the archos without voiding the warranty. "Do not open it up. There are no user-serviceable parts. inside. Opening will void your warranty." --> yes it does say that but they just don't want unexperienced people trying to fix it themselves... there are things you can do inside, but not for newbies.

*www.newmp3technology.com for replacement parts not found in archos website

Reply back with (summary): Computer Operating system; driver list (suggestion #2 above)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll try option two tonight after Christmas dinner and post results tomorrow sometime.

I doubt it's something wrong with the computer though because the Archos itself just suddenly stopped working properly. It froze, finally died, now does nothing. I bought it used from a friend so I don't have any receipts/warranty documents. I'm hoping this can be fixed somehow.

Thanks again for the help so far! Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:07 am 

thats incorrect, the reset WILL work when the power is OFF, it disconnects an internal cell from the internal memory. The 604 can only have the reset done with the battery removed!.
This sounds like another case of frozen machine, eventually died and wont start. If you haev pressed the reset you will now need to completly recharge the player. The player may not start straight away but just leave it charging, it will eventually boot up once there is enough life to run. When the player is completly exhausted it will loop between on and off for a while until there is enough juice, dont worry even when the player is off it will still charge (although slowly)
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was just about to install that Driver Detector program but decided to test the Archos one more time, and this time when I plugged it into my computer, the power came on and it began to charge? Not sure what happened?

My brother said he pressed the reset button a couple hundred times, and now it's working. I guess he fixed it, haha.

So...here's hoping the Archos charges and holds a charge *crosses fingers*. Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I hope you get your Archos problem solved, GJL128.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Incidently, my Archos did turn on ONCE after the problem started happening. It gave me a "corrupted FAT" message, then went on and worked OK until I turned it off, and has not worked since.

Anyway, I posted my problem with Archos Tech Support, and they didn't offer any suggestions for me to try etc, they simply asked me to send it in to them for repair. I suspect its a mechanical thing.

Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yeah, mine started doing that too. where it would turn on, but then the screen would go black and the buttons wouldnt work and i wouldnt even be able to force shut it down, the player would be on for about half an hour before i was able to shut it down.

my conclusion? the archos sucks. ive had a lot of other problems with it too.

im thinking about getting a cowon d2 now with a 16 gig sdhc card.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I gotta say guys, I am having the same problem on a Brand New 705 WiFi 160GB and guess what, I bought it from Newmp3technology.com and they say I have to send it to Archos at my own expense for a repair and i have only had it 1 day! They are crap, atleast Archos give you a telephone number to contact them, newmp3technology.com won't even reply to my emails!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

my Archos 7 160 gb wont turn on i held the power for 20 sec it still did not work an sugjestiens ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mine did the same thing. Without warning it just went blank. Would not turn on. No damage or anything. There is a reset button on the bottom left back of the device. I used a small needle and pushed this button. The device came back on. No lose of data occurred. This thing has been nothing but trouble from the first day I got it. Buyer beware. This is a very very bad product.