Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
I read many reviews about this unit how ever I must addmit that I am very dissapointed with the browsing capabilities. I can hardly log in to any uswefull site... not even to gmail not talking about secured sites etc'.

Any body knows if there is any plan to updrgade this part of the software? Otherwise, I really dont see the big advantage of the WIFI capabilities ( and yes, I know all about the streaming from another computer).

Would appreciate your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:09 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi There,

I've found that certain sites like desktop mode better. I haven't had a problem getting into my Gmail (or for that matter my ISP's mail). As far as the browser goes, the Archos 604 wifi is what it is - a great (even one of the best) video/audio players with a touch screen and browsing capabilities. Hopefully, the capabilities will improve with each firmware upgrade, but overall, I couldn't be happier.

I love pulling out the 604 wifi in a room full of Ipoders and watch them try and pretend their machines are better but they are really green with envy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

golmert wrote:
Hi,
I read many reviews about this unit how ever I must addmit that I am very dissapointed with the browsing capabilities. I can hardly log in to any uswefull site... not even to gmail not talking about secured sites etc'.

Any body knows if there is any plan to updrgade this part of the software? Otherwise, I really dont see the big advantage of the WIFI capabilities ( and yes, I know all about the streaming from another computer).

Would appreciate your comments.

You haven't used many portable devices I take it. Out of all the small portable units with WIFI I have used, this one is by far the most useful in the browsing department. If you are expecting this thing to be a mini notebook, then you have purchased the wrong device. It will never nor was it ever expected to be a mini notebook. It may become more feature rich in the future if users are ever allowed to modify the OS. This was one of the reasons I purchased this unit, but researched it enough in the presales time that I knew I would be satisfied with the unit even if it was never ported.
If this is your first time using an ultraportable device, your experience may get better with time, but I have a feeling you are asking more from this device than it was designed to give you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have used many portable devices by today and know the limitations.

Inspite of that , I feel that the browser capabilities are by far less then others. Just as an example, I have a cellular phone- Nokia E61 that its brower is much more practical...

The Opera ( 8.5 ver) on this device cannot handle frames nor can it handle secured connections, Java and the list is long.

I am aware of the primary use of the device, how ever I feel that the WIFI is not the "strongest" part and i would not be so proud of this functionalty part.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Go set the clock of your unit correctly. Not just the hour and minute, but also day, month, year. Afterwards, secure connections work just fine!

Charbax, can you link this one into the FAQ section please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Linked in FAQ section.

Yup just set your clock correctly and SSL connections will work. As well as the function of "cleaning up temporary internet files" after a firmware upgrade or at any point that seems to bug with some things in the browser, can also possibly help for a smoother browsing experience.

Some people also report that the new firmware improves browsing speeds thanks to its better support of variable Wi-Fi bandwidth speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you! It is better now.

By the way, I have also noticed improvement with the speed after the upgrade.