Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 6:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hey all,

I'm a motorcyclist who has been researching affordable helmet cam solutions for the past few months (it's winter, I need to occupy myself with something since I can't ride) as I want to record my track days this summer. I stumbled acrossed this little gem of a dvr (the 405) and it's nifty little helmet cam, so I decided to take the plunge, even after reading a few negative things about it, even on your guys' enthusiast forum! :D

I got it in the mail last week, it warmed up this weekend, so I decided to run to home depot for some electrical pvc clamps and some industrial velcro so I can mount the cam to the side of my bike, and took it for a spin. Low and behold, it performed wonderfully (it's not exactly a high res contraption, but it certainly is the best resolution for the investment!), and it gave me a good enough of a picture without the jittery BS that the Oregon Scientific ATC2k gave me when I borrowed it from my buddy.

I'll throw up a file here as soon as I can find a file host so you guys can see it. Here's a pic of what I fabbed up as far as a cheap, quick bike mount. In my video, at the end, I took a quick look at where I mounted the industrial velcro for the video (right above my frame slider), and I've also put velcro on my rear seat so I can check out my form at the track 8)

yeah, I know, I'm a tool :D

and here's my sample vid of my the cam on the fairing of my bike:

http://rapidshare.com/files/101633793/h ... 1.wmv.html
Anyways, keep up this forum! I did ALOT of research for this baby, and I just know there are other track amateurs out there that need something as affordable and awesome as a solid state recording device like the archos 405. It even fits in my excuse of a trunk on my 600rr! I can't even fit my gloves back there!

I'll be updating you guys as far as track vids, etc. This summer I should have some sick footage. I'll also update this forum as to whether it holds up to my abuse. I bought the archos case, but to my dismay it sucks, as it won't accomodate the 'travel dvr dock' that the 405 needs in order to hook up to the cam. I might fab up a custom connector at work to thward this ridiculous contraption... if I am not lazy, that is.

-Adam[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

btw, if you guys don't want to download the file, uncompressed, here's the youtube video I put up for my friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFp1WVNEcWE

cheers! I hope you guys find this helpful!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oh, and btw, I've got a 16gig sd card on order. I'll let you guys know how it works in the 405!

sorry for the multiple posts!

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Downloading your video at the moment. It is snowing here again so still too cold and slippery for me to go out on the bike yet. I have tried using velcro aswell but found that changes in temperature can make the adhesive on the back come away. The hooks and loops are easily strong enough. Maybe I just need different velcro. Did you record this with the bitrate at 2500kb/s and 48kHz ? I'm still experimenting with the settings. Keep posting the videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yup, I used the 2500kb/s (high setting) and 32khz setting (the default one). It turned out pretty good, IMO.

I used windows movie maker to edit the video. It's kind of a pain, as it kept locking up. Make sure to save your project files frequently when using that player... it just likes to hang all of the time. It works pretty good, otherwise.

I'll be sure to post track videos from this summer. I'm sure I'll need a better mounting system for the track. You're right: the adhesive on the velcro tends to not play nice. The industrial strength velcro stuff works the best, though. The 'strength' of the velcro I think refers to the adhesive backing, too. Not too sure. But it does stay at 90+mph.

I'm guessing the track will want a pysical mount, or at the very least zipties. I can ziptie the cam to my frame slider, possibly. Or maybe fashion a custom aluminum mount for th passenger pegs? Who knows.

Let me know if you find a great way to mount it to your bike. You'll see in the video where I mounted it and how I did it :)

I also just popped in a Transcend 16gig sdhc card. It works flawlessly in the archos. I unpackaged it, popped it in, and was able to record to it after changing the setting of the recorder to record to the sd card, not internal memory.