Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

During video playback, my 405 will randomly freeze and either keep displaying whatever image from the video it was showing when it locked, or go to a black screen. It seems completely random as I can shut it off (with the power button not the reset) and restart it and it usually will play through the file it just crashed on fine. It seems to happen usually after I play 2 or more files, but it may happen on the first file or not at all until I've played many videos. I put 25 of the short Fenslerfilm.com parody videos on the built in storage and I have yet to get it to go all the way through them without crashing. I have the newest firmware released on Dec 17 (1.7.10) and the MP4 codec bought from the archos site. I'm wondering if this is a bitrate/encoding issue or maybe I just got a defective unit (it does have a stuck pixel, but it's near the edge of the screen so it's not a bother). I'd appreciate any help from anyone who has had the same/similar problems.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:14 pm 

I don't have the 405 I have a 605 but I can tell you a couple of things I have seen in the forums. A show recorded a high bitrate has had some people reporting playback issues. Also try to clear the cache on the player. Some people have reported that that has helped to resolve some video issues. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks so much for the tip, I tried erasing the cache and it seemed to stop the crashing. The video player made it through all 25 of the Gi Joe parody clips I was testing and another run of 12 before I stopped. I had also contacted Archos through their web site for help and they were pretty much useless, the tech guy that emailed me back told me to run scandisk which pretty much told me what I already knew (the internal storage wasn't bad).

Thanks again!

Post subject: Crashed Again
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well it seems like the fix was only temporary, while playing a music video today it froze up again. If anyone has any other advice for me I'd really appreciate it.