Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 605 firmware bugs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are experiencing reproducable bugs, then reply here with a brief description of how to reproduce it.

For each bug description, state the 605 WiFi version (4GB/30GB/80GB/160GB) and the firmware version that you have installed (make sure of it by checking the firmware version in the settings).

Last edited by Charbax on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A605 160
Firmware 1.7.06

Bug: Can't view PDF files while clock is in 12hr format (attempts to open but just returns to main screen)

Bug: Can't toggle subtitles on/off in movies via the touch screen until the hard buttons are first used

Good thread! Let's hope people use this to get bugs fixed and not to Archos bash/whine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:39 am 
After installing firmware OS update v 1.7.06 on my Archos 605 WiFi 160GB, the infrared emitter does not appear to be sending the Power signal to my satellite box prior to trying to change the channel to the program I have scheduled it to record. This worked fine before applying the patch, but now it doesn't send the Power signal properly, even though the setup option to have it send the Power signal is set properly. When I do a test of the the Power signal in the setup screens it sends it properly and wakes up my DISH satellite receiver, but when it kicks in to start a scheduled recording it doesn't send the initial Power signal which keeps my DISH satellite box from switching out of standby mode before accepting the channel change being sent to it by the Archos 605.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

They still desperately need the Flash update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A605 160

Bug: Static is present when using headphones with wifi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos 605 Wifi 30 Gbytes.

The problem happens with videos encoded with two audio tracks and one of them has a bitrate of almost 192 Kbps. In these files, when selecting the the high bitrate audio track makes the image move in slow-motion, but the audio is played fine... Very weird. If the other audio track is selected (encoded with less bitrate, for example 128Kbps), the video is played as it should.

Post subject: New streaming problems
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Device: 605/4Gb
Firmware: 1.7.06

With earlier firmware releases I could nicely stream both divx and mpeg video (using the plugin) from my UPnP server. With the new release, streaming stutters to the point of being unwatchable, and the menus are totally unresponsive as if some new process is eating CPU cycles. Very disappointing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A605 160

Bug: attempting to disable wifi once it is enabled causes the unit to lockup requiring a hard shutdown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
ranceramos
Bug: attempting to disable wifi once it is enabled causes the unit to lockup requiring a hard shutdown

That's exactly what happens to my Archos 605 30gb.
Not always, but it's still a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ranceramos wrote:
A605 160
Firmware 1.7.06

Bug: Can't view PDF files while clock is in 12hr format (attempts to open but just returns to main screen)

Having same problem here. Thanks for the clock work-around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:11 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

sheinb wrote:
Device: 605/4Gb
Firmware: 1.7.06

With earlier firmware releases I could nicely stream both divx and mpeg video (using the plugin) from my UPnP server. With the new release, streaming stutters to the point of being unwatchable, and the menus are totally unresponsive as if some new process is eating CPU cycles. Very disappointing...

I can verify this bug, and consider it to be a very severe one. Media that streamed fine on my home network before this firmware upgrade now is unwatchable. For instance, the Buddha Bar Nature Trailer .AVI file that came with my 604-Wifi, encoded at 1915 kbps, begins to stutter after 10 or 15 seconds on my 605 whereas it still streams smoothly on my 604. This problem needs to be fixed ASAP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

humm... very strange bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Flashman wrote:
ranceramos wrote:
A605 160
Firmware 1.7.06

Having same problem here. Thanks for the clock work-around.

You are all welcome for the PDF clock workaround. I discovered it by identifying all the changes made by a user reset (which someone had discovered 'fixed' the problem) and trying them one at a time. At least there is an easy workaround for this one --- just join the military! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

A605 4Gb
Firmware 1.7.06

How about this one? The arrow buttons no longer work for moving around on a web page in Opera. Luckily the touch screen scrolling still works, but I was in the habit of using the buttons for moving small distances.

Edit: NEVER MIND. They started working again. Don't ask me how or why. I have no idea...

Last edited by SamY on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah I do like the buttons just because they are more precise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

A605 30Gb
Firmware 1.7.06

When using the DVR dock remote to enter text into widgets both the alt keys do not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:56 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So like what happens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:11 am 
Archos User
Archos User

nothing happens, they do not work.

The alt key(s) on the onscreen keyboard still work just not the ones on the remote. I have tried this with several widgets. The alt keys on the remote work fine when used in the browser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've noticed that a couple of the bugs (except for the static in headphone using wifi) are intermittent and not easily reproducible. Perhaps we should have some more standardized approach to reporting these bugs (ie. at least 3 different attempts to illicit the bug over a 1-2 week period) to insure that they're real bugs rather than just system glitches. A bug should be something that is easily reproducible through multiple attempts whereas a glitch may just be the specific execution of a number of steps/processes, only one of which may be an actual bug but causing failures in further steps.

My bugs on switching subtitles via touchscreen and disabling wifi causing a freeze don't seem to be reproducible on every attempt. On a side note, has anyone been able to use TVersity media server after the update? I wasn't able to do even see my UPnP tversity media server listed in the video app even when wifi was enabled (although it did identify a vista laptop on the network with file shares for some reason). I'm hoping this was due to the Parental control access and will try again today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:42 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ranceramos wrote:
On a side note, has anyone been able to use TVersity media server after the update? I wasn't able to do even see my UPnP tversity media server listed in the video app even when wifi was enabled (although it did identify a vista laptop on the network with file shares for some reason). I'm hoping this was due to the Parental control access and will try again today.

TVersity still works fine for me with the latest Archos firmware. However, the decrease in the 605's maximum usable streaming bandwidth that seems to have been introduced with this update has reduced TVersity's functionality a bit.