Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next

Which feature should be added first?
USB Keyboard and Mouse 4%  4%  [ 25 ]
USB Bluetooth (keyboard, headphones/headset, GPRS/HSDPA) 5%  5%  [ 32 ]
Ogg Vorbis, Flac and Mkv 16%  16%  [ 101 ]
Tivo DVR USB transfer 1%  1%  [ 9 ]
Faster scrolling in the Browser 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
Last.fm and Pandora integration (scrobbling and offline mode) 3%  3%  [ 18 ]
VOIP using Skype and SIP 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
HSDPA Dock 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Bluetooth Dock (keyboard, headphones/headset, GPRS/HSDPA) 3%  3%  [ 20 ]
Google Gears offline database support for browser, ACP and Widgets 1%  1%  [ 6 ]
DivX Connected including Stage6 in ACP and DivX Ultra 3%  3%  [ 17 ]
One-click log-on to FON hotspots 0%  0%  [ 3 ]
USB Webcam for Skype and SIP video-conferencing 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
Uploading to FTP, Youtube, Flickr, Dailymotion and more 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Metadata from Musicbrainz/IMDB/Wikipedia using digital/analog fingerprint 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
VNC remote desktop viewer 2%  2%  [ 15 ]
Display lyrics 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
Playing music while browsing 16%  16%  [ 96 ]
WMV7 and WMV8 4%  4%  [ 25 ]
Ad-Hoc WiFi 3%  3%  [ 20 ]
Sort Files by Date Added 2%  2%  [ 11 ]
Playback of embedded .avi/.wmv/.mov/.rm videos including mms/rtsp 7%  7%  [ 42 ]
USB DVB tuner support (cable and terrestrial) 2%  2%  [ 13 ]
USB DVB tuner support (cable and terrestrial) 2%  2%  [ 13 ]
Automatically connect to prefered WiFi in the background 3%  3%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 613
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

playing subs in vobs would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
The firmware is international, so EU laws kind of constrain also the version installed in the US. It's not like Apple which never updates the firmware, or who can limit by IP adress when updating through iTunes or who probably doesn't care about EU regulations since it can afford loosing class action lawsuits. That is if an iPod outputs higher volume, I haven't checked.

I have a gen 5 video ipod and I did remember at least 1 ipod related update (if i remember i think it added a brightness adjuster and the ability to remove songs in new unsaved playlists...if you can even believe 5 generations of players didnt yet have these very limited but essential features. but the interface was so idiotically simple that they couldnt really add anything to it. but im not using the ipod as a frame if reference because its a much simpler device that is just barely in the same class. if the volume is because of eu regulations then i assume all eu devices suffer the same so archos cant be blamed. but the static through headphones while using wifi stinks of an untested listed feature. that really needs to be fixed before bluetooth or widgets or hd plugins. but i have faith...come through Archos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, I just wonder if its a hardware fix or a software fix... sounds a bit like a shielding fix which is gonna be tough to fix through firmware update. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time us software types were expected fix a hardware problem :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

alyanm wrote:
Yeah, I just wonder if its a hardware fix or a software fix... sounds a bit like a shielding fix which is gonna be tough to fix through firmware update. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time us software types were expected fix a hardware problem :roll:

haha alan, you got that right. but what makes me wonder is the fact that if you plug in headphones and place in the dock, you can hear static on the tv speakers, but using the dock alone there's no static. if the antenna was grounded on the headphone jack then how can this be transferred through the dock? if the electromagnetic wifi waves distort the headphone sound why not the dock ports too?? why is this only affecting the 160? static is there if you use the web so its not necessarily based on heavy hdd access or aggressive caching. i seriously think there's hope for a software fix to fix this problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:23 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

id like to toss in my wants...

Choice to leave screen on all the time (for when its plugged in to a dc source)

Way to add songs to a playlist when they are playing.

Post subject: the only things I need
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

1. A search feature for music/videos. It would be so much quicker than scrolling through the 300+ artists or 9,000+ songs in my library and sometimes I don't remember anything about a song except for the last word in the title, and then it is impossible to find!
2. If the music player would ignore "the" in the name of an artist (such that The Beatles would be with "B" alphabetically, not "T")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

albokay; I second you on both of those!

Peter: I didn't realize it was so specific, I rarely hear the infamous static myself... of course I don't use my wifi very often either. Given that it seems to happen only in a certain configuration I'm guessing you're right, a good solid hack job should do the trick ;) Its either that, or take the thing apart and just start wrapping suspicious parts in aluminum foil :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

golorengo wrote:
1. A search feature for music/videos. It would be so much quicker than scrolling through the 300+ artists or 9,000+ songs in my library and sometimes I don't remember anything about a song except for the last word in the title, and then it is impossible to find!
2. If the music player would ignore "the" in the name of an artist (such that The Beatles would be with "B" alphabetically, not "T")

I could be wrong, but I believe there is a search already in there... not sure where it is because I don't use it often.

2. YES, please, that would be absolutely wonderful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am 
One option that will solve all other options:

Open up the firm-ware so it can run 3rd party apps. Then Archos could focus on the most important issues while the legions of programmers out there can add every little widget and doo-dad they want. This simple step would probably easily increase sales exponentially if they didn't require license fees or very low ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:47 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I thought of another. How bout on the mp3 play screen we have the option of choosing the repeat and shuffle options along with the PlayMode options. I hate going back to that when i decided I want to change it.

Also how bout some bigger menu buttons or at least the option to make em bigger. I need some buttons that can be easily pressed with fingers that aren't from a prematurely born child. I dont want to carry around that stylus and i dont have fingernails!

Post subject: firmware wish list
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:01 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ogg Vorbis, Flac and Mkv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

For anyone who uses the browser much this has got to be the number one place we need help.

1. Bug Fixes: My 605 has never crashed in anything but the browser. However, I am lucky to make it for 40-50 minutes of solid browsing w/o a crash or lock-up. Especially if I have 2-3 tabs open.
2. Flash 8 and 9 Support: More and more of the Flash on the web is requiring 8 and 9 support. Soon half the Flash on the web will be out of reach to us. We mush have updated Flash support or this feature will be nearly worthless.
3. Virtual Keyboard: Sometimes it opens, sometimes not. Sometimes I can see the input box, sometimes the keyboard covers it. Sometimes it opens for no reason while I am scrolling on a page. Consistency of the keyboard would be nice. Heck, I would be satisfied if a little icon appeared when I clicked on a text box and I had to click on the icon instead of the keyboard automatically coming up. It is a real hassle.
4. Speed (lag) issues: Frequently with the keyboard too but page scrolls, updates, lag when typing in letters or switching tabs. I can't tell whether it took my input or not because of the lag. They need to speed up browsing.
5. Resume on Browser: Why is it that when I sit the unit down and it suspends that when I turn it back on I have to start all over on the browser?
A few other things:

- Ability to resume videos from the video menu not just the home page.
- Auto bookmarking on exit. Frequently I am half-way through two shows or a show and a song.
- Drag and drop in the file browser. The copy/move function is confusing at first and I wasn't sure where I was moving what.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Password-protection of folders 5% [ 16 votes ] was removed from the list.

As of Firmware update 1.7.06 (November 28th), widgets, games and password protection of folders (so called Parental Control on files or folders) has been added.

The 16 people who voted for that option can now vote for something else being their next choice for the firmware feature that should be added first in the next updates.

Last edited by Charbax on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I dont know if i should be saying this but this is a 'wishlist' so...

1. Skype, oh yes
2. Radio (in built)
3. Automatic wifi detector (manual enable)
4. neon skin and graphic
5. a scroll like the iphone (:D, smooth and better animated)
6. some 3d racing games. (but u need to have buttons on both sides for that, perhaps we can have an onscreen button)
7. USB keyboard
---------------------------------
would like to suggest for the next gen.
7. no buttons and metallic front finish (but they are useful too)
8. symmetric looks
9. inbuilt camera that records 16:9 format (not too keen on this)
10. some disco lights that entertain your place (not too keen on this)

I purchased mine 3 months ago, but no one came to my country :(( so its still in USA, i'll get it on christmas, so i'll add more features later.

cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Robertpoetry, you can fix at least your item 5 by going to the main screen power settings and under the setting Web Browser switch the value to "prevents power off". The screen will still blank after the delay period, but it won't disconnect wifi or close Opera.

I very much agree about the keyboard thing. There's no reason it should be so difficult to use for things as simple as posting on this forum because the keyboard is covering the cursor after a few lines and you can't see what you're typing (the only way to fix this is to mess with zoom and the position of the edit box on screen via scrolling the web page until you can finally get the keyboard to sit below the edit box completely).

I also agree about a search feature. Alan said this exists, but I think I've checked everywhere and can't find one. Can be VERY tedious to find a song in a title list of 24,000 songs.....especially if you only remember one part of the name of a title or filename.

Also, fix the file browser so that you can see everything in a directory even if it exceeds the 1000 file per directory limit. I was able to successfully copy over directories with more than 1000 files, yet only the first 1000 are visible in the file browser app (and for some reason, the alphabetical sorting in this case leaves out the subdirectories in a folder if there are more than 1000 files). Yet I am able to find and play music files from these directories via the music player app if I navigate to the Hard Drive option. This is a bug in my mind because there is then no way to copy out data from the Archos itself to say a USB drive or a windows LAN fileshare if there are more than 1000 files because they don't even show!

Last edited by ranceramos on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

please add the option to the wish list ,requesting a fix for the low volume output issue let us vote please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I personally would like to see VNC support. Holy cow, that would totally make my day; any sort of advanced networking with this thing (including FTP transfer) would be totally rocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
Password-protection of folders 5% [ 16 votes ] was removed from the list.

As of Firmware update 1.7.06 (November 28th), widgets, games and password protection of folders (so called Parental Control on files or folders) has been added.

The 16 people who voted for that option can now vote for something else being their next choice for the firmware feature that should be added first in the next updates.

Charbax,

Is it possible for you to include in the first post a list of the features that were previously in the request list that have now been implemented (preferably with the number of votes they got), and perhaps the date they were implemented? This would be very interesting information showing how responsive Archos is to the desires of customers and what kind of requested features they have added.

Just an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How about the ability to play dvr-ms files? You know, the recordings that windows media center makes when it records a tv show. I'd love to be able to take all of my recorded tv shows on the archos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

really hope that the next firmware update will make the 605 capable to playing rmvb and mov files instead of needing to buy the plug in....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next