Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 3:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Firmware Update policy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sometimes I'm using my Archos 70 Internet tablet. Recently I found that most apps provided on e.g. Google play are not compatible with Android 2.2. in many cases, the minimum requirement is 2.3.3.

This would mean that my Archos is doomed to freeze in the current "as is" constellation. But the pad still works to my satisfaction and is in good condition. I won't replace it by newer hardware. Why is firmware no longer maintained?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 pm 

My a70 is also running fine. Archos did do a huge number of firmware updates for it, probably more than was financially wise. There are web sites discussed in this forum (xda?) which may offer more recent unofficial firmwares for it (at your own risk).

I had mine configured perfectly, but unfortunately did a recent android reset and can't be bothered to reinstall the google stuff. Google play just keeps updating apps with more bloat than can fit in the appspace. Luckily I backed up .apks of the best video and music players and can let my a70 continue to do what it does best. New whizzy apps can be run on my newer devices instead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Going along with this topic. I just recently bought the Archos 70 250 gb tablet. It worked fine when I got it so then I added the Google play and the apps started to act up getting force close like crazy.My goals are simple I want this tablet for an MP3 player first off 2nd I want to get the RDIO or Spotify app for offline playing which both of those do now. I also wnt video game Emulators. I don't want my battery drained in my Galaxy s5. So my question is what is the most stable OS or firmware for what I'm looking to do? I know the SDE would be an option but it says that I couldn't have DRM protected material. So any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:02 am 

The official firmware has extremely small space for apps, and it has been my and a few others observation that you must underfill the appspace by 50 or 60mb for it's own housekeeping or the tab will chronically drag or lockup or whatever. It was designed to save space for media not today's megabloat apps, so you can really only install a handful.

All such things are covered in the sticky topics at the top of general gen8 area viewforum.php?f=63 . See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=64427 topic for the simplest fix. Or did you install google play correctly, as in the mostly obsolete topic viewtopic.php?f=63&t=47197 :

Farsquidge wrote:
For the Generic user I thoroughly recommend Arctools on Appslib as a Market installer.

All other Market installers are 'One Off' unless you keep track of the developers site/thread.

Arctools automatically informs you of an update just as any other app would do, thereby keeping you on track.

I use it, it works well, and online Market works fine without any of this unesessary Fix/Unfix rubbish. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can be a generic user if I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 for all of the ungeneric things. If my phone had 250 gigs we wouldn't be having this conversation. When I first got my Archos I tried to install the market place for Google play but when I got it all installed it said to donate for the market app not for free so I didn't know what to do then. So then I downloaded the latest Gappinstaller for it. So that was what is making it unstable I guess. Where should I go from here?