Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I brought a faulty 101 on ebay and on inspecting it was found to work perfectly except for a very poor display very washed out and with all the colours inverted, you can tell if you have the same problem as on the startup screen the "your" will be a blue colour rather then the normal yellow.
The fix
remove the six torx screws from the case and carefully open (you will find instructions on the net if you google)
be very careful of the two ribbon cables that join the top and bottom parts if you tear them it is game over!
I unplugged mine the larger LCD one just pulls up out of main board but the digitizer you lift a clip from the back of the connector very fiddly so take your time once disconnected you can lay the top down flat on something flat

The back of the LCD is covered with a metal foil you need to carefully fold back the corner to expose the circuit board of the LCD (top left) as you look at the rear of the LCD opposite the connector) you should see a clear plastic cover over the PCB fold this back and you will see a tiny variable resistor if you look closely you will see its position mine was pointing between the centre leg and the right hand leg this is the faulty component the connection between the wiper and the carbon track has gone, you have Two choices replace the variable resistor or do as I did, turn it to clockwise so that the wiper is pointing at the right hand leg if you have a multimeter the resistance between the centre and right hand leg should now read zero ohms all should now be OK and you can reassemble remember the golden rule test it before you put the screws in ;-) hope this helps someone the model of the LCD panel fitted to mine is a n101l6-lob
If you take the time to reply to this post if you have the same problem that would be great thanks and good luck -Jay.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi do you have pictures of the resistor? I open mine & cant identify the resistor. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have not got a photo but it looks like this
image.made-in-china.com/2f1j00MBAaevWFiqcJ/Variable-Resistor-NOBLE-TMC3KJ-.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks .. i found the resistor ... if twisting it doesnt help .. then i guess its other problem .. rite ..
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for this.

I have a 10 XS now so I want to strip my old 101 G* down and add the SDE etc, but found when I switched it on this problem with the washed out screen and inverted colours.

Contacted Archos support who gave me instructions to do a complete Reformat with latest firmware, but still had same problem, so contacted support again and still waiting for reply.

Then found your post here - followed your instructions and hey presto everything working fine again.

So big thank you
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) :!:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you mate.

This has solved my issue, first I believed the screen was damaged, but when I found this post I just tried to turn the resistor bothways and at some point the screen came back to life. After putting everything back in place I have performed a screen calibration and for now the beast seem to work fine.

Thank you again