Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The hardware mousebuttons nor the mouse at the right work right now.

The touchpad drivers need to be installed manually from eeti.

-Yves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello

Is someone could make a working iso of a Ubuntu (10.04 ou 10.10) on Archos 9 with all (wifi/screentouch, etc..) working fine ?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my very poor english.

From Corsica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
The hardware mousebuttons nor the mouse at the right work right now.

The touchpad drivers need to be installed manually from eeti.

-Yves

Good to know; thank you very much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone,

I just Install Ubuntu 10.10 on my Archos 9, all drivers working but the ps/2 mouse still don't work correctrly.

Any solution for this problem?

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just one more thing,

The ps/2 mouse worked perfectly before I install the eGalax drivers.

Last edited by Stonner on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can anyone help me?? pleaseeeee!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Stonner wrote:
Can anyone help me?? pleaseeeee!!!

I'm awfully sorry, but there is no fix for this problem yet. Even our most experienced Linux tweakers are stumped. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Just providing some closure, in case anyone was still out there hoping for a solution.

The Archos 9 was never 100% functional on Linux, but now the touchscreen cannot be made to work on any current Linux distribution. Obviously, without the touchscreen the 9 is a paperweight, so the issue may now be declared dead -- unresolvable.

Previous touchscreen solutions required rc.local to be edited, so to write serio_raw to the appropriate drvctl file. However, this is no longer possible; something in the system has changed, such that drvctl can no longer be written, even by root.

This is a terrible shame, as a crop of new Linux distros were appearing that were working spendidly on the 9, apart from the obvious touchscreen issue. My personal kudos go to Mageia, whose Mageia 3 product was a beautiful and thoroughly modern Linux implementation that still managed to work VERY well on the Archos 9's limited resources. Honorable mention to Bodhi Linux, which provided lots of eye candy and a beautiful, elegant interface while still conserving resources.

So I for one was forced back to Windows 7, but not to the horrible, slow, OEM Starter product, nor to the bloated full installation. My solution was a distribution called Tiny7, which I will not discuss further because

1. It is an unauthorized and heavily-hacked distribution,
2. It is already discussed in depth elsewhere in these forums, and
3. I will never stop hoping for an eventual Linux solution, even though I know no such thing is coming.

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge and experience on this adventure. It was actually fun (at times), ;) and I wish it could have been a happier ending. But that's real life for you.

Cheers -- Voo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, I just managed to make the touchpad kind of work with the latest eGalaxTouch drivers on a lubuntu.
The problem I have though is that the axis are switched (moving right moves the cursor up for example).

The hardware mouse buttons work too.

I added the evdev and uinput kernel modules in /etc/modules and copied the driver files as described in the driver manual as "manual setup" because the automatic setup couldn't find the devices.

Any help on how to setup the axis corectly ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

LeRenard wrote:
Hi, I just managed to make the touchpad kind of work with the latest eGalaxTouch drivers on a lubuntu.
The problem I have though is that the axis are switched (moving right moves the cursor up for example).

The hardware mouse buttons work too.

I added the evdev and uinput kernel modules in /etc/modules and copied the driver files as described in the driver manual as "manual setup" because the automatic setup couldn't find the devices.

Any help on how to setup the axis corectly ?

I'm sorry; I've never tried manual setup. Do you have the "i8042.nomux=1" parameter in your kernel boot command? This is very exciting news if you've actually gotten it to work.

EDIT: The fact that your mouse is working suggests to me that the system isn't yet recognizing your EGalaxTouch driver. Because they share the PS/2 port, we've never yet seen them work together.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yes I set the i8042.nomux=1 in grub. Only the touchscreen and mouse buttons work though, the mouse on the side doesn't (but I couldn't care less actually).

The problem I have is the inverted axis. I also saw this while researching a little https://github.com/poliva/opengalax
I set it up but the same problem appeared but the more options, the better !
I contacted the eeti company that made the original driver to see if I can make it work.

Wait and see

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just to let you know, I just made the opengalax driver work. I needed to patch the driver as the X and Y axis were swapped and both inverted.

I made a pull request to the project owner, so it might be updated soon I hope. https://github.com/poliva/opengalax/pull/4

I'm so happy it finally works :)

EDIT:
The mouse buttons don't work anymore (not really a problem but could've been nice)
In case anyone would try to setup the open galax driver:
download the source (check if my pull request is in the code)
cd in the folder and type make
sudo make install
reboot
try to use the touchscreen as is and if both the axis are swapped and inverted (moving right moves the cursor up), open /etc/opengalax.conf and change the direction parameter to 7
reboot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Very good news!

I hadn't heard of the opengalax driver; how did you discover it? Wonder if it works for other distros. :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

VoodooDali wrote:
Very good news!

I hadn't heard of the opengalax driver; how did you discover it? Wonder if it works for other distros. :cool:

I found the name in a forum googling for egalax and then searched for the github page. It should work on other distros too and it's much more reliable/easy than the official driver.
The guy was very responsive and accepted my patch the same day I posted it. Good stuff