Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

On the 3rd of June 2012 I bought an Archos 80 G9 tablet, I was happy with it, it worked fine, until December 2012. Suddenly I could not charge it any more, if I connected it to try to charge it switched off. So I contacted ARCHOS repair service and I sent my tablet to ARCHOS. After almost 2 months waiting for a replacement, they upgraded my old tablet with a brand new ARCHOS 101 xs. I was a little fed up because I was waiting almost 2 months for a replacement but, well, I thought, let's give ARCHOS an opportunity.

Guess what. The brand new ARCHOS 101 xs was faulty as well. Without touching the screen the borders are active, it goes back or opens the menu on the clock side without touching it, if you are watching a video the menu appears without touching it. I tried whatever I could: I tried not to touch the keyboard connection (thinking I could short-circuit the tablet), I rotated it because maybe it was a problem with some corners, I upgraded to 4.1 and to 4.1.2 and also I downgraded to 4.0.26, I recalibrated the screen from Android menu, I recalibrated the screen from Archos recovery menu, I reset android and I reinstalled android.

I wrote ARCHOS replacement and they asked me to send it again. GREAT :doubt:

I received the replacement (second replacement, third faulty Archos tablet), apparently a brand new Archos 101 XS(PC123902679), I say apparently because it fails again. What a coincidence, don't you think?

I recalibrate the screen a dozen of time, and blah blah blah...

Now I've recorded some videos showing the behaviour of the screen without touching it.

The same day I received the tablet I called archos (didn't work) and I wrote to rma-europe@archos.com and to rma-uk@archos.com, after 12 days they don't response to me. What do you think? What should I do? I'm waiting for a solution since January, first time I sent the tablet to RMA.

Videos:
http://youtu.be/IPdUWVKTn1w
http://youtu.be/VBWqDjhFhe0
http://youtu.be/si9PYzSqFtM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had almost the exact same experience with the 101G9 (unable to select at the edges of the touchscreen) starting in June 2012. After waiting 5 weeks from the point my device was RMA'd, I finally received a replacement - which was actually *more* defective. The touchscreen on the replacement device only worked at the edges. I have repeatedly attempted to contact Archos since July 2012 and have had essentially no response.

Although your experience with the 101XS sounds just as bad, at least they sent you this as a replacement. Archos claimed in August 2012 (both in a press release and at CES) this device would be available in the US in November 2012; it is now almost May 2013 and there is still absolutely no sign of the device, and no remark from Archos regarding the delay.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I had the same bad experience with the G8 and G9. Since then, I gave up on Archos in February and I decided to purchase a Nexus instead. I have no regrets, the Nexus works flawlessly. This proves that Archos is not looking for quality.

Archos is now out or my list for life. It took me a lot of time to make the decision. In fact, I purchased every generations since the Archos 605. Now that I have my Nexus, I now know what is a reliable tablet. A tablet that doesn't freeze, with a flawless GPS. Something that Archos was never able to fix.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Achos is a lousy technology company.

Both my Archos 70 IT and 80 G9 were initially adequate hardware-wise, but were constantly crippled with poorly coded firmware updates.

My very underwhelming experience with these tablets has caused me to lose faith in Archos's technical abilities and their customer service (if you can call it service).

My Nexus 7 has performed flawlessly from the start.

Very disappointed Archos 70 IT & 80 G9 owner
Very happy Nexus 7 owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME

I have experienced the same problem with both Archos 80 and Archos 101 G9 tablets.

No doubt there can be several reasons which bring this about, some of them hardware faults.

In my case both my Tablets worked fine initially. I found a solution which worked for me, but it will not for everyone, depending on the actual cause.

In both cases I cured this by very carefully cleaning around the screen border, particularly the bottom left corner. I used a 'just' damp (not running wet) reasonably hard small paint brush to get right into the corners and sides, a damp cloth after that, and finally a soft dry cloth to get rid of any residual moisture.

In my case, (I stress that, it will not apply to everybody) it appears there was a build up of dirt or finger grease, that was just sufficient to fool the capacative screen into thinking it had been touched from time to time.

One way of identifying where the 'phantom touch' is coming from is to go into 'Developer options' and select 'Show Touches'. A white circle appears wherever you touch the screen. On both my 80 and 101 units the dot appeared randomly in the bottom left corner.

I recently bought my daughter a G9 101, and straight out of the box the same thing happened randomly. Before resorting to sending it back I applied the same technique, and it worked. How a 'new' tablet could have accumulated anything to cause this is a real mystery, but it had, presumably at the factory, during assembly.

If this works for any of you out there, please post saying so. Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The Archos forum is dead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 am 

marlbrook wrote:
In both cases I cured this by very carefully cleaning around the screen border, particularly the bottom left corner. I used a 'just' damp (not running wet) reasonably hard small paint brush to get right into the corners and sides, a damp cloth after that, and finally a soft dry cloth to get rid of any residual moisture.

In my case, (I stress that, it will not apply to everybody) it appears there was a build up of dirt or finger grease, that was just sufficient to fool the capacative screen into thinking it had been touched from time to time.

Thanks, I ran corners of thin cardboard into the gap and removed crud. Then there seemed to be less false flashing of the touch dot. On mine, a touch can fire more than one dot, sometimes alternating ghost touches. Nice to have a way to reduce it, because some apps only are downloadable on my gen 9 and I have to sideload them everywhere else (funny how I can easily shove .apks via google drive cloud to subvert googles overly restrictive playstore).