Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Why is it when I go to YouTube on my Archos 32 and try to play a video, I get:
"Sorry, this video cannot be played."?

I have videos stored on my A32 that I can play and thought I would be able to play YouTube videos also.

I looked in Settings and see: Firmware Version 2.4.83 Android 2.2.1. Is that the latest version? If not, how do I get newest version?

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:22 pm 

Correction to my earlier post... a solution is in viewtopic.php?f=63&t=66768 (but not the first thing mentioned)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

viking wrote:
Correction to my earlier post... a solution is in viewtopic.php?f=63&t=66768 (but not the first thing mentioned)

I am sorry, but none of that makes sense to me. Doesn't our Archos 32 have the "Flash" that is necessary (I think) to play YouTube videos? Wihout creating accounts, etc.?
We are very new to all of this and have tried previoulsy to play YouTube vidoes and was told to wait a while and we would be able to do so. But so far - still cannot play YOuTube vidoes.

So, I guess my grandosn is out of luck trying to get YouTube videos to play on his Archos 32.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:02 am 

alicez wrote:
So, I guess my grandosn is out of luck trying to get YouTube videos to play on his Archos 32.

Sounds like a thankless attitude for the folks who have volunteered time for a solution for you. Yes, your device can play youtube beautifully. It is a very old design, so probably requires loading new apps for flashplayer or at least youtube.

I dont know where you are starting from in terms of software... adobe and youtube have just dropped bombshells by withdrawing flash player apps from the market and youtube changing format of their videos. Then google seemingly stopped providing new copies of these apps for this old device.

Didnt you notice someone kindly provided a direct ftp download of a working version of youtube? You need that and a version 10 or 11 flashplayer, which you may have. It is very doable, but followup questions should be in the general gen8 section since the issue is common to that whole family of devices. With such an old device, you wont find much of an audience left in this specific section.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't believe my previous post was "thankless" in the sense we (my grandson and I) know nothing about computers, tablets, etc. The response that we read was "way over our heads" and made no sense to us as beginners. We did not intend to "downgrade" the respones and suggestions, but we just did not understand them. I hope you can understand that some people do not know anything about these things. We tried to use the url provided but it did not work and we were ust going around in circles, etc. Hope you can understand this and our dilemma.
We have the mYouTube applet, Adobe Flash Playe 10.1; ApplsLib; but they did not allow us to play a YouTube video.
We didn't realize how old this Archos was and that is why we were asking the question in the first place. We asked the question in the past, but were told at that time that an update might be available in the near future and that is what we were looking for.
Sorry to have bothered you all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 am 

The thread i directed you too also raised a question about not being able to download from the ftp. I next posted they should try it from a pc, and they said great, it worked. You then need to xfer it from pc to anywhere on your device, then on your device bring up the files app to click on youtube.apk you downloaded to install.

Maybe they removed the ftp, like they warned, but it worked for me a couple days ago. You can also go to the other download site they posted with a pc. Or use hints they provided to ftp without a pc using a certain app. Probably your flash will work, but a later ver 10.xx up to 11.1 is better.

Its just potentially so complicated because adobe is shutting down flash support forever, and youtube changed their format without providing gen 8 a migration path. Most of us know how to tweak our already partly updated software, but dont have experience on doing it from scratch. Edit... you dont explain exactly what you tried when it failed, so we have to endlessly guess whether a pc was involved for instance and complicate the discussion for different cases.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:48 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

By the way, the YouTube app I'm keeping available does not require Adobe Flash.

I don't have Flash installed and the YouTube app works perfectly normally. It must be using YouTube's HTML5 player instead of Adobe Flash.

Here are the links again. It's often better to use the freefilehosting link as my ftp server also runs a bittorrent server which can mean my ftp upload speed (your ftp download speed) is very slow indeed.

http://www.freefilehosting.net/comgoogl ... dyoutube-1

ftp://takla.homelinux.org/com.google.an ... tube-1.apk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
Does anyone have any further details on the Archos Youtube Issue. I have an Archos 32 and have tried to install the older version in the other solution but receive an error and it wont install. Tried uninstalling all versions of youtube/flash and it's not an option.
Really keen on a solution to this, even if there's a way to wipe the tablet and start from scratch. All help welcome.

Thanks,

theNORTH.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:03 pm 

Googles next release of youtube that came soon after these posts worked ok.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi I've downloaded 4 versions of You Tube App, 3 I get Parse errors when trying to Install, the other (most recent) I get "Application Not Installed". Really frustrated as I bought this for watching youtube apps. Is there an other apps/hacks that can force this on and to work. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 pm 

Google market/player or the amazon app chooses the appropriate version for your hardware. Downloading at random is russian roulette. There are many posts on this issue, including links to working versions, in the general gen 8 section, and maybe the 101 section.