Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Nexus7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hey guys I just wanted to drop by and say how awesome the Nexus 7 is. I have no issues with it, unlike my experience with the G9 which had multiple firmware updates, supposedly fixing bugs, but actually causing others. I admit that at time, Archos had great value for its price, however I can't see why anyone would pick a g9 over a nexus 7 (screen size aside, and possibly HDMI out if you use that) however i have heard even with Archos HDMI out, it had issues with a lot of TV's. Perhaps the last remaining factor would be additional storage for movies and music, however the g9s had issues recognizing the microSD for many, and the HDD models were slow and laggy. So while Archos had great ideas, the didn't have the software quite right. With the same (or similar) SoC as the galaxy NEXUS, and no custom UIs, you would think it would be easier to get the basics right. Having great ideas without actual functioning software is not okay. I am excited for the G10s and hope Archos can learn from their mistakes on the G9, and make excellent hardware, accompanied with excellent software, at a great value.

Sent from my awesome Nexus 7

Post subject: Re: Nexus7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sper56 wrote:
I can't see why anyone would pick a g9 over a nexus 7

- 10.1" 1280x800 vs 7" 1280x800
- $219 with unlimited storage expansion through MicroSD vs $249 with forever locked 16GB storage
- Archos G9 was actually released in 2011 and Nexus7 is only released now.
- HDMI output
- 3G USB dongle slot for built-in 3G option
- 2x USB Host for external USB hard drives, keyboards, mice etc
- Built-in Kick-stand
- 250GB storage option
- Archos likely still has better multimedia support

Now I'm not saying Nexus7 is terrible. It's great that Google has convinced Asus and Nvidia to lower their prices (even if the $199 8GB pricing is quite fake, only the $249 16GB version is available at most stores). I just think it's ridiculous to suggest Archos G9 isn't still an absolutely awesome value for people who want any or all of those still feature advantages. And yes I do think you can expect Archos to announce and launch G10 any day now. That's going to be at a whole other level than Nexus7, Kindle Fire 2 and Microsoft Surface. And I do think there can also be a very awesome 7" G10 also at similar or better than $199 unlocked pricing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The Archos G9 is absolutely awesome on paper, and has an unbeatable price tag.

Unfortunately, the actual, real, physical product - which is what people actually buy and use - is the buggiest piece of kit since Clive Sinclair made his power amplifiers in the 1970s by buying batches of components that had failed their quality tests - i.e. he got the components for nothing and had the highest failure rate and returns ever known.

I, like sper56, also hope that Archos will get it right with their G10 series. I also hope they will persevere with the G9 range and get them working to the point that the physical devices match the paper specifications.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Archos is dead, can't compete with cheap chinese brand name (Ainol, Ramos, Telcast etc..), can't compete with major brand name (Google, Acer, Samsung etc...).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nekko wrote:
(Ainol, Ramos, Telcast etc..)

Those guys don't sell in Archos markets of Europe and USA. And whatever those Chinese brands do, Archos does better in Arnova and Elements.

Nekko wrote:
can't compete with major brand name (Google, Acer, Samsung etc...).

Archos has always been the best in that market and even more so today. The increased interest in the tablet market is only a good thing for Archos, it's basically more free publicity for Archos as now hundreds of millions more consumers in Europe and the USA learn about the type of product that Archos remains the best in the world at making. Just a couple years ago, Archos was selling half a million tablets per year, today thanks to all the free publicity, Archos can easily sell 3 million tablets per year, and in the mean time Archos did not need to hire many new people or anything like that, it's still a 150-employee company. And Archos did not need to pay anything for marketing and promotion, that 6x growth in 2 years happens only because Apple and all the other big brands thus provide Archos with free publicity.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

$199.00 Archos 70b vs $124.00 Ainol Novo 7 Elf II

Ainol win.

$199.00 Archos 70b vs $199.00 Nexus 7

Nexus win. No doubt about it.

The only sector that left for Archos to shine is 5'' form factor with big storage, other than that Archos is done.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nekko wrote:
$199.00 Archos 70b vs $124.00 Ainol Novo 7 Elf II

Ainol win.

Archos 70b IT is $149 and fully available at all major resellers in Europe and the USA, like Amazon, Best Buy, NewEgg, B&H, Adorama, J&R, Toysrus, Buy.com etc etc etc etc etc

Ainol is NOT for sale anywhere outside of China. And exporting Ainol out of China means $30+ shipping and upwards $40+ for the conpulsory import duty.

Archos wins.

Nekko wrote:
$199.00 Archos 70b vs $199.00 Nexus 7

Nexus win. No doubt about it.

Archos 70b is $149 and has things like kick-stand, MicroSD, HDMI output, USB Host that make it still more interesting for many.

But anyways you have to compare these:

Arnova 7 G3 available for $99 in all the major stores including Amazon, TigerDirect, B&H, Sears, NewEgg, e-Cost etc.
vs
Nexus 7 16GB supposedly available for $249, that is the only one and already not available anymore, out of stock at Sears, Adorama, B&H, it's not available anywhere.

Archos wins by far. Who wants to pay $249 for a Jelly Bean Tablet without a kick-stand, without MicroSD and HDMI when you can have one with MicroSD and HDMI for $99 from Archos under the Arnova brand?

Archos wins big.

Next up in the next 2-3 months Archos also has these weapons:

Archos G10 OMAP4470 with upgraded performance, features and designs yet still $199-$299

Archos Elements RK3066 with specs close to Asus Nexus7, specs better than iPad2 and prices $99-$199

Arnova G3 and G4 RK2918/2906 with specs better than a Samsung Galaxy Tab, fully running any latest Jelly Bean Android and priced $49-$99.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Paper stats are one thing, but software usability doesn't show up there.
After going thru update after buggy update with my Archos 70, my Nexus 7 has been a dream to use out of the box.

Also - the ROM and accessory support for the Nexus is already better than for my Archos 70 which is at the end of its lifecycle. Lots of case options out. Cyanogenmod support. There was even a custom ROM available before the Nexus 7's started shipping.

Yes, I do miss the kickstand and especially the SD slot. But they're in the noise when compared to everything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

frank wrote:
Paper stats are one thing

The fact is we've been enjoying $199 Archos 7" Android tablets for nearly 2 years now here on this Archos Fans forum. And using pre-Android WiFi-connected Linux systems from Archos since 2005.

If you want to compare Jelly Bean to Jelly Bean you have to compare with the Jelly Bean devices Archos is about to release. G10 $199, Elements $99 and Arnova G4 $49 as I mentioned in the previous message.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It seems funny that charbax always quotes that the other devices are newer that archos', surely that implies archos are behind everyone else? but that can't be so, because archos are the best?!

Archos has more bugs than a replicator ship from stargate..how can you defend that.

Archos are like the government, they promise so much, and end up dissapointing everyone (except charbax of course)

I looked at an archos 80, and was gobsmacked that the screen dimmed/blacked out from side angles, my samsung s wifi 5.0 tablet is clear from any angle! It may be a simpler device, but it works!oh, and it's battery lasts for 9 hours of video playback with only a 3 1/4 hour charge time.

Who would buy a nexus 7 with "a piece of crap nvidia processor" (charbax's words) over an archos product? probably people that want a device that works out of the box (dammit, those crazy fools!).
Er, the nexus 7 is sold out, so clearly a few people want it!
"Yes sir, you could buy this nexus 7 that works, but surely you want this archos device that doesn't!"

Great value for money is only good if the device works, hp touchpad, blackberry playbook anyone?

I run a photographic shop, we have cameras that are supposedly "great value for money", but they are cheap peices of crap. Who would buy a fuji camera with a poor lens, poor screen, poor reliability for £80, when you can buy a panasonic camera with great lens, great screen and great reliability for £90.

marcel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

marcel wrote:
Archos are like the government, they promise so much, and end up dissapointing everyone (except charbax of course)

Sure, that is why 1 million people bought an Archos Android tablet in 2010, 2 million people bought an Archos Android tablet in 2011 and over 3 million are to buy one in 2012. Yeah right, about 12 of those people are disappointed enough to come trash talk Archos in their spare time here in the forum. Otherwise pretty much everyone else is satisfied.

marcel wrote:
It seems funny that charbax always quotes that the other devices are newer that archos', surely that implies archos are behind everyone else?

You think on your head. Archos has always been way in advance of everyone else. There is no requirement for Archos to release a new product every 2 weeks to prove that. Archos release a new generation a year, that's how they have been doing it for the last 13 years and that's how they do it for now.

marcel wrote:
nexus 7

It's great that Google tries to convince Asus and Nvidia to stop being overpriced and unpopular. The fact remains we Archos users have had awesome $199 7" Android tablets since September 2010 and those even with more features than Nexus7, with MicroSD, Kick-stand, HDMI, USB host and even a lighter weight of 300 grams!!

Today Archos sells even better processing speed and overall performance at sub-$99, thus the correct way to follow Moore's law, halving the price of things every 18 months approximately. http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CEYQ8wIwAg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 am 

For me, the decision for Nexus 7 was an easy one... No micro-SD, no sale. If you don't mind the lack of space, then the Nexus 7 is a good buy.

I'm not willing to always need a connection to access my data. I prefer the micro-SD, full-size USB, and micro-USB of my G9 101.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Harfainx wrote:
For me, the decision for Nexus 7 was an easy one... No micro-SD, no sale. If you don't mind the lack of space, then the Nexus 7 is a good buy.

I'm not willing to always need a connection to access my data. I prefer the micro-SD, full-size USB, and micro-USB of my G9 101.

same here. I won't buy an apple device for the same reason. expandable memory and click and drag operation are a must for me. I've never used i tunes, so can't comment on that part of it. Ironically, how many more units could google sell if it did have micro SD? I'm hoping asus do a bit of work and include one on their device!
I'm also not prepared to wase time uploading and downloading to the cloud. My internet speed sucks where I live. I also don't see why I should waste my download allowance to put my own content on my own device!!
I've just bought a sandisk ultra uhs micro SD 64GB card from play.com for £40! I dont fancy paying £40 to get the 16GB version istead of the 8GB version.

marcel

Last edited by marcel on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I won't buy an Apple device on principle! Too many people buy them as a fashion item rather that a value device and they end up overpriced.

Someone else posted on this forum about Apple's "closed ecosystem" - that made me chuckle, and I heartily endorse the statement. Open Source - which is what Android basically is - is the way to go for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had goten the archos 101 after my home tablet went south as soon as it was released and while i enjoyed it....it IS buggy as hell. I dont understand why the Memory is limited and my apps2sd app isnt really helping. I felt cheated as there isnt an upgrade to honeycomb or ice cream.

I am lookng at the nexus as there ARE options for it. You can access your flash drive via diff mehods so the arguments against it aren't valid. Also I tried a friend's nexus tablet .....its worth every penny and he has a widrive which I never saw before so thats my next tablet....sorry guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

syounger64 wrote:
I had goten the archos 101 after my home tablet went south as soon as it was released and while i enjoyed it....it IS buggy as hell. I dont understand why the Memory is limited and my apps2sd app isnt really helping. I felt cheated as there isnt an upgrade to honeycomb or ice cream.

I am lookng at the nexus as there ARE options for it. You can access your flash drive via diff mehods so the arguments against it aren't valid. Also I tried a friend's nexus tablet .....its worth every penny and he has a widrive which I never saw before so thats my next tablet....sorry guys.

Hi,
can you explain the different methods to access the flash drive? and what's a widrive. My internet is REALLY slow, im in the process of down loading a video and it's currently at 20mb/s!

Marcel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Wi drive? Its made by Kingston and you can find it at Amazon.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:47 am 

syounger64 wrote:
You can access your flash drive via diff mehods so the arguments against it aren't valid. Also I tried a friend's nexus tablet .....its worth every penny and he has a widrive which I never saw before so thats my next tablet....sorry guys.

So I can buy a Nexus 7 and spent another ~$100 to access a WiFi harddrive... That isn't really an "option," so much as it is an expensive work-around. Any wireless harddrive would work as far as I can tell, but again, not really something I would consider an option to get basic functionality that almost all other devices offer these days.

The method of mounting a USB drive requires root, which many people aren't willing to do for worry of voiding their warranty. Also, this allows you to use a USB OTG cable, but still does not give you any access to mount anything permanent (micro-SD). While this can be considered an option, the steps required (and the fact that you would then have a tail on your tablet) really don't make it an option for a good number of people. If I had one, I would root it, but the lack of micro-SD make it so that the Nexus 7 is not an option for me at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:40 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just saw the news about a nexus 7 dock that includes micro usb for around 50 dollars plus other docks are coming so its looking better every day.

Nexus 7 tablet has the latest Android OS while I don't even know what my archos 101 has in there but its showing its age. It was a big mistake for archos to not to have develop the 101 further. I don't think I got my moneys worth. Sorry to say this but its time to move on past Archos.