Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

I got my 101 Turbo on friday and flashed the newest 4.06 firmware. But somehow I'm wondering about the touchscreen sensitivity. It seems my screen is not very sensitive, especially swiping is really hard.

This video demonstrates the problems I'm having swiping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVJPOYG ... e=youtu.be

So I enabled the debug feature for showing the raw touchscreen data. I realised everytime I swipe, there is a chance that the touchscreen registers a "going back motion", like drawing a hook while swiping. This can be seen in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMSy6EJ ... e=youtu.be

This hook like motion that the screen detects would explain why I have trouble swiping from one screen to another.

I also tried the "SGS Touchscreen Booster", which was recommended in some other threads, but it does not have any effect at all (propably due to kernel changes in ics).

So my question is: Is this normal for the Archos G9 101, or is my tablet faulty?

PS
I recalibrated the touchscreen like a hundred times. Pretty sure this is not a software problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have downgraded to Honeycomb and the issue is almost gone. This video compares HC against ICS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjTyzsF ... e=youtu.be

After upgrading to ICS, the problem appeared again. In another forum, someone with the same tablet has no problems on ICS. This seems pretty strange to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:47 pm 

Try the "drastic" style of recalibration mentioned in the info links sticky topic, although it is mainly useful for over rather than under sensitivity

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
Try the "drastic" style of recalibration mentioned in the info links sticky topic, although it is mainly useful for over rather than under sensitivity

Did that as well but it did not improve the situation.

I have already contacted the shop where I bought it and asked for a replacement. I will report if the new device shows the same behaviour with ICS.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had exactly the same problem with mine. Every three out of four swipes to change home screen or google current page etc would result in the swipe going the other way. The hook shape would explain that I guess. I also found flicking to be practically useless, the scrolling would stop almost instantly. I also found that dragging icons on the home screen had to be done really slowly or they'd jump back to where they came from.

So, no I don't think it's just your tablet. You might want to consider a different tablet altogether. There are way better ones on the market.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I also have the same problem with mine. Swiping quickly will result in a sudden stop in page scrolling. Problem is most prominent in PDF files where scrolling to the bottom of a long document is nearly impossible to do quickly.
Keep us posted on whether your replacement is having the same problems.

Turning on the pointer location in the developers option shows the same hooking motion that you mentioned when swiping quickly on mine also.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,

Can also confirm that my new 101G9 8GB Turbo has the same issue. The old 101G9 is working.

I wrote Archos the issue. the replied with format the system and do everything from scratch.
This didnt solve the issue. Iam waiting now for the answer of them.

Did somebody tried the Honeycomb or and older firmware 4.5 or so?

Hope ther comes a solution.

br
Thorsten form Austria

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried Honeycomb and it works flawlessly there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjTyzsF ... e=youtu.be

I also tried 4.04 and 4.06 Test2, but they have the same problem.

This has definitly something to do with ICS touchscreen drivers.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have you also asked Archos support,

The strange is that there are not so lot who complain this.
or this symptom is only on the new Turbo versions.

br
Thorsten

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To write the support I have to register my device, but unfortuatnaly I already sent it back to the shop to exchange for a new one.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Did you still get the `hooking` effect when you tried swiping on honeycomb with the touchscreen data turned on?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think the bottom line is that the Archos G9 is not yet ready for sale to the public. I don't think I have ever bought a product with so many problems. They are bordering on illegality selling this product to the public.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thisbewong wrote:
Did you still get the `hooking` effect when you tried swiping on honeycomb with the touchscreen data turned on?

There is no debug setting to show the raw touchscreen data the way ICS visualizes it, so I could not conform this issue is completly gone. But have a look at the above video. Flicking and swiping works flawlessly on Honeycomb, especially in the browser.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,

I have ordert a New ohne. Today i got it. But it has the Same issue. Archos told me i should it send back to them .
I will not to this because iam sure the have a Software issue. Two tabblets with the same error, i cant belive that.

I think everybody that have this Symptom should write this to archos.

Br
Thorsten

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Could people with this issue please send me the serial numbers of the units with the problem. Also if its not the 101-250 turbo ICS (part 502058) then tell me the model it is. Please email to [email protected]

Trying to solve this.

Serial number is under the kickstand or on the box. Likely starts with 12............

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Using Android ICS I experience the same problems, most notably when using Acrobat Reader. I sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to change to the next page (if it fails to page further, either the current page is still kept, or it even pages one or more pages back). I hope future firmwares will finally get rid of that problem.

But what is really annoying is, that when I plug in a USB OTG cable into the Micro-USB port (even without attaching any device to it), random touches appear as if I would swipe from left to right or right to left. Attaching a mouse via that cable shows a rock solid blue mouse pointer while in the background still random swipes occur. That makes operating the tablet difficult!

I remember that I did not have seen that effect when I first used that cable to attach e.g. an USB-stick. However, that may have been on my first G9 (this one was replaced a few days after I've received it, because backlight broke - it was definitely the backlight as on my TV I could still see the screen contents over the micro-HDMI cable) and on that device I did not upgrade from Android 3.2.80. So I'm afraid those random touches are also ICS related.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

My G9 turbo also has problems with touch screen

After waking from an overnight deep sleep, the touch screen goes wild, phantom touches occurring at a high rate. Impossible to use.

Rebooting fixes the problem until the next time it sleeps for a long time.

A short sleep, an hour or so does not cause the problem, but several hours does.

I have put the tablet in a secure place overnight and am sure NOTHING touches the screen whilst it is asleep

This is intermittent and does occur on every daily wake !!

Reset the touch screen several times no change.

This device or ICS 4.06 really sucks!

P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
I have Archos G9 101 turbo with 250gb.
I noticed that these touch screen problems occurs often with low battery >30% , high cpu usage or when the device is hot(HD usage).
Also usually when I unplug the power cable.
I doubt that this is software problem. To me it seems the devise is just not ready for market.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi

I have been investigating my touch screen problem.

1. Problem on 101 G9 turbo 4.06 IOS

After leaving the tablet for a few hours, with touch working properly, when next trying to use it, on pressing home, lock screen illuminates, unlock it ok, but the home screen then goes crazy, with random phantom touches bringing up different apps and icons continuously.

If I hard reset and reboot the tablet the touch screen then functions OK, until it is left in sleep for a few hours.

Observations.

1. Touch screen fails whether battery is full or nearly discharged.

2. The machine is cool.

3. Sometimes when touch is randomly firing if I rotate the tablet 90 deg from portrait to landscape, I get enough stability to try a few things

If I use sys monitor I find every app is loaded

If I perform a touch screen reset and recalibrate, the touch screen behaves normally for a couple of days!

When I first purchased the tablet I fitted an Archos brand screen protector to save the touch screen from scratches ----- Is this the problem ??? I don't want to try to remove it as it is a good fit with no bubbles, and it was bloody expensive for a piece of plastic film. If I remove it, I will have to get another one.

The only sure way to avoid this problem is to turn the tablet off completely every time I am not going to use it for a few hours.

regards

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have the Archos brand screen protector on mine and I do not have any touch screen problems, so I don't think it is the screen protector that is causing your problems.

And, yes - it is a crazy price for a bit of plastic, but at least it fits the screen properly!