Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there!
My archos 3g Stick rapidly stop working (until today everything was fine). 3g Stick connected to my PC response and works well, but when I connect into my Archos 80 G9 on rear USB (diod is blinking) application 3G doesn't start and there is no internet connection. I have recovered system setings to default and it's nothing. Please help with my issue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Try plugging a USB stick in there: if you don't see a USB icon appear in the info bar at the bottom of the screen, it could be that the USB socket is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think it is broken because do not respond :(
I will call support...
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You are not the only one facing the same problem , we think is a software problem since we are many , there are several threads regarding this topic !! I know Archos posted a link for downgrade to honeycomb on their site just to solve temporarily all this problems I am going to try now ! Hoping is possible and easy !! anybody tried?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

In my case it wont help. I downgraded software to previous version before and it's still nothing :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello , how did u downgrade, any instructions??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Return to 3.2 from 4.0 with no root
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1556161

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Don't know if this will help, but my 3G stick wouldn't work. I enabled 3G, rebooted while it was enabled, and it burst into life. Also got my GPS working since I did that when it didn't work at all since ICS.

Cheers,
Alan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I find the 3G stick sometimes doesn't work (you don't even get the 3G icon in the system tray) if you try to enable it after the tablet has gone sleep - a reboot usually fixes it.

I find that tablet is general unstable anyway after awaking from sleep since updating to ICS!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It looks like ICS damaged my Archos. I have still no chance to use 3G stick... Even if I downgrade to Honeycomb. Also GPS do not connect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Same situation for me what can we do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It appears that I am a new member of the "Archos 3G stick no longer works in the 80 G9 tablet" club. :( I went to the mountains with my friends and I was so happy with my G9 tablet, it worked both as a GPS and as an Internet 3G tablet. But at one point when I started the tablet the 3G didn't come to live. This happened to me before but after a restart it used to work. I tried to restart the device several times with no result.

I reformatted the device twice, first I installed 4.0.5 and then I tried 3.2.80 and the 3G stick no longer worked. It doesn't work not even now in my tablet. When I enable the 3G port nothing happens. :(

The stick works in my computer running Windows 7, that is I can connect to the Internet. Regarding the port I tried to connect a USB stick in it and it worked and it was able to access the data stored on it.

It appears that both the 3G USB port and the 3G modem are working but the tablet no longer wants to detect the 3g modem. Has someone called Support? What was their answer?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My tablet started to do the exact same thing! It just stopped recognizing the USB 3G stick, with no apparent reason. The stick is powered, its LED lights up, however the tablet can't communicate with it. On a PC the stick works. I have tried reinstalling several versions of firmware (3.2.80, 3.2.79, 4.0.5), from scratch, by formatting the device and uploading the firmware via USB. Nothing helps.

This archos thing is starting to annoy me. A lot of problems, instability, poor build quality.

This is a VERY POOR QUALITY hardware/software system, I have never encountered such a buggy device ever! Not even the cheap Chinese products create so many problems. Shame!

Archos 80 G9 1GB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've just found out what the problem is.

The 3G stick stops working after a while because of a mechanical problem inside the tablet. It is a major design fault which may cause any Archos G9 (both 80 and 101) fail to provide connectivity to the back USB host port. The reason? A poorly chosen connection ribbon between the mobile USB connector and the PCB.

Just look at these pictures.

First, the layout. You can see the ribbon about the center of the image, with the USB connector on the right side. Keep in mind that the USB connector slides back and forth in the USB stick area, by design. That is, the ribbon will be continually moved, which places a certain mechanical tension on it.

The following is the ribbon on its back side, featuring the data and power lines for the USB. Note the very thin lines in the middle. They are the data lines for the USB port, while the other two are the VCC and ground connectors. The very thin lines are very easy to break.

And this is how the data lines became broken after a while (less than a month of 3G usage in my case), because the ribbon is moving at each insertion and removal of the USB stick. Notice the several interruptions in the middle lines. The outer lines (VCC and GND) are not yet fully interrupted. The effect: the 3G stick will be powered, but it will be unable to communicate with the tablet. This is the exact behavior I noticed on my tablet.

ARCHOS, please fix this thing. AND send me a replacement cable/ribbon. It's a shame, you should have used a real cable between the connectors, instead of that frail ribbon.

I hope this post helps other users to understand what's not working with their tablet. This is obviously a hardware fault due to improper design, and obviously cannot be fixed by software :) So, if your tablet exhibits this problem, send it for repair.

I believe this to be a generalized problem. As you can see from the excellent teardown by Harfainx for the 101 G9 (viewtopic.php?f=85&t=61635&p=396078&hilit=teardown#p386593), the ribbon is the same in that tablet, too.

AGAIN, Archos, I hope you will send me a new compatible connector to fix the tablet myself...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After I gave up trying to contact Archos Support , :( I have decided had nothing to loose in opening and trying to repair myself , I changed the ribbon with something I found , a ribbon from my old cd-rom , and here it is working again :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

erne wrote:
After I gave up trying to contact Archos Support , :( I have decided had nothing to loose in opening and trying to repair myself , I changed the ribbon with something I found , a ribbon from my old cd-rom , and here it is working again :)

Apart from confirming the poor Archos support :(, this is actually good news! I will probably do the same, I wasn't sure about finding a compatible ribbon inside my old devices, but the idea of using one from an old CD ROM is very good indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

(and for those who want to use the 3G port for things other than the 3G stick, I guess the sensible approach is to wedge or superglue the USB port into a fixed position, to avoid wear and tear on the ribbon cable.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

erne wrote:

Do you have photos of your repair? and some guidance on opening these things up?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I still dont know how to add picture on the forum !! Can you believe. Image

As of the guide to dismantle u find a very good topic with pictures here : viewtopic.php?f=85&t=61635&hilit=teardown

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

erne wrote:
I still dont know how to add picture on the forum !! Can you believe. Image

As of the guide to dismantle u find a very good topic with pictures here : viewtopic.php?f=85&t=61635&hilit=teardown

Good luck!!

To add images to a post you must have them on server that allows downloading them directly, without authentication. The URL you include in the "img" tag must point directly to the jpg and not redirect to a login form (as it seems it's the case with the url you included). The best way to try it: paste the url in a web browser where you are not logged in to the server (forum, in your case) that hosts the pictures, the image should show up in the browser directly. You may use any photo hosting site that allows direct linking to the jpgs.

Dan