It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: newbee help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

we have recently bought an arnova 10 g2 for our son
we are completely new to tablets and linux

Is there an easy way of downloading apps etc and either changing their name or destination to make them easy to find
having access to the registry is worrying
when all you want to do is download and find it in music / pictures / apps etc rather than trawl throught the big list ?

sorry if there is already an answer to this somewhere but i have looked and was struggling a bit

Also didn't want to go to far with the machine until we understood it more
The horror stories of things going wrong make me want to err on the safe side

Also if there are any basic tips to help with getting started with the best app sites and how to organise the arnova to make it easy for a newbee to use without being some techno geek

Thanks in advance

Kenny

Post subject: Re: newbee help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not really sure i understand your problem. The easiest way to download apps is to use the appsib tool, that's accessed via the apps page, a square of squares to the right of the home screen. All the apps you have installed will be there to tap and run, no need to go hunting for them. It is possible to install the full google market on your g2 without need to do any hacking or custom roms and a quick google will show you how, or post a request here and i'll try and talk you through it. Some apps can be moved to your sd card through the manage applications option through the settings but i'm not sure you can rename them.

Don't worry about trashing the g2 as there is supposed to be simple factory reset option according to the website. Though not found it myself, on my Archos 48 you hold down the +vol while powering up and it gives you options to do a factory reset so i assume it will be similar on my 10G2.

Hope this helps
Damian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:35 pm 

Tips? There is a setup tips topic just a few lines above this one. It stays up there because it is "sticky". It isn't a place to post questions, just tips. So you can follow up in your own topics like here.

Horrors? No - it's fairly forgiving and safe to play with unless you go experiment with unofficial firmwares.

It's super easy to organize apps - just plunk the icons of your favorite ones onto the front screen. Hit the grid of dots button to bring up the total list, then just hold your finger on an icon to make a copy to front screen. You can find music, videos in the files app. Or with media playing apps, like video app. But the specialty apps can be idiosyncratic and not always show accurately. Especially the included gallery app - I would replace that with almost anything else for pictures.

Linux, registry? Huh - where's that? Don't get confused by posts by people trying exotic things or a vocal minority having unusual problems. This is the natural place for them to gather and they are welcome, but don't expect to share the same problems. Maybe you found the user guide too fine print - there is a pdf version avail on arnovatech download site where you can enlarge the font to humanly readible size. See tips and info topics.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

out of interest - is there a full user guide, i've hunted through the anovatech website but have been unable to find anything other than the quick start guide which is pretty limited.

Damian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 pm 

No full user guide, but in the "info sources" sticky topic I linked to arnova's FAQ page which is pretty good, and a gingerbread guide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks for the help

we can't seem to find much apps on the applib site.
is it safe to try gerrys android marketplace fix
without screwing up the 10 g2

is their any other apps sites to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I believe there is an amazon app srore, don't know the gerry solution but there is a specific g2 solution on the forum for installing full market place. It worked fine for me.

I've got thd zip file and instructionss somewhere if you can't find them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

we are in the uk is the amazon app store not only available in the us
if you can find the zip you mentioned that would be great

thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm uk too. Only mentioned amazon as i read it was available for the g2. Hadn't checked if it was available here. Will post the apps stuff in a bit for you.

Damian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://www.filedropper.com/googleappsarnova7g2_1

http://www.filedropper.com/googleappsarnova7g2_1

Unpack and copy the folders to your device, then install the apk files from the app folder in the order that the instructions txt file says.

Worked first time for me on my 10G2 - i got the link from either this forum or the arctablet forum, can't remember now

Damian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:00 am 

ally95 wrote:
is it safe to try gerrys android marketplace fix
without screwing up the 10 g2

Gerry updated and relocated the approach, but it really originated from a single mysterious post from ultimodiablo, as I excerpt from "tips" topic below. That is the only way to get the most dazzling market without changing the firmware. It has been widely celebrated as working and safe on this and other forums.

The only annoyance is it can be hard to get market "kick started" the first time after you install. All I had to do was reboot a number of times. Others have posted a bunch of weird steps that worked for them instead. Oh, and then for me it keeps pestering me to update to flash11, which you do not want and will break flash on the arnova until you revert to flash 10.3.

viking wrote:
Here is the simple way to install market without firmware changes. After installing, you may have to reboot or sometimes clear data in settings to get gmarket to allow you on:
ultimodiablo from arctablet wrote:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QSM6ATPB
VIKING UPDATE: instead use http://www.mediafire.com/?iu9scb6nn302tkr

Extract the files, transfer the files and then install the apks using file manager in this order:

-1.Google Services Framework
-2.OneTime Initializer
-3.Setup Wizard
-4.Talk
-5.Gmail
-6.Vending