Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ROCKETS00 wrote:
Can't read emails. Just white screen and then inbox shown.

Standard email or Gmail?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

JDfense wrote:

I have a performance problem in DaremoS gingerbread and maybe your hint to take an older market will help.
By the way what have you changed in the fun_stuff from 18.11 in your rom? Fun_'s version don't work good on odys genesis http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=621
Maybe your rom could help to fix my problem. ;)

I don't have an answer right now. I'll look into it this weekend (which doesn't mean that I have an answer then ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gmail,

is it possible to use my mouse with this ROM? The cursor is just stuck in the up left corner. It works fine with 2.2.

I found wikipage for unbrick:
http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... T_Version2

I use google and wiki was not among search results. I searched for "restore rom".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ROCKETS00 wrote:
gmail,

I'll try to see this weekend. Currently I'm running my froyo rom again.

ROCKETS00 wrote:
is it possible to use my mouse with this ROM? The cursor is just stuck in the up left corner. It works fine with 2.2.

You need to set the tablet in host mode. Did you do that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hvdwolf wrote:
JDfense wrote:

I have a performance problem in DaremoS gingerbread and maybe your hint to take an older market will help.
By the way what have you changed in the fun_stuff from 18.11 in your rom? Fun_'s version don't work good on odys genesis http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... tcount=621

I don't have an answer right now. I'll look into it this weekend (which doesn't mean that I have an answer then ;) )

Thanks.And I look into your rom.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am on Froyo too. Nope, I didn't use host mode. Will try it someday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This of USB HOST is not only to have the code in the ROM, it's also a kernel matter.
I own two RK2818: 8.4" & 7" tablets (Yifang type).
In tablet 7" USB HOST work fine while in 8.4" device doesn't work.
Of course I'm using THE ROM, GB.2.3.7 for RK2818 (my rom)
I called so because I was trying to make it work for over 4 month :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DaremoS wrote:
This of USB HOST is not only to have the code in the ROM, it's also a kernel matter.

I don't understand you assumption. I assume the original kernels of the original eclair or froyo roms were used to create the gingerbread roms. If the kernel works for the eclair or froyo rom on 7" and 8.4", why shouldn't it work for the gingerbread rom?
IMHO your assumption makes only sense if hostmode didn't function in the eclair/froyo roms for the 8.4".

Are you sure the init.rk28board.rc and/or init.rc doesn't contain incorrect references. Did you compare them between the 7" and 8.4"?
Is usb correctly mentioned in ueventd.rc?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hvdwolf wrote:
DaremoS wrote:

I don't understand you assumption. I assume the original kernels of the original eclair or froyo roms were used to create the gingerbread roms. If the kernel works for the eclair or froyo rom on 7" and 8.4", why shouldn't it work for the gingerbread rom?
IMHO your assumption makes only sense if hostmode didn't function in the eclair/froyo roms for the 8.4".

Are you sure the init.rk28board.rc and/or init.rc doesn't contain incorrect references. Did you compare them between the 7" and 8.4"?
Is usb correctly mentioned in ueventd.rc?

I can something add to your discussion. By example for the Prestigio pmp 3084b, there are more than one stock rom kernel. The one in Prestigios froyo don't work with DaremoS gingerbread. :? But the kernel from Prestigio eclair do the job fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Time for a feedback to your rom, hvdwolf.
I'm impressed. In my first look over this rom, I find no problems.
This rom is
very fast
stable
market fast
hd video okay
music okay and loud
gsync complete

There is nothing to do for me. =D> Your are cruel. :( :D
Maybe I would only add some adjustments in the built.prop for the screen finetuning, but this is only a question of taste.
Final result:
This rom is definitly much better than your national soccer team. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

PS.:Would you explain for a non-dev the function of those extra files fake-kernel and misc-newcmd in your rom and why did afptool repack them without a problem. I tried it once with a custom kernel for Prestigio where afptool ignore those extra files in the repack?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

JDfense wrote:
PS.:Would you explain for a non-dev the function of those extra files fake-kernel and misc-newcmd in your rom and why did afptool repack them without a problem. I tried it once with a custom kernel for Prestigio where afptool ignore those extra files in the repack?

To be honest: I have no idea what they are doing or what they are used for.
In the "old" Archos images they were not there. They were added in the roms starting somewhere in January 2011. As they are very small files (KBs compared to the MBs of a system.img) I just left them in. I did not even try to build a rom without them.

The "package-file" contains the list of files to be packed inside the rom. You could even pack your own Readme.txt inside the rom if you want to, so that a person could read your personal message, "copyright" message, a changelog or whatever.

The "update-script" and "recovery-script" determine what is done during update and recovery (sounds logical doesn't it :) ). I adapt these files to create my lazy roms, but I don't leave files out in these lazy roms as it has no added value. Compared to the system.img it doesn't make a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

JDfense wrote:
Maybe I would only add some adjustments in the built.prop for the screen finetuning, but this is only a question of taste.

Please tell me what you mean. Any improvement is welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

can anyone test if skype work for the with this rom? I myself cant seem to be able to get past skype login screen, I see the messsage "Signing in.." and after that i get Skype stopped working message..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

btw I have ran linpack and quadrant on this rom in my talbet and I get a stable ~4.1 mflops with this rom and ~720 Quadrant score.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sounds great this ROM !
Soon tuned for Archos 7c (A7CHT) as well ?? :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

JDfense wrote:
hvdwolf wrote:
JDfense wrote:

Thanks.And I look into your rom.

I found a few setings that need to be tweaked in the init.rc
Code:
    # org settings
    #setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 5120
    #setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 6144
    # More agressive settings
    setprop ro.HIDDEN_APP_MEM 15360
    setprop ro.EMPTY_APP_MEM 23040

# Write value must be consistent with the above properties.
# Note that the driver only supports 6 slots, so we have combined some of
# the classes into the same memory level; the associated processes of higher
# classes will still be killed first.
    write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj 0,1,2,4,7,15

write /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory 1
    write /proc/sys/vm/min_free_order_shift 4
    # org settings   
    #write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,2048,3072,4096,5120,6144
    # More aggressive settings
    write /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree 1536,2048,3072,4096,15360,23040

Simply search for the original values and update to my "more agressive setings".
These settings need to be set in my own rom to. The lowmemory killing settings are adapted that as many apps as possible fit in memory. I want to have less apps in memory and therefore much more speed.
I use this setting in all my eclair and froyo roms and simply overlooked it in this gingerbread rom.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks hvdwolf, I will try your settings.
I have a version for odys genesis with your system ready. I will upload the rom later today in the xda thread. You left nearly nothing to mod. 8) Feel free to look in the built.prop, if you want to see possible adjustment for a "crunchy screen", but they are not so useful in your system than in DaremoS. Maybe it has to do with the different launcher.

Edit:
Your system is now in the Odys genesis/Prestigio pmp3084b released.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... count=1379

Thank you for this stable and useful rom. Let's see what the others in the thread find out. ;)

Last edited by JDfense on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi hvdwolf, and once again, thanks for your work. I wondered if you removed unneeded apk files you mention on xda in your latest .05 rom ? (it might hopefully prevent the screen from waking up randomly).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

wangeris wrote:
I wanted to ask you one more thing, what about removing functions like phone, contacts etc. stuff, that is not required on archos, from the ROM? Can I remove all that stuff building a custom rom without breaking anything? Is there any good guides on custom ROM guides?

Sorry. I overlooked this question.
I just answered it on xda so I copy my answer in here. And yes, I removed those from my gingerbread rom(s).

Quote:
Below mentioned apk's are "phone" apks and can be removed.
Phone.apk
Mms.apk
VoiceDialer.apk
CarHomeGoogle.apk
Talk.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
Provision.apk

Note that there are also several *ril* libraries but be very careful with them. The main ril library is a dependency for many other apks.
The following libs can safely be removed on MY Archos A7HTV2 tablet.
libreference-cdma-sms.so
libreference-ril-23d.so
libreference-ril-rk29-mid.so
libreference-ril.so

Note that it can be different for yours.

I have an A7HTV2, which is a rockchip device without fancy extensions. Therefore I can also remove:
android.rockchip.hdmi.jar
android.rockchip.manager.jar
android.rockchip.tvout.jar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

spocky wrote:
Hi hvdwolf, and once again, thanks for your work. I wondered if you removed unneeded apk files you mention on xda in your latest .05 rom ? (it might hopefully prevent the screen from waking up randomly).

I removed the mentioned files (like mentioned in the post above) but I can't remember whether the tablet wakes up on (ir)regular basis. I'm currently back on my froyo doing all kind of tests. Somewhere next week I want to continue with the gingerbread.
The USB mass storage mode still functions badly and I want to see whether I can fix that with a (gscript) script. As soon as USB mass storage mode functions correctly (and I hope it will be fixed in the code) the gingerbread rom will become my daily rom. Currently I still stick to the froyo rom.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next