Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, just wondered if anybody could help me, I can't charge my Arnova 7 G2 to 100%, it stops at 87% or reaches 94% and then drops to 87% when I unplug the charger. Not sure if it's the battery or the devices software, I'm thinking of returning it but thought I would try here first for help, I've tried draining the battery completely and charging but nothing seems to work, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:38 am 

Have you run it thru a number of charge cycles in order to let the software learn how to calibrate the charge? I don't know how it worked on my 10 because I went by that battery symbol which is wildly optimistic. It was so hard to dig deep into settings for the real numbers that I didn't watch that until I got a widget for it, and by then the charge numbers look pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have done about seven or eight charges now, I use battery snap now, it gives all the details of the battery and it confirms the percentage, doing one more drain and recharge. Do you think it's returnable for refund if it never fully charges, kinda think they will argue it's not a valid reason, bought from HMV in UK, thanks for reply.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:31 pm 

I don't know about return policies. I assume you tried leaving it on charge a long time. When I first installed my battery charge widget, I noticed my 10 would pause for a LONG time around the 67% point (then break thru). Both when charging and draining! I figured it wasn't so bad if it also paused when draining. Anyway, now I think it has smoothed out. BTW maybe you have another compatible charger around to try?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, sorry for delay in replying, managed to get it up to 95% after another full drain and recharge. As you mentioned a better charger would probably help, I,m looking for one on amazon uk, I've read a lot of people use universal chargers, so I guess the chargers adapter is a standard size, thanks for the help and replies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:40 am 

Oh, I just meant a sanity check with a borrowed charger to see if it went any different. In any case it might not be any lack of charging of the battery, just an incorrect reading by the charge indicator. I think it is a very inexact technology that takes readings, and it helps to be "trained" by many cycles. Mine now hangs up for hours at 99%, which worries me about the charger cooking an already charged battery. But maybe it's no problem and anyway may disappear.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yea I'll do a recalibration once a month to see what happens, but it's great to see an improvement, and I read many people have had better charge readings with a different compatible charger. I think the G2 needs a fast charger though and not a trickle one, thanks again.