Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi....I really need some help with my Archos 5. Just recently I cant seem to connect my Archos to my computer for file transfer. Every time I connect it using the usb cable with the archos dock the Archos screen says pc hard drive connected but then a second or 2 says usb device disconnected without me doing anything! I tried using the supplied usb cable/charger and when connected screen says enable usb or charge? But before I can press the enable prompt it starts to charge! Is there something wrong with my Archos usb port?? PLEASE HELP....thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Before going straight to your Archos for blame, check on another computer. If you have a PS3/xbox you can connect and view your music. If you have another desktop/laptop check on that one. It could be your computer that's the problem.

If it turns out your Archos is to blame you may need to open it to fix it. Lets hope it's just your computer ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Already tried it on a different computer...same thing happened as well. What I dont understand is if theres a problem with the usb port of the Archos then how come it will charge? Theres no problem charging it using the dock via power outlet or via usb computer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is what actually happens when I connect the Archos to the computer via usb...the screen says USB cable attached pc hard drive...but then after a second it says USB cable removed without me doing anything...then goes back to the main menu. Ive already tried connecting the Archos to different usb ports of 2 different computers and also used another usb cable all with the same result. PLease HELP!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Try it from recovery mode (shut down, wait a second, start up and hold vol+ key, go to repair disk). If you can connect to the PC 9and have a stable connection) from there, then the firmware could have gotten damaged somehow. Otherwise ... it's hardware. How comfortable are you to open it up and (maybe) resolder some USB hub pins on the Archos? You need to inspect the pins and the solder and see the damage. If there are cracks, you need to resolder those parts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After doing the restart + hold volume button I chose repair disk. I then get to recovery update that tells me to connect device to pc and install update file...How do I update the file? Transfer the file from pc to archos? If so then it doesnt work coz after connecting the archos to the dock which is connected to the pc via usb nothing happens. My archos doesnt show up in my pc. Another thing I noticed is that at the bottom part of the main menu of the archos is the icon add-ons...this changes to dock once I connect the Archos to the dock...does this mean that my archos' usb port is fine?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Connect it directly instead of using the dock. And you don't need to transfer an update file, just to see if it is recognized and you can access files (quitting out of recovery without transferring updates is fine).

About the dock, can't help you as I do not own any docks for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok so now Im in recovery mode...what I see is a white screen with the words " Archos G6H recovery ( code 101 ) would you like to recover your system? " I then attached the usb/charger cable directly to the Archos. Nothing happens...Archos still doesnt show up in my computer. Should I choose repair disk or format disk?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:11 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Repair disk ... format will do just that, format it :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well I did format the disk...now Im back to recovery mode code 101 with the white screen. It tells me to connect to pc and install firmware but still Archos doesnt show up in my pc...still no connection. The worst thing now is that Im stuck at recovery mode whereas before at least I could get into the main menu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ciotime wrote:
Well I did format the disk...
God damn it ...
ciotime wrote:
now Im back to recovery mode code 101 with the white screen. It tells me to connect to pc and install firmware but still Archos doesnt show up in my pc...still no connection. The worst thing now is that Im stuck at recovery mode whereas before at least I could get into the main menu.
I meant that formatting it will actually format it, and that's not what you want. Damn it ...
Well ... every other possibility has been exhausted. Something went wrong with your USB port on the archos. You need to open it up (follow this guide if you have a 120/250GB model, this guide if you have the 60GB or 3G model). Inspect the USB connector area. Remember that the important area is the second USB connector (closer to headphone jack) and not the first one (closer to power button). Check those pins and make sure the solder is not cracked/broken. If it is, you may need a small tip soldering iron (those pins look quite small ...). Also, you could irreversibly ruin the unit so you have been warned. If you don't feel comfortable soldering either ask/pay/get someone who is confortable soldering (if you need it) or get a used/for parts unit off eBay (like this one, where touch screen is gone) and see if you can fix it. If you don't feel like fixing it, put it up on ebay for parts and buy a newer model.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

" format will do just that, format it :P " From what you wrote I really thought you meant to format it...oh well whats done is done...Ill try to open it up and see...