Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My USB host died yesterday. I had just got my Archos to a state where I was really enjoying it. It was a fully fledged laptop replacement with external mouse and keyboard and I even used it as a media server (yes server) with twonkey installed. I was even contemplating ebaying my laptopas it hardly ever got used.

then half a dozen error messages mid-afternoon, one wipe and reformat, one call to amazon later and I'm getting a full refund. I'll be using the money for a new eee pad transformer. Sorry archos but I like the look of your new gen 9 and all but you're being stingy on the memory and I'm not falling for that again.

Shame really.

On the other hand I'll have some accessories to sell to anybody that will want them (usb keyboard case, mouse, etc) sometime in the next couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:49 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Mace242 wrote:
then half a dozen error messages mid-afternoon, one wipe and reformat, one call to amazon later and I'm getting a full refund.

When did you buy it?

Bax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah I took my archos 101 back and got a real tablet the toshiba thrive. :) I wasnt going to take a chance of the usb going out again. Now Archos wont even be an after thought anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It has happened to me too. Yesterday. Suddenly. No notifications. Nothing. Dropped dead. And he is only a month old.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

baxjohnson wrote:
Mace242 wrote:
then half a dozen error messages mid-afternoon, one wipe and reformat, one call to amazon later and I'm getting a full refund.

When did you buy it?

Bax

I bought it in February and thankfully I know a little about UK sales law so I told them where to go with the "you have to send it back to Archos" rubbish (in a polite way mind). Thankfully we have pretty good consumer law here in the UK and combined with European and a little knowledge you can get on well. It helps that I got it from Amazon and they link to the UK consumer law page that says my contract is with Amazon, not Archos. So no Archos returns and no tablet I won't feel I can rely on.

Like I said - it's a bitter sweet thing as I just got the Archos running how I like.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dr3yec wrote:
Yeah I took my archos 101 back and got a real tablet the toshiba thrive. :) I wasnt going to take a chance of the usb going out again. Now Archos wont even be an after thought anymore.

How is it as a tablet? I've not yet bought the transformer and am open to other ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, I caved and reformatted my device completely, even had to download the firmware from the Archos site and load it on...... And yep, usb is still not working, brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ach wrote:
Well, I caved and reformatted my device completely, even had to download the firmware from the Archos site and load it on...... And yep, usb is still not working, brilliant!

I tried all that too. I am sure it is a hardware issue. If amazon hadn't authorised a full refund I'd consider taking it apart and checking the solder at the usb port, etc. I also tried several other firmwares and OS installs and they all don't see the port. Must be hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Mace242 wrote:
Ach wrote:

I tried all that too. I am sure it is a hardware issue. If amazon hadn't authorised a full refund I'd consider taking it apart and checking the solder at the usb port, etc. I also tried several other firmwares and OS installs and they all don't see the port. Must be hardware.

lol I'm sooooooo tempted to take it apart myself, but in my past experiences, that never ends well.

So this leaves me with the option of returning it, or living with it .

And frankly, I'm thinking of just living with it, I may be upgrading to a new tablet by the end of the year anyways, so I dunno if I even feel like dealing with the Archos RMA procedure anyways!

Now, if I was to send it back and they were to upgrade me to the Gen 9 - then that would be something very enticing :D

That happened to me with Palm once (before they became a part of HP). I had a Treo 680 and was having lots of problems with it, I mailed it to them (RIGHT before the Treo 750 came out), and to avoid any future problems they just mailed me back a brand new Treo 750! I was ecstatic!

Dreams do come true 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got my 101 (from Archos.com) back in late Feb. :D
Port failed around April. :(
Didn't want to send it in because of hearing other horror stories about receiving a worst one in return.
Speaker failed in June. :x
Finally fed up and RMA in late July.

They sent me a NEW one in early August. :o
Notify customer service to re-apply my purchased Plug-in, because their website wouldn't recognize my order #. :(
Bottom of screen not responsive to touch at all and having ripples on screen. :(
Hoping for a "break in" period.
After 3 weeks with no improvement, send in another RMA. :x
Received an email to activate my plug-in for my replacement. :roll:

Received my replacement in early Sept. It is a refurb this time, but it looks clean, like new.
Screen still not as responsive as my 1st one (I missed it so much), maybe it has to do with the latest firmware.
So far, the usb port is working fine (knock on wood).
To be honest, I don't use or expect much out of this tablet anymore. :|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

moonbus wrote:
Screen still not as responsive as my 1st one

Make sure your 101 is set on the overdrive setting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

moonbus wrote:
Got my 101 (from Archos.com) back in late Feb. :D
Port failed around April. :(
Didn't want to send it in because of hearing other horror stories about receiving a worst one in return.
Speaker failed in June. :x
Finally fed up and RMA in late July.

They sent me a NEW one in early August. :o
Notify customer service to re-apply my purchased Plug-in, because their website wouldn't recognize my order #. :(
Bottom of screen not responsive to touch at all and having ripples on screen. :(
Hoping for a "break in" period.
After 3 weeks with no improvement, send in another RMA. :x
Received an email to activate my plug-in for my replacement. :roll:

Received my replacement in early Sept. It is a refurb this time, but it looks clean, like new.
Screen still not as responsive as my 1st one (I missed it so much), maybe it has to do with the latest firmware.
So far, the usb port is working fine (knock on wood).
To be honest, I don't use or expect much out of this tablet anymore. :|

That I have seen a few too many stories like this, and my own USB failure and the lack of memory in the gen 9 has ended my relationship with archos. It is a real shame as they do some things (media playing) better than anybody else. If they had put sensible memory in the gen 9 and didn't do all this silliness with turbo versions that to be honest just reeks of getting them out before they are ready, then perhaps I would have spent a little longer ruling out the gen 9.

I think they will keep losing customers as long as they don't sort this stuff and that would be a shame - we don't want to see the company fail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:38 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Can you use an OTG cable with the micro USB in the 101 as a substitute to the USB host port? It seems to work with the 70.

Bax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

baxjohnson wrote:
Can you use an OTG cable with the micro USB in the 101 as a substitute to the USB host port? It seems to work with the 70.

Bax

I can't get the OTG cable to fit in the micro usb port on the 101.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

butterflygirl wrote:
baxjohnson wrote:

Bax

Every OTG port I've ever come across was USB-mini, not -micro.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

butterflygirl wrote:

Wow....feeling defeated.

I am surprised and impressed you got a Gen 9. I read your review (excellent as always) and it seems you are luke warm about it. It seems the screen while better, is not good.

I am waiting to see if you decide to keep it. If I were a betting man (I am) my money is on return.

Bax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

baxjohnson wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:

Wow....feeling defeated.

I am surprised and impressed you got a Gen 9. I read your review (excellent as always) and it seems you are luke warm about it. It seems the screen while better, is not good.

I am waiting to see if you decide to keep it. If I were a betting man (I am) my money is on return.

Bax

Definitely keeping it. The more I use it, the more I like it. Archos has announced they will turn host functionality on again on the 3 g port with the next firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

karel jansens wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:
baxjohnson wrote:

Bax

Every OTG port I've ever come across was USB-mini, not -micro.

Every one I have ever used was micro.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The USB has failed again on my 101. I note that the 101 G9 does not have a full sized USB input, an admission of defeat? There is a USB host cable advertised as an accessory, which plugs into the micro USB port and allows a full sized USB stick to be inserted into the other end. Has anybody tried this with the 101 with any success?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Toneser wrote:
The USB has failed again on my 101. I note that the 101 G9 does not have a full sized USB input, an admission of defeat? There is a USB host cable advertised as an accessory, which plugs into the micro USB port and allows a full sized USB stick to be inserted into the other end. Has anybody tried this with the 101 with any success?

OTG cable does not work on 101 micro USB. The 101 should have a full sized USB port for the 3g dongle which Archos is going to activate for other USB use.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next