Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

compare the iipad and the g9 and feel free to share opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

There are many ways to compare the two, but I am going to only consider what I think is the primary problem.

Cost!

Apple has changed it's tactics with the IPad and kept the initial cost low but still Archos can match or beat it AND remember that is only a part of the game..

Apple is the COST that keeps growing. If you get hooked (and I mean hooked, because that is what the Apple experience is all about) on the iTunes store, you feel mighty good for a while, but the cost keeps growing. It is the cost that stays and stays and grows and grows.

Over the life time of any device the Apple gadget will cost more. Usually much more. Don't be suckered by a low entry fee.

I like to say that I can buy any one gadget I want to. Now granted I am not speaking of a $200K car, or a $500K yacht, or a million dollar house, but any TV, any computer, any tablet, any TV service, any lawnmower, any bike, any canoe, and so on.

BUT I have to spread my money over more than one gadget, so I must think about what I really need and and how it fits in the total cost of all the gadgets I get... A part of those considerations are thinking about the ultimate cost not just the initial (call it entry) fee.

My wife has an Apple Ipod-Touch. She loves it. I appreciate it. I hope that I never buy another Apple product.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:46 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Simply no contests.

iPad2 loses everything, aside from the "snob" fulfillment apple users tend to think they have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos with no contest. Archos has more features, more memory, more storage, faster processor, less cost. Ipad has name and style for much more cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The only thing the ipad has over the gen 9s is it is available today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All we know about the gen9 is from the presentation in Paris and the specs on the Archos Website.

So there is no way yet to really compare a lot of points. For example:
- screen quality
- battery life
- usability

We know of some points which Archos claims to do better than iPad:
- native codec and video format support
- HD support up to 1080p
- faster CPU (benchmarks)

And we know about some advantages of gen9 for certain:
- you don't have to decide on 3G capability when buying the device
--- a later upgrade to LTE or WiMax could even be possible
- a lot cheaper than iPad
- Option for 250GB HDD
- HDMI Out

disadvantages?
- bigger bezels (unused space around sreen) (some like it, some don't)
- no regulary TV out via component or composite (some want it, some don't)

And don't forget, there is a ongoing discussion about Apple presenting a new iPad3 or iPad2 v2 around September which "could" counter some of the mentioned advantages.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:42 pm 

Apple is driving away customers in huge numbers with it's "If you compete with me, I'll sue you" attitude. Soon they won't be able to keep the technology up to par with everyone else as they lose customers, and lawsuits.

That said... Regardless of hardware, Android > iOS. So there really is no argument here. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Harfainx wrote:
Apple is driving away customers in huge numbers with it's "If you compete with me, I'll sue you" attitude. Soon they won't be able to keep the technology up to par with everyone else as they lose customers, and lawsuits.

That said... Regardless of hardware, Android > iOS. So there really is no argument here. :lol:

A resounding....+1

to that. :D

With a slight (but BIG) caveat, Charbax always quotes Archos against phone provider prices.

What you have to remember with Apple devices is that, not only do you have the cell provider charges, you also have the locked in iTunes and iwantyourmoneyforappsStore charges.

One of the latest Bloomberg facts I saw firstly suprised me but then, on afterthought did not. Most people who own an iPhone do not want to change to Android, not because they think it is a worse operating system, no, they actually think its better, but they do not want to lose all the paid apps and music they have collected!

I can move my Google account to ANY other Android manufaturers device I choose to use, and my apps follow me...

The movie 'Money pit' comes to mind.... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:
One of the latest Bloomberg facts I saw firstly suprised me but then, on afterthought did not. Most people who own an iPhone do not want to change to Android, not because they think it is a worse operating system, no, they actually think its better, but they do not want to lose all the paid apps and music they have collected!

I can move my Google account to ANY other Android manufaturers device I choose to use, and my apps follow me...

The movie 'Money pit' comes to mind.... ;)

Interesting. I don't use iTunes so i hadn't actually thought of that. Couldn't you access it from another computer and download those? Or are they specifically designed to run only on iDevices?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can move your songs. That is a simple enough process of converting if needed. A lot of apps even transfer playlists and libraries for iTunes to Android.

Apps are another issue. If it is an Apple app, it is an Apple app. Same goes the other way around. So yes, if you have bought a bunch of apps then you are pretty well out of luck on going to Android. Even if you own an app that is made for both platforms, you would have to buy it again for Android if it is a paid app. Quickoffice comes to mind on this...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Certainly the Ipad 2 is dearer but it does have better build quality. But Archos has some great things going for it, especially the 250gb version, oh the number of HD films, episodes I could stick on there would be great. Kickstand, good, HDMI out good. 512mb ram shouldnt really be an issue hopefully.

But dont be fooled into thinking that the Ipad 2 cant play every format going cause it can with XBMC. Just jailbreak it and stick that on and it can play every file, even 1080p high profile, the wife has got one and uses it to stream from the computer. Even transferring files is easy using Ifile instead of itunes, so there are solutions to some of the issues.

I think the biggest draw is that the appstore is brilliant whatever way you look at it, my 3 year old loves the Ipad and the kids apps that are there. I have the galaxy tab and the appstore for android is a joke, its really rubbish. Yeah it has the essentials but none of the great apps that are there for the Ipad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tscotsman wrote:
Certainly the Ipad 2 is dearer but it does have better build quality. But Archos has some great things going for it, especially the 250gb version, oh the number of HD films, episodes I could stick on there would be great. Kickstand, good, HDMI out good. 512mb ram shouldnt really be an issue hopefully.

But dont be fooled into thinking that the Ipad 2 cant play every format going cause it can with XBMC. Just jailbreak it and stick that on and it can play every file, even 1080p high profile, the wife has got one and uses it to stream from the computer. Even transferring files is easy using Ifile instead of itunes, so there are solutions to some of the issues.

I think the biggest draw is that the appstore is brilliant whatever way you look at it, my 3 year old loves the Ipad and the kids apps that are there. I have the galaxy tab and the appstore for android is a joke, its really rubbish. Yeah it has the essentials but none of the great apps that are there for the Ipad.

iOS is a joke compared to Honeycomb. Honeycomb is the first time someone designs and optimizes an OS for a tablet, while iOS on iPad is just an upscaled version of a smartphone UI. ipad2 has 512MB RAM also. It's ridiculous that you have to jailbreak and loose warranty on your $499 device just to try to play some files that can't be stored locally, that can't be played over USB host and that can't be outputted to a HDTV using HDMI. Android Tablets can support all 200 thousand apps in the Marketplace cause all arre built for medium density. Before the end of the year more Android tablets will be sold each day than ipad, that also means that any buzz about tablet optimized medium density apps on iOS will be finished.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
tscotsman wrote:

iOS is a joke compared to Honeycomb. Honeycomb is the first time someone designs and optimizes an OS for a tablet, while iOS on iPad is just an upscaled version of a smartphone UI. ipad2 has 512MB RAM also. It's ridiculous that you have to jailbreak and loose warranty on your $499 device just to try to play some files that can't be stored locally, that can't be played over USB host and that can't be outputted to a HDTV using HDMI. Android Tablets can support all 200 thousand apps in the Marketplace cause all arre built for medium density. Before the end of the year more Android tablets will be sold each day than ipad, that also means that any buzz about tablet optimized medium density apps on iOS will be finished.

Sure, sure you can slam Apple alright, but does Android have a Steve Jobs?
That's all that matters, don't you know that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

xfirex wrote:
Sure, sure you can slam Apple alright, but does Android have a Steve Jobs?
That's all that matters, don't you know that?

Android doesn't need a guy who probably can't even program in HTML and who doesn't mind taking credit for the stupidity of big competitors and the work of his marketing and design teams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Oh, I fully agree, the bright side of the dominating Android phone sales will hopefully lead those owners to an Android tablet when they are ready to buy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

the biggest difference?
apple sell 14 million? ipad 2's a year, will archos sell half a million? unlikely.
apple advertise, when was the last time you saw an archos add on tv or in a magazine?
apple work out of the box, archos often don't.
IOS, do apple users care about it's limitations? probably not.

I've bought 2 archos devices, both were faulty.

The only apple product I would consider buying is a mac book pro (mainly because I'm fed up with windows getting slower every year, and having to run virus software that slows it down even more!) wouldn't touch an i pod or pad (no expandable memory), or phone (can't buy a spare battey).

I'm still waiting for a 5 to 5.5 inch tablet device, not interested in anything else.

marcel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

marcel - you'll need to run antivirus on OSX, too... I use both OSX (Lion) and Windows 7 on machines with 2.5Ghz Intel dual core processors, with 512MB dedicated graphics and 4 GB RAM (DDR3 on the Mac, DDR2 on the Windows machine) and the windows machine is considerably snappier than the Mac despite having far more software and "junk" installed on it. Despite, too, being three years old and never having been wiped and the OS/Software resinstalled vs the Mac which failed during the last OSX Snow Leopard update I attempted and had to be completely wiped and Lion installed for it to work (I opted to do this rather than use Time Machine, though that was handy for getting docs and email back).

The Mac vs Windows argument is old, tired, and long since a non-argument.

YMMV of course!

Regarding the 5" tablet you're waiting for, I noticed a (Gizmodo?) article this morning about the availabilty of the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi in England for the equivalent of $316 USD.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:37 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Update: the Samsung 4 and 5 inch tablets will be available in the US October 16.

4" for $229
5" for $269

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Those samsung players would be interesting if they had actual storage on there. 48 GB max makes them worthless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Brent212 wrote:
Those samsung players would be interesting if they had actual storage on there. 48 GB max makes them worthless.

I think that is a matter of preference. Those who have a lot of media, the Archos with 250GB hard drive is obviously better. But for those of use who have a little mp3 collection and only want to keep a few (non-HD) movies on them they are a good choice. I've been looking for a good 4-5 inch Android pmp to use more like a PDA. I purchased one of the 5 inche ones when woot.com had them. I have been using it the last couple days and it is exactly what I have been looking for. Runs smooth and stable and feels much better built than my Gen8 Archos 70. It has 8GB storage and I put in a 16GB sd card, I have my entire music collection on it and few movies on there. They play all the movie formats I have that my Archos played.
These devices are far from worthless.