Update: Problem fixed itself, I got froyo working.
Oh noes! the 22.22 firmware won't install on my 7ht! I follow the instruction here to the letter: http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-tablet/android-2-2-froyo-market-root-archos-7-ht-v2/
and everything goes normally (?) until the tablet restarts. Then, it says:
Android system recovery utility v1.3.28
Reboot system Now
Update from SDCARD
Update from uDisk
Recovery system v1.3.28
=== UPDATE ===
Finding and checking firmware...
E: Can't read (/flash/update/img)
(bad file number)
Of course there is no way to interact with this screen and I have to do a pinhole reset. I'm currently using Ubuntu 11.04 on my laptop. The tablet in plugged into the power connector the entire time. I put update.img on the sdcard, the easily user mounted part/8g, and it did not work. Restarted everything and booted everything up already connected and the Archos nor my laptop was able to mount the 8g sdcard (it says
"SD card removed. Insert a new one"
which would be impossible seeing that everything is sealed up inside) so I put update.img on the root section of the archos and the same thing happened. Same result with 22.21. I'm going to try the process in Windows 7.
Is the firmware from multiupload/megaupload/superpopupdownload bad (is there anyway this ROM can be hosted on a real
website)? Did I not follow simple instructions right? What's going on? Did P.C. Richards & Co sell me a bunx Archos?
Update: Windows 7 said the update.img file was corrupt and wouldn't even copy it to the Archos. I have gone to system settings to restore factory defaults and will try again with the fresh factory flavor.
Update: Still doesn't work. Although Windows was able to get the drivers initially, after I reset the devise it wasn't able to get the drivers. For some reason I can delete the update.img file from my laptop file manager and the Archos still thinks it's there. I was able to delete it using the file manager app on the Archos.
Update: Factory reset and attempted 22.22 and 22.21 update.img install with Ubuntu on the fresh clean tablet and it didn't work either. Making coffee and going to smoke a cigarette.
Update: Well, wonder of wonders, I re-tried the exact same thing that I did that didn't work, and for some reason I can't figure out, it did a thing and appears to have installed Froyo. I didn't do anything differently from the previous attempts, although I did redownload the update.img file a couple of times and maybe that was it. I calibrated the screen and it works now. Good job folks who made this ROM! The wireless seems to have improved.
TL;DR: If at first you don't succeed with community-based open source software, keep trying until it works.