Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A70 Screen Life
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm not very technical, and this may be an epically stupid question, but if I use my A70 as a nightstand alarm clock, and keep the LCD on all night (dimmed) and on charge for 8 hours on average every night, will the screen quality/life be affected in any way? My curiosity stems from the CRT failures I have experienced in the past. Would appreciate a response! :D

Post subject: Re: A70 Screen Life
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Most LCDs are good for ~7 Years straight of on time for the panel. It won't be the screen the goes. The most likely thing to die first, especially if it spends its life plugged in, is the battery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

oic0 wrote:
Most LCDs are good for ~7 Years straight of on time for the panel. It won't be the screen the goes. The most likely thing to die first, especially if it spends its life plugged in, is the battery.

I will agree with that statement. I have old pocket pc's that are still in very good working order, but the batteries can't hold a charge for more than 30 minutes. They basically need to be used off the charger, but that defeats their purpose :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 am 

oic0 wrote:

I question this. I have a whole stack of laptops whose backlight failed after moderate use. It costs a fortune to replace it. Sure the batteries were very weak by that time, but that hardly matters if you are talking plugged in almost all the time.

Why would you need a clock lcd on all night anyway - isn't there a setting for waking the lcd up from sleep ahead of wake time?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
Why would you need a clock lcd on all night anyway

Looks cooler 8)
I'm just kidding of course.
It's good to be able to tell the time without having to press the miniscule power button on the side.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'd just buy a $15 alarm clock to protect my Archos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Backlight failing is kind of like hard drive failing. Might last forever or a week. But if its weak and gonna die its gonna do it regardless of how you use it. No facts for that just some ancient still kickin scree s and drives as well as some moderate use dead ones. Course personal experience isn't a big enough data set.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:07 am 

oic0 wrote:
Backlight failing is kind of like hard drive failing. Might last forever or a week.

In a couple decades of owning laptops etc, the hard drives have never ever failed me. Other than the first 2 laptops, the rest (high end major brands) have inevitably marched toward backlight death in a pattern you can anticipate by dimming. I keep 2 cabled to a TV since their LCD is dead, and the one I type on now is dimming.

One of my goals for archos is to stretch out the life of my expensive laptop backlight by offloading video watching etc. I do use it as a bedtime radio with automatic sleep timers, and may even use it for a wakeup alarm. But I think or at least hope the backlight can be controlled by apps to blank out during the wee hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

And I have 5 or 6 dead drives but no dead backlights. #-o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:33 am 

furquanatique wrote:
viking wrote:
Why would you need a clock lcd on all night anyway

Looks cooler 8)
I'm just kidding of course.
It's good to be able to tell the time without having to press the miniscule power button on the side.

I am trying this after all, now that my a70 seems crippled. Beware of doing an android reset because the environment can't seem to be recreated even with XDA tools.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I believe Archos makes crappy products

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:52 pm 

I didn't mean the a70 can't normally survive an android reset... I have done that OK many times. I mean after this long successful life, the ability to regenerate the connection to google market after an android reset has seemed to evaporate.

Arctools has made their fix pay only, and the xda equivalent only connects me to a half working market. For some reason even my archived apps don't generally work right. I haven't bothered to diagnose this, only repurpose the reliable a70 hardware to a simple clock using it's front stereo speakers to play soft music.

The alarm clock failed this morning, apparently due to the (mortplayer) alarm app being kicked out of memory. This after it surprisingly worked while the device being asleep. I guess I have to leave it always on and maybe sacrifice the backlight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:31 pm 

Well, leaving it on killed my backlight, just as I feared. Also lost touch capability, probably from being always plugged in. An Asus android workstation also did the latter without hardly ever being turned on.