It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

20110216 Edit for AppsLib Version 2.0 Build 58... Allen
20110218 Edit for AppsLib Version 2.0 Build 66... Allen
20110220 Edit for Firmware 2.1.08... Allen

I posted this in the A101 forum Newbie Tip topic. A number of people liked it and viking suggested I post it here as a sticky. My setup may apply to the other Gen8s. I don't have a 28, 32 or 43 so I don't know for sure.

Here's the OP:

Aloha Y'all,

Update on 20 Feb. This writing is on 27 Jan. Since I started this topic on 24 Nov much has happened. We're now on Archos Android 2.2.1 FirmWare 2.1.08. Unofficially, we have the latest version of the Google Android Market (the Market). Via the Droid X we have a Flash Plugin for almost the same hardware as the Gen8s. We have a new AppsLib 2.0 Build 58 where we can get Archos approved Apps and purchase Apps.

I regard Android Tablet PCs as a work in progress. Archos has been a leader in no-man's land as there still is no official Android Tablet OS from Google. Archos Android "Tablets" still don't officially have the Market.

Some Apps, like Aldiko, have versions written specifically for Archos tablets. Officially these Apps reside in the Archos AppsLib. Archos provides bundled Third Party Apps out of the box and with each FirmWare update.

Android 2.2.1 on the Archos Gen8s is still kludgey for memory management since the Gen8s only have 256M of RAM - IMO should be at least 512M.

Below I'll describe my method to get a base Archos Android system running on the A101. I've used this on both my A70S and my A101. The images are from my A70S but the setup is the same on my A101.

There are many ways to get the A101 configured to a "base" setup. Mine is just one and I make no claim to be an "expert". If you are going to follow my setup I recommend you read this entire post several times. My base setup objectives:
1. Initial Charge, Startup Wizard and Tablet Registry
2. Update to FW (FirmWare) 2.1.08
3. Update to AppsLib 2.0 Build 66, if required
4. Install the Market
5. Install Flash Plugin
6. Install additional Utility Apps
7. Backup all your Apps using AppMonster
8. Backup your A101 to your traditional PC (tPC)
9. YouTube Fix
10. Backup new Apps with AppMonster

1. Initial Charge, Install and Tablet Registry
After opening the box:
1. Read the included User Guide cover to cover - It's very short. A long User Manual is included on your A101 and at the Archos Website.
2. On pg 3 follow Charging the Battery and Startup Wizard sections - Be sure to configure WiFi and don't continue until you have connected WiFi.. Install the Optional Third Party Applications.
3. Stop and take a break - You deserve it
4. Register your A101 from your traditional PC - Go to the Archos.com Registration web page:
    - If you don't have an Archos account Register a new one
    - If you do have an Archos account Logon
    - Add your A101
    Note: This information is used to create your User Account for AppsLib

2. Update to FW (FirmWare) 2.1.08
1. On your traditional PC create a folder for your Archos Gen8 A101 FW
2. Download FW 2.1.08 to that folder from the Archos Download web page after selecting the Gen8s
Note: Saving the FW to your traditional PC (tPC) allows you to reinstall it if required without downloading it again. If you install from the Update message on your A101 you might not find the firmware update file. I save each firmware update in its own folder on my tPC along with the FW Change Log
3. Attach your A101 to your tPC and copy the 2.1.08 FW file to the root of your A101
4. Detach your A101 from your tPC
5. Attach your A101 to power
6. Reboot your A101
Note: your A101 should find the FW file and start the update.
7. Complete the Startup Wizard with Third Party Applications install.
8. Take a break - you're at the latest Archos FW - 2.1.08

3. Update to AppsLib 2.0 Build 66, if required
To determine your AppsLib version:
    1. Settings:Applications>Manage applications
    2. Find and select AppsLib
    3. In Application info under "AppsLib" is the version
    4. If the version is earlier than version 2.0 (build 66) then update Appslib
    5. If not then skip this step
On your tPC go to AppsLib.com:
1. Create an AppsLib folder in your Archos/Gen8/ directory
2. DL AppsLib 2.0 Build 66 from AppsLib.com to the AppsLib folder - The file should be Appslib_2.apk
3. Attach your A101 to your PC
4. Follow the Install/Update instructions on the Download web page

Note1: If AppsLib Force Closes then Settings:Applications>Manage Applications>Appslib>Clear data
Note2: If AppsLib asks for User Account information give it the same email and password you gave for registering your A101 in step 1.

5. Take a break - You've got the latest AppsLib with free Apps, Archos approved Apps, and Apps you can purchase.
Note: Aldiko from AppsLib is the only version of Aldiko I run on the A70 as it is a special Archos build. Aldiko from the Google Market runs on the A101.

4. Install the Market
Install the Market (the Google Android Market) from kenyu73's gAppsInstall topic at the XDA Developers Forum.

I saved kenyu73's files on my tPC in the Archos/Gen8/Market/ folder.

Note: Before you install the Market it is wise to establish a Gmail account since this is the account you need to set up the Market.

5. Install Flash Plugin
Until Archos can release its Adobe certified Flash Plugin the most compatible Flash Plugin I know is the one for the Droid X. You can DL this: Here.

Again I DLed this to my tPC in the Archos/Gen8/Flash/DroidX/ folder.
Copy this to your A101 and using Files install it

6. Install additional Utility Apps
At this stage I've Reorganized my Home Screens and set up a Utilities folder on the default Home Screen:

Next I install three additional utilities I've found useful from my prior Archos Android experience and created shortcuts to them in the Utilities Folder on my default Home Screen:

1. Free Advanced Task Manager 5.2 by Arron La - IMO Archos Android 2.2.1 in FW 2.0.71 still has poor task management with only 256M. So I installed ATM with its "Press to End" shortcut - just in case. I exclude only Advanced Live Wallpaper from being closed.

You can download the free version: Here.

2. ES File Explorer 1.4.8.6 by EStrongs, Inc - Use like "Files" App - nice copy facilities. I use the "Show Tabs" setting and copy files back and forth between my tPCs on my Lan and my Archos Android "Tablets".

3. AppMonster 0.79 by Think Android - Backup, Uninstall and Reinstall your Apps. Saves the files in root:appmanager/. Saves the version number in the backup file name so you can return to a prior backup.

7. Backup all your Apps using AppMonster
    1. Open AppMonster and go into its Menu
    2. Select Backup
    3. Select "Replace All" to backup all your Apps

8. Backup your A101 to your traditional PC (tPC)
Currently I don't have a better way so I backup my A101 to my tPC by connecting my A101 to my tPC and copying all the files on Internal Storage to the folder:
    Archos/Gen8/A101/Archives/Archive01/Internal Storage/

When I added an SD Card I backed it up to:
    Archos/Gen8/A101/Archives/Archive01/SD Card/

With each backup I increment the Archive number: Archive01, Archive02,...,Archivenn

9. YouTube Fix
At this stage I've got my base A101 configuration. However YouTube crashed for me. So I opened the Market and DLed and re-installed YouTube. This fixed the problem.

10. Backup new Apps with AppMonster
Immediately after I install a new App, or update an App, I use AppMonster to back it up.

Like I said above there are many "right" ways to set up a base configuration for the A101. This is mine. I'm sure I will make changes to it as time goes on.

Note: If you are going to follow my setup I recommend you read this entire post several times.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the detailed writeup. My 250gb comes in tomorrow, and I am anxiously awaiting it. I plan on following this closely and love the detail. I do have one newbie question. What exactly does copying a file to the "root" of the device mean. I have seen this mentioned in a lot of places, and know it has to do with putting it in the system memory and not the internal "SD" memory, but is there a specific file? Thanks for the help again, this forum has been very useful.

-EDIT-
Finish reading, one more question. Once you back up the apps in AppMonster and save to you PC, can you delete the backups from the system folder? I imagine they take up a moderate amount of system memory and do not imagine they serve a function. Will this hurt anything?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 am 

11. Don't panic if your archos ever freezes up. Your pc can bring up a web userguide with emergency reboot procedures in http://www.archos.com/support/support_t ... us&lang=en . I believe that manual gets removed from your archos in this update process, but it and most of the original files are retrievable from ftp://support.archos.com .

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
4. Install the Market
Install the Market (the Google Android Market) from kenyu73's gAppsInstall topic at the XDA Developers Forum.

I saved kenyu73's files on my tPC in the Archos/Gen8/Market/ folder.

A) Also backup a copy of the xda directions in case you need to reinstall and that link can't be found.

B) Many folks find you have to do the "Market Fix" procedure twice (weird steps within settings/applications) to get the last 20% or so of market apps (maybe that is why Allen sees a problem with youtube, but not everyone).

C) Kenyu lists an android reset towards the end, but don't do it there. It is a footnote fleshing out the optional first step.

P.S. to previous poster: root is the highest level directory which others branch off from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

viking wrote:
B) Many folks find you have to do the "Market Fix" procedure twice (weird steps within settings/applications) to get the last 20% or so of market apps (maybe that is why Allen sees a problem with youtube, but not everyone).

Yep, I had to do it twice. First time I got only 202 responses to a search for ADW, second time I got 208, including the app itself, missing from the first search.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nice post. A recommendation: Consider discussing .nomedia (perhaps via studiokuma) setup. Seems to be a frequently discussed issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

gte105u wrote:
Thanks for the detailed writeup. My 250gb comes in tomorrow, and I am anxiously awaiting it. I plan on following this closely and love the detail. I do have one newbie question. What exactly does copying a file to the "root" of the device mean. I have seen this mentioned in a lot of places, and know it has to do with putting it in the system memory and not the internal "SD" memory, but is there a specific file? Thanks for the help again, this forum has been very useful.

-EDIT-
Finish reading, one more question. Once you back up the apps in AppMonster and save to you PC, can you delete the backups from the system folder? I imagine they take up a moderate amount of system memory and do not imagine they serve a function. Will this hurt anything?

Root:
Both a relative and absolute term. Root as I used it means:
1. Open Files App
2. Scroll down "Internal"
3. All Folders and Files you see are in the Root of Internal
Note: Internal is the short form for Internal Storage

Deleting Apps:
There are no backups in the system folder. The system folder is not a folder Archos intends for User access. AppMonster allow you as the User of an unrooted tablet to backup, uninstall, and install backed up Apps. There are a number of Apps which do this. I just got used to AppMonster.

AppMonster saves the version number in the backup file name. This means if you upgraded an App and later want to go back to the prior version you can uninstall the App and using the Files App you can reinstall the prior version from the Internal:appmanager/ root folder.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

very nice! Thanks for the write-up Allen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

frank wrote:
Nice post. A recommendation: Consider discussing .nomedia (perhaps via studiokuma) setup. Seems to be a frequently discussed issue.

I did consider and didn't put it in because the intent of my post was just a "base setup".

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Allen, i don't get how to fix youtube O.o
if i try to install youtube via the market, the market tells me that the downloaded apk is not signed well.
can you explain it better?
all the other google apps are working well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Don't know... I've never run across that... Sorry...

Anyone?

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Typing in you tube in market search got me a version of you tube that would not install.Scrolling revealed "full you tube" this installed and finally youtube working as well as on laptop. Probably can search for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ambrowill wrote:
Typing in you tube in market search got me a version of you tube that would not install.Scrolling revealed "full you tube" this installed and finally youtube working as well as on laptop. Probably can search for it.

"full youtube" it's just a launcher for youtube |:
videos are soo low def (280p)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How would I know; the other version on A70 or on Market would not work at all. And I am a noobie to archoid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:31 am 

With great trepidation I will try some late-stage-newbie advice. Not to be done always or right away, but on the other hand these examples should address the most core glaring issues that newbies will probably see, at least with current firmware. This isn't meant to be an invitation for the bazillion would-be-nice suggestions, but rather reassurance that there are alternatives for the likely biggest emerging issues.

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
1. Free Advanced Task Manager 5.2 by Arron La - IMO Archos Android 2.2.1 in FW 2.0.71 still has poor task management with only 256M. So I installed ATM with its "Press to End" shortcut - just in case.

A. Automatic Memory Manager (both generically and the literal tool) Not sure if the above can do it automatically, but this type of thing continually cleans out our small amount of memory either more or less aggressively than native android. It's a tradeoff, not a panacea. Currently you get lags at certain task switching while it looks for memory. AMM on aggressive settings will keep more memory free by ruthlessly killing apps that look unimportant, making lags rarer but longer and more disruptive. It can make your main task fly faster then using the power overdrive setting for some reason. Mild settings probably kills fewer innocent apps and evens out the lag periods, but makes them more frequent. The point is it can be automated. Let's not digress here into the umpteen ways this can be diagnosed and responded to manually or the umpteen apps that can substitute for slower ones.

B. Settings (the app for this, or under apps like browser) Developers have a knack for setting quirky defaults, often to your disadvantage and to reduce support calls. I would scour the many layers of settings for klunkers. Do not tweak things whimsically or experimentally yet because that can wreak havoc, but catch those obviously idiotic things that just don't fit your idea of security for instance. I would also do this within the default browser where hidden layers of settings will, for instance, save your passwords so that anybody can impersonate you by picking up the device, or on the other hand turn off juicy plugins.

C. Media Scanning (with or without current firmware bug) You may notice a lot of time taken to scan for media files, and in some cases a bug might clobber some of those found on an sdcard. Also you may just not like the junk it dredges up that are part of some package and not intended to be standalong playable files. A solution for both is to post a file with the special name .nomedia in any directory you want to exclude from such scans. Doing this can be tricky because the leading dot means special hidden file. I create a file with arbitrary contents and name, then put it into a directory and rename to .nomedia in place by an archos files app long press. I often name the directory nomedia to remind me that the now-hidden file is there.

There are other approaches that I don't feel need dwelling on here - this is just a heads up, and chit-chat about it probably belongs in new topics so as to keep this one concise. But do criticize here if I got it wrong or really suboptimal...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

viking wrote:
A) Also backup a copy of the xda directions in case you need to reinstall and that link can't be found.

If you are using Firefox, I highly recommend an extension called Scrapbook. You can save web pages to your hard drive--it will even drill down into embedded links to any level you choose. It's perfect for this type of situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted to thank Allan for his outstanding how-to guide so here goes. I just received my 101 yesterday (after a long journey - ordered in October - from Canada to Costa Rica where I live). I set it up this morning beginning at 2:30 am - yes, I set my alarm for 8 hours after I first plugged it in to charge. After going through Allan's steps everything went smoothly and all is working perfectly including Wifi access, UPnP, the Market, You Tube, speakers, charging, etc. I just want to encourage other new users to just follow Allan's steps to get the unit going and then have fun - none of this is as complicated with the unit in hand as it seems when only reading about it. Thank you Allan!!!

One thing that I have noticed, however, is that the Android system has a steep learning curve. After 12 hours or so I am still getting (very) lost. It is a strange feeling to know I have a great device that can do so much without really being sure exactly how to get there.

2 questions that I would appreciate anyone's input on:
1) I downloaded Zeam, works great but I cannot find out how to set as the default launcer. Every time I do anything I am asked which launcher I want to use, stock or Zeam. How do I set Zeam as the default launcer? I cannot find the answer in any posts.
2) I am only seeing free apps (no Swiftkey, etc) after installing gapps-version5-final. I have done the market fix many times. After reading a Google forum (and another post here about the Kindle app) it appears that paid (and other) apps are only available in certain countries (Costa Rica is apparently not one of them). Can someone confirm that paid apps are not available outside the US and Europe.

Thanks again Allan for all your help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When u first startup your 101, it will ask you whether to use default launcher or Zeam. Click Zeam and remember to check the 'Default' at the last row of the menu. That will do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:34 am 

nochedelmono wrote:
One thing that I have noticed, however, is that the Android system has a steep learning curve. After 12 hours or so I am still getting (very) lost

The last major missing piece of my FAQ that was set adrift was Froyo user guide (ignore the phone parts)
http://static.googleusercontent.com/ext ... sGuide.pdf

P.S. I discovered why this and other things can be hard to search for with the box in the upper left - that search does not recognize additions due to editing a post. Some threads have their highlights edited into first post for reference. I realize there is a google search in upper right, but that doesn't sort by date or some key drawback like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just received new 70it. Can't register with Archos w/o serial # and can't find it on rear of device as stated in registration instructions. Am I missing something? Thx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jlr951 wrote:
Just received new 70it. Can't register with Archos w/o serial # and can't find it on rear of device as stated in registration instructions. Am I missing something? Thx

Look under the kickstand...