Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the 4GB might become the best selling 605 WiFi especially because of the $199/199Ôé¼ price. I think it's actually the exact same size as the 30GB 605 WiFi, and the only difference is that it's 40gr lighter and has a SD card slot.

As for providing modules through the SD card like Bluetooth or something else, it depends if any future firmware will add such drivers and functionalities. I think that modules using the proprietary port or the USB connection of the Mini Dock and Battery Dock might make more sense then adding SDIO adaptor functionalities.

Although some little SDIO camera, bluetooth or HSDPA modules would be nice:

I think that the slot is on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

WOW!!! Thanks Charbax for pictures of all those sd card "gizmos!" .............. there were a few which I didnt even know existed!! As you say it might be very unlikely if any/many will work with the 605 but who knows!!????

The more I think about the 605 options the more I reckon that the 4gb is the one for me. Cant wait to see detailed reviews and pictures when someone gets their hands on a real one!! When they start shipping to uk I'll be one of the first in the queue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Amazon have the 405 2gig flash version showing in stock. The description states up to 16gb SD card capable. Surely if this is SDHC then it will take the 32GB max?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCHOS-405-GB-M ... 078&sr=8-4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:48 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

shirleywhite wrote:
I'm still hoping the the 605 treats any card in the sd slot just as "increasing the internal memory"?

Final small question ........... wonder exactly where the slot is? Top? Side? or what? I'm willing to bet that most cases for 605 wont allow access and i'm guessing that cases specifically for the 4gb wont be made cos of the (comparatively) lowish volumes sold!!

I have a 405 with 4gb sdhc card. It does and it doesnt treat the card as just increasing the internal memory. When you go into the video section videos on the sd card are not shown, you have to go into the sd card folder to see them. The same for music in browse mode. Music on sd card and internal memory is however shown together in arclibrary mode.
When you use browse mode to play a track stored on sd card and set playmode to shuffle all, it will play music from sd and internal.
I'm guessing the 605 4gb will be the same.
The sd slot is on the top right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

toadsurfer wrote:
shirleywhite wrote:
I'm still hoping the the 605 treats any card in the sd slot just as "increasing the internal memory"?

Final small question ........... wonder exactly where the slot is? Top? Side? or what? I'm willing to bet that most cases for 605 wont allow access and i'm guessing that cases specifically for the 4gb wont be made cos of the (comparatively) lowish volumes sold!!

I have a 405 with 4gb sdhc card. It does and it doesnt treat the card as just increasing the internal memory. When you go into the video section videos on the sd card are not shown, you have to go into the sd card folder to see them. The same for music in browse mode. Music on sd card and internal memory is however shown together in arclibrary mode.
When you use browse mode to play a track stored on sd card and set playmode to shuffle all, it will play music from sd and internal.
I'm guessing the 605 4gb will be the same.
The sd slot is on the top right

Man it is looking like I won't be getting the 4 GB version after all. I mean 2 places to browse for videos/movies. Why couldn't they somehow integrate the internal memory and SD videos together so that when I go into the video folder (like on the 604 WiFi), I can just see all the videos/movies that are on the machine and card? Forgive my ignorance but could you tell me what you mean by "arclibrary mode"? If the 4 GB version does support future expansion modules like the ones mentioned by Charbax, I will believe it when I actually see it, my fatih will be restored and I will definately pick one up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Sorry, what i meant by arclibrary mode was that when you search by artist or album it brings up all songs irrespective of whether they are stored on internal memory or sd card. When you are not using the search by artist, album, year etc and just browsing hard drive you must go into sd folder to see songs. Is not a hassle tho as is only one extra click!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi Toadsurfer

Thanks for the info re the 405 and sd cards. I think you are probably correct that the 605 4gb will tend to behave in a similar fashion. To be honest for me personally any slight glitches re browsing etc wont be such a huge problem - I'm intending to use the machine with just a couple of vids and a few music albums for the odd short business trip. So I think i'll be happy to "press a few extra buttons"(??LOL) What would be more annoying would be to have to copy a file from sd card to machine memory before use?!

Any further info/news re the 4gb flash version would be much appreciated!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:20 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

yep one or two button presses is all that's involved. No copying from card to player - plays straight from sd card.
However my 405 has just died. This is the 2nd 405 i've had - neither lasted more than 24 hours. Can't help but feel my reward for being an early purchaser is to be treated as a beta tester. Both players have been glitchy and ultimately faulty.
Think this could be the end of my Archos days - in two years I have owned 5 archos players and three have been faulty. They're great when you get a good one but am not sure I can be bothered anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

shirleywhite wrote:
Hi Toadsurfer

Any further info/news re the 4gb flash version would be much appreciated!!!

I am in total agreement with shirleywhite. I would like more info about the 4 Gb flash version. Toadsurfer, I believe the 405 has a mini USB port. If that is correct then would you mind telling me what Archos allows you to do with it? Can you charge the Archos through this port? What about transferring data? Your responses/info is certainly appreciated, especially by me !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Yep the usb port allows charging and transfer of all types of data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:18 am 
Archos User
Archos User

toadsurfer wrote:

You are talking about the MINI USB port right? I don't want to have to lug around the proprietary cable that connects to the proprietary ports (like the 604 WiFi). You see I have an external battery pack that currently charges my cell phone through the mini usb port and I want to be able to do the same thing with the new 605 flash product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:05 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

JWishbone wrote:
toadsurfer wrote:

You are talking about the MINI USB port right? I don't want to have to lug around the proprietary cable that connects to the proprietary ports (like the 604 WiFi). You see I have an external battery pack that currently charges my cell phone through the mini usb port and I want to be able to do the same thing with the new 605 flash product.

According to the tech specs in the 405/605 manual this mini usb port is not fitted to any of the 605 models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

soapy wrote:
JWishbone wrote:
toadsurfer wrote:

According to the tech specs in the 405/605 manual this mini usb port is not fitted to any of the 605 models.
This is true and early photos confirmed this months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Fascinating this news: 'Toshiba bumping SDHC cards to 32GB'

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-976472 ... =nefd.only

Very important that in the near future (january 2008) it will be possible to have the 605 wifi Flash version with 36GB (32GB + 4GB internal) of memory.

It will be more expensive that the 605 wifi 30GB but nothing is perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

honeymonkey wrote:
soapy wrote:
JWishbone wrote:
toadsurfer wrote:

This is true and early photos confirmed this months ago.

Now I am truly confused. Soapy says that "mini usb port is not fitted to any of the 605 models" yet honeymonkey in this post, THIS FORUM NEEDS YOUR HELP!! says that the 605 does indeed have a mini USB port. Someone please give me a definitive answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The Archos 605 does NOT have a standard mini-USB port on it. It has two ports below and one of them connects to the included PROPRIETARY USB cable.

However if you buy the Mini Dock, the Battery Dock, the DVR Station or whatever other dock it comes with a standard mini-USB port to connect to the PC and they also have a USB Host port to connect external storage or digital cameras.

Hope this clarifies it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I believe (from what I've read, I don't have either of these) that the non-hard drive models with the SD card slot (605 4GB and 405 4GB models) DO have a mini USB socket on them - but ONLY these two models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:21 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This confusion re whether the 605 4gb will/wont have a mini-usb socket actually built into the machine itself reminds me of the confusion which surrounded the 05 series as to whether they would charge via a usb power lead running from a usb (wall) power adaptor. If I remember correctly there was the added complication of different firmwares allowing different behaviour too!!

Obviously here we are talking about a simple fact I guess - but maybe we all need to wait till one or two of us gets an actual model in our hands - I look forward to a real "hands on" review ( with pictures hopefully). I'm almost certainly going to get one as soon as they appear in the uk - i'll try and give some first impressions etc as soon as I can!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Here it is! (look on the bottom between the thumb and the lower right hand corner of the 405.) I still use the miniUSB socket on my two AV420's, no idea why they left them off all the Gen 4's and some of the Gen 5's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andy W wrote:
Here it is! (look on the bottom between the thumb and the lower right hand corner of the 405.) I still use the miniUSB socket on my two AV420's, no idea why they left them off all the Gen 4's and some of the Gen 5's.

Yes, there's no disputing that the 405 has a mini usb B port.
However,where is the evidence that the 605 flash model has a similar mini usb port? Can you produce a photo of this or can you tell me where you
read that it does have a mini usb port.
The 405/605 manual [p.76] makes reference to the 405 having a usb 2.0 port
but it does not show the 605 models,flash included,having a similar port.
Until anyone gives me proof to the contrary, iam taking that the mini usb port
is not a feature of the 605 flash.