Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi!

I am thinking of buying the Archos 9 instead of an iPad because for me (already iPhone-user) would be important the Windows OS and USB connectivity. And of course the lower pricing ;-)
I would like to use the Archos as a eBook-Reader - is this working fine?
Is it possible to zoom in and out using fingers in pdf documents and websites - like I can do it on the iPhone?
How is office working on it? Rather slow or fine?

I don't want to buy another Win7 license so I hope that Win7 starter is working acceptably.

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Christoph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I used to work in the back of A320s for a charter airline... Brings back memories. Crazy what happened to that Quantas A380 recently.
We had a scare when an engine cowl came off one of our B757s on take-off. Apparently one of the latches experienced structural failure. The engineer who serviced the aircraft almost had a heart attack, because initial speculation was that it wasn't secured properly.

On to your questions:

Can it be used as an eBook Reader?

I purchased the Archos 9 to use as a handheld web-browing device in wifi connected areas, as well as a reader for pdf manuals and such. I find the 8.9" 1024x600 widescreen the right size when used in portrait full-page layout in Adobe Reader for novellas. I rotate the document inside Adobe to avoid any mouse tracking issues (using screen rotation on the graphics driver seems to throw the mouse driver for a loop). Adobe can be set to use left/right key to next/previous page, and that his how I navigate.

Kindle for PC does not have a portrait setting that I can find. I do not like reading documents/books in standard widescreen layout, as it requires too much scrolling. I would not advise using it in this fashion.

The screen resolution/quality is okay for a backlit lcd device. The resistive touch screen layer in front does make things a appear a little less sharp. It will not resemble in any way an actual ebook like the Kindle or other eInk device. When reading, I usually turn the screen brightness down to reduce eye-strain. This can be easily done using the 'keyboard' key and the left/right mouse keys.

At 800 grams, it is a bit heavy to hold one handed for any length of time. I have found it awkward to hold in it's normal widescreen position. Because I am left handed, I grip it on the top right corner. This tends to place my thumb right over the power button! If I am simply reading, I tend to hold it in the middle of the bottom of the unit, thumb in front, the A9 resting on my palm and outstretched fingers behind. Holding it in portrait mode is a little easier.

Right-handed users that hold the device with their left hand have commented that the area in the top left gets quite warm. The A9 uses passive cooling only. I appreciate how silent it is, and how slim the device is, but the heat can be uncomfortable. Don't ever lay it flat on a blanket or such: You might overheat the device!

Can I zoom in and out using fingers?

No. The touchscreen is single input resistive only. Because it is single-touch, pinching does not work.

Resistive technology is better suited for stylus (or fingernail) input, and trying to finger input like one does on a capacitive screen (like the iphone) tends to confuse the device because the finger tip has activated a very large area of the screen. Resistive screens prefer to get a single point of data (resolution can be as good as one pixel!). Resistive screens shine for handwriting recognition. Unfortunately, Windows 7 Starter does not have handwriting recognition. You would have to upgrade the Windows license to get this feature.

If you have ever used an older Pocket PC (I used to have an HP Jornada). You will get an idea of what you can do. Touch to select. Double-tap to activate. Press and hold for 'right-mouse button'.

If you do decide to upgrade the Windows license, you can also enable a feature called 'flicks', which can be used to navigate (swipe up and screen will scroll, etc.).

How does office work on it?

Because it runs a full Windows OS, you will have as much functionality as your home PC.

However, because it was specced almost two years ago, the processor is slower than what is currently available in comparably priced laptops/netbooks, and the 1GB memory is physically limited (cannot upgrade, as it is soldered into the mainboard). If you have ever used an Intel Centrino laptop, that is what it feels like to me. Start up of any application is agonizingly slow because of all the background processes Windows loads, but once everything is in place, it is as responsive as a PC would be given the hardware specifications.

I need to send my unit in to have the screen looked at (http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40244). After it has been returned to me, I plan to experiment with a high speed USB key (class 6 flash device) to see if it will improve loading performance (reference: readyboost).

Elsewhere in this forum, someone has replaced their HD with an SSD (basically, a really large flash device). While it greatly improves the speed of the device, in my opinion, at the cost of the SSD, it sort of defeats the low cost aspect of purchasing the A9.

Do not expect near instantaneous response to input like on an iphone.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Many thanks for your extended explanations!
Really interesting that you work in airline business - I have a A320 homecockpit and this is the reason for my nickname. Hope they will solve the engines problems on the A380 soon - I have watched some of these giants in Dubai tow weeks ago and it was awesome.

I have ordered the Archos 9 already and I think it will be the right decision. First I thought it has to be an iPad but I have changed my mind.
Probably I will upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium to have all the touch features available.

Best regards!
Christoph

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have àn Archos 9 and i have à iPad, i USD iPad 95% and Archos 5%

Much taster THE iPad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have an iPad and an A9. I use them both at the same time a lot, but use the A9 more. Probably selling the iPad after I get my A101. Keeping the A9.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
I have an iPad and an A9. I use them both at the same time a lot, but use the A9 more. Probably selling the iPad after I get my A101. Keeping the A9.

Allen

Is the Ipad really that bad?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I wouldn't say "bad". I say "limited". Very limited compared to Android and Win7 tablets.

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:39 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
    I wouldn't say "bad". I say "limited". Very limited compared to Android and Win7 tablets.

Allen

I really like apple's design, but something is preventing me from buying any Apple products.
    I think if Apple support adobe flash on there devices they would be way more better then they are right now, and apple should also support more games and software that's now only availble for windows.
    I have thought about buying an Ipad instead of my Archos 9 but when I look at productivity the A9 kills the Ipad, cuz you can run almost all apps you run on an normal desktop pc.
    Maybe they update the Archos 9 with an better processor and some more RAM memory.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:03 pm 
    Archos Guru
    Archos Guru

Hi BAAAASJE,

Consider this when you ponder buying an iPad or iPod touch:

The iOS file system is application oriented which means if you have two video players on an iOS device then you must have two copies of the same video file - one for each application.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am 
    Archos User
    Archos User

Would it be possible to run Android on Archos 9?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 pm 
    Archos Expert
    Archos Expert

Papo wrote:
    Would it be possible to run Android on Archos 9?

Yes it is possible, but don't ask me how to install android on it ^^