Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Anybody figured out how to install the ADB driver for the Archos 32IT? There's no mentioning yet in the archos download section. I have put in a request with archos, but was hoping for a faster answer here...
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:11 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

hamsterhunter wrote:
Anybody figured out how to install the ADB driver for the Archos 32IT? There's no mentioning yet in the archos download section. I have put in a request with archos, but was hoping for a faster answer here...
Thanks!

Google finally managed to introduce a configuration file for ADB, so you do not need to recompile if you want to use it with other but the built-in VIDs. For Archos devices you need to

Code:
echo "0x0e79" >~/.android/adb_usb.ini

or on Windows:

Code:
echo 0x0e79 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"

Then you can use the adb that comes with the R3 or R4 SDK (or probably also the one that is in current SVN trunk). Remember to "sudo killall adb" to get rid of all already running ADB servers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i use the same of Archos 5IT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the fast replies!

What I did, before seeing any of the replies, was to adjust the driver files for the 5IT; basically changing the PID to 1411. Works fine.

cajl wrote:
i use the same of Archos 5IT

I didn't dare to test the 5IT files as is, but the method mentioned by nz implies that it would work fine, all they do is change the Vendor ID. I guess my effort to adjust the PID was an overkill.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nz wrote:
hamsterhunter wrote:
Thanks!

...or on Windows:

Code:

Then you can use the adb that comes with the R3 or R4 SDK (or probably also the one that is in current SVN trunk). Remember to "sudo killall adb" to get rid of all already running ADB servers.

For a developer newbie such as myself, can you explain exactly where this is entered? I assume everything from echo 0x0... to the end need to be entered into some tool that comes with the Android SDK, correct?

Also, for the sudo killall adb command, do I need to be telnetted into my device?

I have SDK for 1.6, 2.1-update1, and 2.2 installed, which I assume meets the R3 and R4 SDK requirement. Looks like there are multiple revisions of each API number.

All I wish to do is be able to easily take a screenshot from my PC. I have the SDK installed, but I just got an ARCHOS 32 and have not tried connecting it for development yet. I have installed and gotten the SDK running apps in the simulator, though.

Thanks for helping the new guy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am having the same problem for the 70, can anyone help me out?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:40 am 
Archos User
Archos User

kbrick wrote:
nz wrote:
hamsterhunter wrote:
Thanks!

...or on Windows:

Code:

For a developer newbie such as myself, can you explain exactly where this is entered? I assume everything from echo 0x0... to the end need to be entered into some tool that comes with the Android SDK, correct?

Also, for the sudo killall adb command, do I need to be telnetted into my device?

I have SDK for 1.6, 2.1-update1, and 2.2 installed, which I assume meets the R3 and R4 SDK requirement. Looks like there are multiple revisions of each API number.

All I wish to do is be able to easily take a screenshot from my PC. I have the SDK installed, but I just got an ARCHOS 32 and have not tried connecting it for development yet. I have installed and gotten the SDK running apps in the simulator, though.

Thanks for helping the new guy!

I have not been able to test the above yet because i have not got my Archos device yet, so i might not be the right one to answer, but i understand the command to add the vendor to the ini file which "Nz" writes below.
You write the command in the shell (Linux) or in the command promt (Windows).

So upen up a command prompt in Windows and just paste the code nz writes and hit enter.

The file adb_usb.ini is located in the .android folder which is created after following the instructions for setting up the sdk.
It contains rows for different vendors. In mine there is no vendor added as default

Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.

so just open up a command prompt and enter the text
Code:

And Archos is added as a vendor. Then the file will look like this:
Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x0e79

Then follow the rest of the instructions to test the connection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So has anyone had any luck with the 70 with ADB?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here's what I did and I successfully connected with Eclipse and the adb.

Download the driver for the 5 Internet Tablet

Open the android_usb.inf and find the line that reads:

%USB\VID_0E79&PID_1361.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1361

After that line, paste this line

%USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01.DeviceDescRelease%=androidusb.Dev,USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01

At the end of the [Strings] section add this line

USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01.DeviceDescRelease="Archos32"

I'm sure this same procedure will work for the other Gen 8 tablets if you look at the PID in Device Manager of the Unknown device and substitute that in place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Dont know if you got it to work? But now when i got my A70 i wanted to try to install my own apps from Eclipse development environment and it worked like a charm without using any other drivers than the one supplied in the Android sdk.

What i did is firstly i followed Hairfainx tip of enabling the drivers in thread http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=41755&p=284338

Harfainx wrote:
To get the drivers working with Win7 (both 32 and 64-bit) simply navigate to your adb folder.

Go to usb_driver folder

Open android_winusb.inf in notepad.

Just ABOVE the line that says [Google.NTamd64], add these lines:

Code:
;Archos 70
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01

Then just ABOVE the line that says [USB_Install], add these lines:

Code:
;Archos 70
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01

Then plug your 70 with ADB debugging enabled into your USB port. When it asks for drivers, point it in the direction of that file.

Enjoy your newly ADB enabled A70!

Then i modified the ".android/adb_usb.ini" file as nz wrote above to be able to use the A70 with adb/Eclipse.

nz wrote:
Google finally managed to introduce a configuration file for ADB, so you do not need to recompile if you want to use it with other but the built-in VIDs. For Archos devices you need to

Code:
echo "0x0e79" >~/.android/adb_usb.ini

or on Windows:

Code:

Then i used "adb devices" in the console and my A70 was listed

So i tried the connection by running a simple Hello World example in Eclipse and it was installed and run on my A70 without any changes in Eclipse.