Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 am
Posts: 847
Location: Saint Lucia, Caribbean GMT -4
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/arch ... s-we-go-h/

A5A to be replaced by 43 :(
43 resistive screen.

_________________
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1


Last edited by zandoli on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
From Engadget:
Quote:
The .35-inch thick Archos 43 will eventually replace the Archos 5, and given that it's slimmer and more powerful, we don't see too many arguing about that.

Clearly they haven't read these forums... ;)

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 am
Posts: 847
Location: Saint Lucia, Caribbean GMT -4
Chuckled when I heard her say that ;)

_________________
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:37 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:56 pm
Posts: 22
I am very disappointed with Archos. The 10-incher might be something to try but since i already have an iPad i probably wont buy one.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:48 pm 
Offline
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:15 am
Posts: 35
Did I hear her right...the 43It has a resistive touch screen?


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:49 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:41 pm
Posts: 573
I like the A43 a lot. And from that Engadget video it seems to have a nice screen, certainly nicer than the bigger ones.

But I would prefer a 5" model with HDD storage. Actually i wanted Archos to return to 1.8" HDDs, just preferred that mixture of capacity and form-factor.

_________________
Owner of: A5IT,A5IMT,605wifi,AV500


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:50 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
The real problem with that 10.1" model is that for a few more dollars, you'll be able to get a tablet that's a lot more feature complete for Android. And with a Tegra2 chipset, there goes Archos' multimedia advantage. This is a strategic marketing nightmare and a product line mostly designed by accountants.

Oh well, I believe I've exceeded my b*tching quotient for the week and it's only Tuesday! Time to go back to lighting candles and leave the darkness cursing to others for a bit... :D

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:51 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
Retrocide wrote:
Did I hear her right...the 43It has a resistive touch screen?

Yup.

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 pm 
Offline
Archos User
Archos User

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 111
map002 wrote:
The real problem with that 10.1" model is that for a few more dollars, you'll be able to get a tablet that's a lot more feature complete for Android. And with a Tegra2 chipset, there goes Archos' multimedia advantage. This is a strategic marketing nightmare and a product line mostly designed by accountants.

Oh well, I believe I've exceeded my b*tching quotient for the week and it's only Tuesday! Time to go back to lighting candles and leave the darkness cursing to others for a bit... :D

Michael


How much is this "few dollars"? Last I read the hannspree one is based on conversion is 200 USD more. the toshiba tegra 2 tablet. I haven't seen any rumored price and I doubt it to a mere 50 usd price difference. Nor have I seen them offer anything that makes it a more feature complete for android.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:41 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Posts: 7052
Location: Copenhagen
map002 wrote:
The real problem with that 10.1" model is that for a few more dollars, you'll be able to get a tablet that's a lot more feature complete for Android. And with a Tegra2 chipset, there goes Archos' multimedia advantage.


Tegra2 doesn't automatically mean it supports all codecs. Also Archos 101 is MSRP $299 which is significantly cheaper than iPad and there isn't any tegra2 tablets released at any close price points. When they are, all the better. Archos has margins and they can lower it even further if needed. The main thing I would like to see is them using Pixel Qi LCD for reading and low power use which I think really makes 10" tablets perfect A4 sized e-readers.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 am
Posts: 847
Location: Saint Lucia, Caribbean GMT -4
'few' is pretty relative I can see. :)
for some $200.00 is plenty (place me in this bracket)
for the others, it is petty

_________________
8+32GB A101S-V5(T1) OMAP4460 ES1.1


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
Charbax wrote:
Tegra2 doesn't automatically mean it supports all codecs.

No, it doesn't. But with support for h263 (XVID, DIVX) and h264 out of the box and with Nvidea coding for it (and you've got to admit they're no slouches at coding decoders), that's an eroding advantage.

IMO, Archos should have focused on what made it unique and maintained their market niche while grabbing some of the general tablet market at the same time. They could have made at lest one or two SKUs to cater for their base. Instead, they're relinquishing or abandoning some of their very limited USPs to increase margins and to try to make products more like other tablet makers.

Now you might think that's a winning strategy and I can respect your opinion. I think it's a bad strategy and I think it's going to leave Archos worse off. And while you and I might not agree, that's OK. Reading between the lines of the financials in Q2 is going to give us the final word as to which of us was right.

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:27 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 523
map002 wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Tegra2 doesn't automatically mean it supports all codecs.

No, it doesn't. But with support for h263 (XVID, DIVX) and h264 out of the box and with Nvidea coding for it (and you've got to admit they're no slouches at coding decoders), that's an eroding advantage.

IMO, Archos should have focused on what made it unique and maintained their market niche while grabbing some of the general tablet market at the same time. They could have made at lest one or two SKUs to cater for their base. Instead, they're relinquishing or abandoning some of their very limited USPs to increase margins and to try to make products more like other tablet makers.

Now you might think that's a winning strategy and I can respect your opinion. I think it's a bad strategy and I think it's going to leave Archos worse off. And while you and I might not agree, that's OK. Reading between the lines of the financials in Q2 is going to give us the final word as to which of us was right.

Michael


Honestly, the entire Gen 8 is looking to put Archos on the map. The problem is that they left out an entire segment. The 7"+ crowd will have their large storage, and the more mainstream crowd will have great devices, at affordable prices, and with acceptable storage capacities, especially with add MicroSDs, with the 28, 32, and 43. However they completely skipped the portable-large storage crowd by skipping a large storage 4.8" or 5" device.

Do I think Archos will do poorly with Gen 8? Absolutely not, I think that they will do exceptionally well with Gen 8. The problem is that they could have done even better, if they didn't alienate their loyal market and completely skip a market that they had a monopoly on, which the A5IT just doesn't cut it in 2010.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:34 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
zandoli wrote:
'few' is pretty relative I can see. :)
for some $200.00 is plenty (place me in this bracket)
for the others, it is petty

More like $99...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/12/noti ... being-bel/

$399 for the comparable no 3G, no PixelQI model. Plus, you get more features overall.

Assuming that I'm going to use a tablet for 18-24 months, that's a $4-$5.50 a month difference. I recognise not all parts of the world have similar levels of income, but I'm retired and not exactly floating in dough and personally, I'd gladly pay the difference myself. At the same time, I respect that others might not have that level of financial flexibility.

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
The_Blood_Raven wrote:
I think that they will do exceptionally well with Gen 8.

You and Charbax clearly read the market very differently that I do, and that's OK. And, since I wish Archos well, since they used to make some niche media tablets that I really liked and since they might make them again one day if they survive this little detour, and since I'd like to buy one again if and when they make them again, I'll hope I'm wrong and that you two are right. :)

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:41 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Posts: 7052
Location: Copenhagen
A43IT is only $199 and resistive, A70IT is $279 and capacitive.

Archos is most likely considering either making a A48IT resistive or A50IT capacitive. I'll ask them the question at IFA.

You have to agree A43IT at $199 is fantastic pricing achievement. No matter what.

I think they are aiming to do A50IT capacitive $249, but right now the screen just might not be achievable in a product below $349, but perhaps a couple months in the future it might start to become available in quantities and at prices that are usable.

As for more HDD capacities, I am sure they plan to support whichever capacities are stable and affordable on the market. I think some users experienced problems with the 500GB hard drive in the Gen7, so perhaps they are reconsidering it. And I think A101 is just too amazingly slim to be retooled to fit a HDD right now. But my imaginary A48IT or/and A50IT and A70IT for sure will continue to offer as large 2.5" HDD as the market reliably can provide.

Archos has enough huge amounts of new products to announce so far for Gen8, that doesn't mean they are obligated to limit themselves to what they have just announced. Every one of the new Gen8 devices Archos just announced have the potential to be huge enormous popular and successful Android hits, to reach lots of consumers. So let's start with that and see where they go from there.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:46 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 pm
Posts: 1915
With a 250GB size it *looks* like a step backwards (it would also help to increase the max files for Arclib). If the drive can be replaced by the user (no serial number lockout) then that would be OK.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:52 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Posts: 523
map002 wrote:
The_Blood_Raven wrote:
I think that they will do exceptionally well with Gen 8.

You and Charbax clearly read the market very differently that I do, and that's OK. And, since I wish Archos well, since they used to make some niche media tablets that I really liked and since they might make them again one day if they survive this little detour, and since I'd like to buy one again if and when they make them again, I'll hope I'm wrong and that you two are right. :)

Michael


You have to remember that the 28, 32, and 43 devices are pretty much unparralled in the market and are some amazing devices for the money. There are NO other devices out there that can provide full Flash 10.1 in your pocket for $200, end story. The larger devices, while not the best, are still pretty competitive with the upcoming tablets, and the tablet market is booming right now.

That is a lot of good for Archos I think.

But I do agree that Archos had made some definite mistakes this time around, but I can't ignore how well they are set to do.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 pm 
Offline
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 6598
Charbax wrote:
Archos has enough huge amounts of new products to announce so far for Gen8, that doesn't mean they are obligated to limit themselves to what they have just announced.

They do if they want to stay in business. This is not the phone market or even the PC market. Consumer electronics are seasonal and 75% + of sales are in Q4.

The only successful off-season launches are for rare items with non-seasonal demand or for items with no direct competition for a given market segment. That ain't IT tablets.

And it takes months to get something tooled up, shipped, distributed and on the shelves when you have to use containers. Apple can drop ship to consumers direct from China, but that's because they have big enough volume and margins to let them do that. Archos has to take the slow boat to preserve their margins. Nothing wrong with that, but it means they have to carefully plan production and shipments well in advance, as we saw reflected in the timeframe of the original Gen 8 leaks to the FCC tests.

At this point, the line-up is what it is, for better or worse. Archos is going to miss selling to a lot of it's base this Christmas, for better or for worse.

And hey, it might pay off big and aren't I going to look stupid! :D I really hope I do.

But I don't think it's a great idea to expect the SKUs to change much if they don't change in the next week or so, because stores have budgets and are booking the majority of their Christmas stock in right now.

Michael


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:40 am
Posts: 7052
Location: Copenhagen
It's a bit like Nintendo and the Wii hard core gamer dilemma. Archos can sell many of each of these awesome Gen8 releases, each provide great value for the prices. Archos can provide some tablets for the mass market, and if hard core Archos users really want a 4.8" resistive or 5.0" capacitive with 750GB hard drive and built-in 3G/GPS, I am also sure Archos is better positioned than any other company in the world to provide just that option as well. But don't require it from them to set this niche market as their core focus. The more $99 Android 2.2 ARM Cortex devices Archos can sell to as many hundreds of thousands of users in super markets as possible, the more higher end still $200 cheaper than iPad 10.1" capacitive tablets that they can sell as well, the more likely they can also provide a 750GB 5-inch device to the thousands of ultra-geek users who really think they need this.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Hosted by Forumatic™