Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A9 Newbie Tips Wiki Page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Y'all!

I should be getting my A9 around 1 Sep and I plan to create an "A9 Newbie Tips" Wiki page. The page will assume the reader has just opened the box.

What information, links, images and videos would you recommend I include in that page?

Anyone who has registered at our Wiki can contribute to the Newbie Tips page or any other A9 page.

Thanks,

Allen

PS: This is just a temporary sticky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nice idea Allen!

What comes to mind:

First out of the box you might want to talk about reading the manual then about charging.

Next, I would talk about upgrading Win7 or going back to WinVista or XP. Advantages and disadvantages of each OS. Heree you might mention other OSes on the A9, like MacOS and various Linux distros. Be sure to include links to forum topics and non-ArchosFans sites.

Then, I would cover the various drivers including the benefits of each. Again, perhaps have download links for some drivers. There might be an A9 Drivers page, or pages depending upon the OS, so you might want to link to Wiki Drivers page(s).

Also, you might want to have a section which focus on how to improve performance. This section could address areas like video playback, and replacing the HD with a SSD. Again links back to the forum, other Wiki pages,and external sites.

You probably want to have a brief comment about A9 YouTube videos - reviews, how tos and demos. Or at least a link in the References section.

Ideas folks?

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are quite a few Archos 9 un-boxing videos on YouTube which might be worth linking to, and I'm sure Charbax has some as well :-)

Is the WiKi open to all members to update ??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi Allen,

Something I would dearly like to know is whether upgrading from the starter edition is required .... so far I have not upgraded ... I can watch movies, listen to music, browse the web - I even installed TightVNC so I have remote access :D

what more do I need and what gets better if I upgrade?

Mal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CBers wrote:
There are quite a few Archos 9 un-boxing videos on YouTube which might be worth linking to, and I'm sure Charbax has some as well :-)

Is the WiKi open to all members to update ??

Aloha CBers,

I'll start a video page using the 7HT Videos page as a model. We have a Wiki Help page for embedding YouTube videos. Click this: link. We also have a Wiki Help page for uploading and inserting images. Click this: link. I've also added links to these two helps under General Topic on the A9 Wiki home page.

You have to register, hopefully using a similar name to your forum name. Then you can create and edit Wiki pages. If you create a Wiki page please use the template. The General Topics section of the A9 Wiki Home page links to the new A9 Wiki page template. Click this: link.

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Mal Bridgeman wrote:
Hi Allen,

Something I would dearly like to know is whether upgrading from the starter edition is required .... so far I have not upgraded ... I can watch movies, listen to music, browse the web - I even installed TightVNC so I have remote access :D

what more do I need and what gets better if I upgrade?

Mal

Aloha Mal,

From what I've read on the forum upgrading Win7 improves touch, speed and handwriting recognition. Replacing the HD with SSD improves speed.

In about a week I get my A9 and your questions are my questions too. I'd like to have some answers in the Wiki before I get my A9.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'd like to know if it is normal for my A9 to get stuck on the "Setting up personalized settings for windows desktop update" for about 30 minutes on initial setup. I'm still waiting for it to advance beyond this point.

EDIT: no sooner do I post but it finishes, and brings up my desktop...so I guess I would advise to exercise EXTREME patience when going through the setup process.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks 01xtreme,

Patience during setup, good tip! 30 min wow!!

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Could just be my impatience again, but those of you who have done the anytime upgrade...how long has it taken you? Mine has been "updating" for about an hour to windows ultimate, and I'm just wondering how long it should take.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My setup took about 30 minutes as well,yesterday, but I was patient, and after that everything went smooth.
It even found the drivers I needed online for my jabra Halo headset, without any prompting by me!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Patience is also required for Windows Updating... :)

BTW, a tip for the community: If you feel that your A9 is really slow, uninstall EVERYTHING but Windows and the hardware drivers... I found that the keyboard apps and scripts reduce performance.

I am now running it with only the MS keyboard, linked to the keyboard button of course (after coping and changing the source code that a fellow forum member made and shared, thanks mate!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How is the touch response on the 9? Also, does it stay true to its battery life? Im considering getting one and mounting it into my car. After that, all i need is a GPS and itd be sexy. Running programs, how many can you run simultaneously?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The A9 is not equipped with GPS.