Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice of http://www.jr.com/archos/pe/AHS_501570/ to leak it early:

Quote:
Android 2.1 Eclair / 802.11n WiFi / Bluetooth / Built-in camera & microphone / Accelerometer / Multiple audio & video formats / Surf web & download Apps

The ARCHOS 32 is an exciting 3.2" touch screen Android device. Smaller than a pack of gum the ARCHOS 32 is able to play multiple Video and Music formats, Download applications to fit your lifestyle, connect to the Internet and shoot videos with its built-in camera.

Get an excellent media player - The ARCHOS 32 features music, video and photo applications that allow users to browse through the album covers to locate and instantly access their media. Plus, the ARCHOS 32 is able to play a variety of music, photo and video formats.

Android's APPS available for Download - The AppsLib store is an Android application market place where you can download multiple apps while connected to a WiFi network. You decide what your product should do for you by choosing among the thousands of Apps available. Social media, entertainment, weather, traffic, news and games are now just a click away.

Make memories with the built-in video camera - With a built in video camera you can easily Record video or take pictures. Within minutes, you can Upload and share your Personal memories on your social networks.

Surf the Internet right from your hand - Using a WiFi connection, you can surf the Web as efficiently as you do on your Computer thanks to the speedy processor. You can easily Zoom in and out by double-tapping on the screen or by rotating the product horizontally.

Package includes: ARCHOS 32, earphones, Standard USB cable, Quick Start Guide (QSG)

Display: 3.2'' TFT LCD, 16M colors, WQVGA (400x240), Touch screen

Application Framework: Android 2.1 Eclair (upgradable to Android 2.2 Froyo when released)

Processor: 800 MHz Arm Cortex A8 with DSP

Graphical accelerator: 3D OpenGL

Video playback: MPEG-4 HD (up to 720p, 24fps@12Mbps) / MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution, 24fps@12Mbps) / H.264 HD (HP@L3.1 up to 720p, 24fps@7Mbps) / WMV9/VC1 (AP up to 720p 24fps@10Mbps) / MJPG (Motion JPEG) in VGA resolution (With Optional plug-in: Cinema: MPEG2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1, 30fps@15Mbps) / With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, MKV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, WMV

Audio Playback: MP3 CBR & VBR / WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1 / WAV (PCM/ADPCM) / AAC, AAC+ 5.13 / OGG Vorbis / FLAC (With optional Software plug-in: AC3 5.1)

Photo viewer: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF

Subtitles: .srt, .ssa, .smi, .sub formats supported

Video Recording & picture taking: Camcorder: records in MPEG-4 (.avi) and in VGA resolution (640x480) / Camera: JPG in VGA resolution

Connections: USB 2.0 Device / USB 2.0 Host & Composite video Output (optional cables)

Communication protocols: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) / Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Power source: Internal: Lithium Polymer Battery / USB charging

System Requirements: Windows XP/Vista/7; Mac & Linux / USB 2.0

Dimensions: 4.13 x 2.16 x 0.35 in.

Weight: 2.54 oz.

Consider, this is very light, only 65 grams. No reason Google Marketplace wouldn't work on it, I hope they get to pre-install it and stop confusing all the bloggers about it. GPS might not be included on this cheap one though, might be the only problem with Marketplace certification.

I found this at http://www.archoslounge.net/Scoop-Archo ... ,9478.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No magnetometer mentioned either, so without those, I doubt it'll get the Google Experience apps suite (unless Google goes in a way different direction with the Tablet space than they seem to me to be doing).

No multi-touch, it seems. No Docks but adapter cables... Too bad there's no HD video output!

Still, sounds like a cool powerful little mini-Tablet/PMP at a good price, although I don't know how big a space that will turn out to be. I'll be interested in playing with one.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think there are for all prices and for all tastes, Gen8 could be something like this:

Archos 28 8GB = $99 = no cam no accelerometre no gps + 800mhz + qvga

Archos 32 8GB = $149 = no gps + vga cam + accelerometre + 800mhz + hvga

Archos 43 8GB = $199 = capacitive + hdmi + hd cam + 1ghz + FWVGA

Archos 50 8GB = $249 = capacitive + hdmi + hd cam + 1ghz + WVGA

Archos 70 8GB = $299 = capacitive + hdmi + hd cam + 1ghz + WSVGA

Archos 102 8GB = $349 = capacitive + hdmi + hd cam + 1ghz + WSVGA + Pixel Qi

More storage options:

For all: +$50 for 32GB

For 43, 50, 70 and 102: +$100 for 500GB, +$150 for 64GB and +$150 for 750GB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I posted this to http://archosfans.com/2010/08/03/first- ... 40-screen/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In parallel they would upgrade:

Archos 7 Home Tablet rev2 8GB = $149 = RK2818 + 1ghz ARM9 + Android 2.2 compatible + vga front facing cam

and according to that other ArchosLounge rumor:

Archnova Basic 8GB = $149 = 10" ARM9 566mhz Android/WinCE Laptop

Hopefully they eventually release:

Archnova Advanced 8GB = $249 = 10" OMAP3640 1ghz + Chrome OS + 1GB RAM + internal USB host for 3G/4G module + HDMI + Pixel Qi screen for 50 hour battery runtime and sunlight readability

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting device. Seems powerful. It seems just like a better Archos 5IT with a smaller screen. No multi touch screen really sucks. No official google marketplace sucks too.

And BTW, I really don't like Archos's naming style. Archos 5 is fine as a name, but as a naming style you run into problems like future models. Archos 32 just doesn't sound right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:58 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting, too, that the leak is J&R not Amazon. Seems like Archos should be announcing soon.

Let's hope we get GE HW buttons.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chengbin wrote:
No multi touch screen really sucks.

We don't know what type of touch screen they have. For now it's just speculation.

Chengbin wrote:
No official google marketplace sucks too.

A 150-people little French company is much faster than a 20'000 employee giant like Google at making the tablet software features. What can you expect, you can't have the little French company telling Google what they should do.

Google has big partners, other big companies like Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Dell, each of those have tens of thousands of employees and each of those spend hundreds of times more R&D money than Archos in making their things. Google has to prioritize things in Android to suit their needs first. If HTC wants to make an expensive phone that sells on expensive networks with expensive subscription plans, then that is going to be the priority for Google, and they can't just at the same time also do everything that a little 150-people French company in Paris asks them to do.

What needs to happen for official Marketplace, is simply that there needs to be more Android tablets actually launched on the market. Then that will force Google to simply allow Marketplace on more devices. Once there are more devices similar to iPod Touch and iPad that are being released with Android by more companies and by big companies, then those will require Marketplace, and you can be sure that Google is not going to block Marketplace just because one or the other has same features as iPod Touch and iPad, for example no camera, no real gps, no 3G.

I am still sure this change is happening very soon. Until then, all we have to do is to install a little .apk file to have the full Google Marketplace work. Not a big deal for us. The only problem is that a lot of clueless bloggers write nonsense about Marketplace not being available, and a lot of potential consumers are discouraged from buying it then. Only advanced users that really know what they are buying buy it. More and more people are buying it though not knowing about the marketplace being pre-installed or not, it's just such a great value for money and I see many people just pick them up from the store cause it's simply the best looking device for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:05 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Charbax,

Maybe with Gen8 we could mount a campaign to "inform" the bloggers of the true state of the Gen8 experience. I certainly would like to know about misleading info and how to respond to it.

I expect the Gen8 intro will be very smooth especially when compared to the Gen7. I expect the only thing the bloggers might be able to get us on is lack of GE HW. Here'e hoping Archos puts most of the GE HW in the Gen8s.

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax,

Archos doesn't have to tell Google what to do at all. They've known what the HW requirements are for over a year now. All they have to do is put all the correct little HW bits and bobs onto their devices to qualify for Googles minimum Android HW specs and they can have the Google apps immediately and we can finally have devices that will run all the wide range of Android apps a proper uncompromised Android tablet should be able to run.

The one thing that scares me is that you seem to be building a defence for them not having done this. I was hoping only the mini-tablet was HW feature deficient, I begin to suspect that this might be the case for all of the Gen 8 IT line... Ugh.

Let's hope I'm just being paranoid. ;)

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

With all the HW changes Charbax mentions above, the GE HW shouldn't be that difficult for the little 150 person Archos company which has already given us the A5A.

Of course, as Mama used to tell me each 31 Oct: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't chasing you."

Allen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I don't know what AAC+ 5.13 refers to.

If the '3' is a type and it means AAC+ 5.1 then that is great news, finally we get AAC multichannel support.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi i'm a long time reader but this is my first post
after reading this subject, i searched google for pictures of the "alleged" archos 32.
look what i found on the same j&r page

do you think this could be the archos 32 ?

michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

strahd wrote:

do you think this could be the archos 32 ?

michael

No. That's the Philips 3.2" LCD GoGear Muse 16GB MP3 Player. It shows up in Google Search because JR has it in the Similar Products tab.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Easy come, easy go. JR has taken the page down. If anyone here preordered, let us know what they say (if anything).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This is extremely exciting! I never even thought of a camera. Time to return mine to radioshack.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

monkeychef wrote:
This is extremely exciting! I never even thought of a camera. Time to return mine to radioshack.

Forget the camera. With a 3.2'' screen I'd need a magnifying glass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Charbax wrote:
Archnova Basic 8GB = $149 = 10" ARM9 566mhz Android/WinCE Laptop

Archnova Advanced 8GB = $249 = 10" OMAP3640 1ghz + Chrome OS + 1GB RAM + internal USB host for 3G/4G module + HDMI + Pixel Qi screen for 50 hour battery runtime and sunlight readability

I'll believe it when I see it. Till then, it's vapor like the phone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

This sounds like it'll be reminiscent to the htc aria.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

glad to see some motion on gen 8. I have been wondering if I would prefer a 7 or 10 inch screen. I think maybe 7, but as for the rest it's simple. I have two 5 ITs and just got the TMo vairant of the Galaxy S. I've realized what I do and don't like on Archos. Don't like not having hardware buttons. Sure there's room on the bar on top but it all goes South on full screen apps. Only Kindle is really usable with a way to pull it up without fussing with the power button. No hardware buttons was a step too far at being sleek. Also the tiny system memory is a drag. What's up with that? I don't care if apps can move in 2.2 I don't want to constantly kill apps to keep it moving. I'm sure they will step up the CPU which wasn't bad, but faster is better. As for multi touch, I'd like it but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker. The capacitive screen is nice but too easy to accidentally trigger. Of course switching back to resistive I wonder why it didn't trigger because I didn't press hard enough. One thing for sure is Gorilla glass is worth having. I have wear marks on my screen.

The other really essential thing is a camera. With an Android device on a network with a camera you can do amazing things, like write a cash register program on a web page or use Layar. I think the lesson of the iPad and the Chinese flood of devices is that cheap is one thing, but feature rich at a decent price is another. I can get Chinese devices in 7 or 10 inch sizes and with Android 2.1, cameras, etc... For $150-$250 I could live with them... maybe. Frankly I'd pay much more for an Archos because they have a track record and will insure it is an open device that is supported. Also I'm not so good with Chinese menus.

I hope they come out soon with more details. I have other devices I'm looking at that look good but I have been a loyal Archos customer for 3 generations of products and they get first crack at my next buying decision...

Eric