Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 911 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Aha... I found that if I disable the dri module (option "DRI" "off") in xorg.conf it works. Obviously I am not getting the best acceleration, but this is for work anyway, not movies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just posted a basic tutorial of getting Ubuntu Lucid Netbook Edition working on it:

http://www.ossramblings.com/installing- ... s-9-tablet

The only glitches I'm having - if I try to use a login at boot with the virtual keyboard, as soon as I log in xorg crashes. If I login using a USB keyboard it doesn't do that. My bluetooth keyboard also crashes xorg constantly. If I allow it to auto-log me in, everything works fine without a real keyboard. It's the eGalaxTouch driver that causes the crash, does anyone know a workaround?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yvesdm3000:
First of all: Thanks for all your work and info on getting the Archos 9 to work with Linux! ;-)
I'm very very interested to get full poulsbo (and vaapi!) working on the Archos 9, it wouldn't work, neither with the poulsbo install script nor with the lucid packages downloaded from the gma500 repository (ppa:gma500/ppa). However, compiling a full Xorg is probably not for the faint of heart I would assume. Could you either post an installable package or instructions on how to do it right?
How many fps do you get with glxgears with working 3D (50 here)? Just so I know if it worked! ;-)
btw: Why does glxinfo not seem to tell you if 3D accel is working? "direct rendering" is not an indicator...

I compiled and installed anything va-api, and mplayer-vaapi just tells me "va_getdrivername returns -1 / unknown libva error" upon trying to play something using -vo vaapi... I'm assuming this is due to Poulsbo gfx not working properly, right?

Also, what about that micro-touchpad? Did anyone get that working under Lucid? the eGalax driver works like a charm and has never given me any headaches...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Krut,

You need the ppa/fix to make openGL working. There is a patched xorg 1.7.6 in the PPA that makes the driver work. A 'better' driver is in the works that won't need a patched xorg.

I have vaapi working nicely here. I'm not at the machine currently but i get near 300 to 500 fps if i can remember correctly. Some people on a EEEpc even report 1500 fps, so I guess the opengl driver still uses alot of the CPU...

-Yves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So when I tried it from fixes and the driver constantly crashed xorg, the problem was I didn't install the special xorg?

So I should have done apt-get install xorg in addition to the poulsbo drivers?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well I did a fresh install and tried the fix repository again. I made certain after adding fix to do a "mark all upgrades" and upgrade everything installed, then I rebooted and installed the Poulsbo driver - and rebooted again. If I don't disable DRI, my system is excessively slow and the desktop app in Ubuntu Netbook is just a big white box.

I booted it into a pure gnome session with the 3D drivers installed and I tried glxgears and only got a solid black box.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yvesdm3000 wrote:
Krut,

You need the ppa/fix to make openGL working. There is a patched xorg 1.7.6 in the PPA that makes the driver work. A 'better' driver is in the works that won't need a patched xorg.

I have vaapi working nicely here. I'm not at the machine currently but i get near 300 to 500 fps if i can remember correctly. Some people on a EEEpc even report 1500 fps, so I guess the opengl driver still uses alot of the CPU...

-Yves

Which PPA? The Poulsbo PPA? Or is there some other one for Xorg that I don't know about? ;-) Any guesstimate as to when the fixed driver that doesn't need the patched xorg will be released?

What fps do you get with mplayer -vo vaapi -benchmark for H.264 720p/1080p? The 300-500 is for glxgears i assume, right? ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry I forgot about the archos forums since I was tackling PSB drivers :-)

These are the glxgears numbers I get:

[email protected]:~$ glxgears
400 frames in 5.0 seconds
448 frames in 5.0 seconds
740 frames in 5.0 seconds
675 frames in 5.0 seconds
790 frames in 5.0 seconds
731 frames in 5.0 seconds
^C
[email protected]:~$

The increase of fps is when I activated the terminal so it wasn't visible again. So I get around 400 fps.

A good idea is to replace netbook-launcher with netbook-launcher-efl because we still have an issue with opengl applications starting at startup (they stay white). Once you're logged in, the opengl based launcher runs fine so it's not an opengl issue. Since I had it working before, it must be an issue within the driver...

Instructions on how to install the beta version are here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... dsPoulsbo/

A couple of days ago we posted a new version that doesn't require the patched version of Xorg, that should make it more easy for people... And sorry guys, it is still beta-quality for now.

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the heads up, Yves! ;-)
So what's the problem with the beta poulsbo for lucid? I thought since it seems to run fine in 9.10, there shouldn't be any issues in 10.04?

Seeing how 9.10 is fully supported by the poulsbo driver, i do kinda wonder if 9.10 is the better choice for the Archos 9... Wouldn't be much of a step back since compared to other CPUs, 10.04 is *not* significantly faster on the Atom than 9.10! ;-)

Is there a tutorial somewhere on installing 9.10? Does everything work?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry I never tried 9.10, i went from 8.04 right to 10.04. I like to go forward, not backwards. :-)

The problem is xorg version 1.7, some EXA stuff has changed and because of that the EXA-based driver didn't compile, nor does it work if you fix the compile issues. The driver uses exa_classic and I've found a bug in xorg exa_classic, that's why we added a modified xorg version for a while that had the bug fixed, but it's not a clean solution in the longer run. Now I allready migrated the driver to exa_mixed and thus we don't need our 'patched' version of xorg anymore. I also wanted to migrate to exa_mixed to be able to handle pixmaps myself as a first step to make Xv work in all cases: EXA has introduced a way to 'pin' a pixmap, and when it is pinned, you cannot touch its contents (you can't get the base address). Most software like totem, mplayer and skype seem to make a window that has its pixmap 'pinned'. If I bypass all that pinned crap by handling pixmaps ourselves, I can make Xv work in most cases.
(If you wanna know, when you enable compositing, the pinned stuff goes away due to the indirect rendering nature of compositing and you'll end up with working Xv)

BTW i'm having alot of fun hacking on this driver, not for the OpenGL part, but learning the xorg internals

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Okay, i did manage to install the gma500 driver from the /fix repository - 'twas no easy task, i had to remove the non-fix repo first since ubuntu always claimed i had the latest version installed already.
I also had to remove netbook-launcher because it just showed a grey (white! ;-) screen after boot, like you predicted. netbook-efl was already installed, but now I don't get any menues when starting, it complains about some taskbar-widget that cannot launch.
With a terminal however (alt-f2) I probed around to see if I had full 3D OpenGL - and no, it doesn't appear like it. glxinfo looks good, but glxgears does not do anything, also va-info still reports the poulsbo as unknown chip...

This isn't working, I just hope (wish) that someone (yvesdm? ;-) will make an image of his working install of 10.04 and then put that up for download... That would be really awesome and would save all Archos9 owners worldwide trying to run Linux on it a lot of pain!

I'm gonna try out Ubuntu 9.10 now, hopefully I get Poulsbo 3D working there...

P.S: Has anyone ever had any problems fiddling with the partitions on the Archos9? Whatever I use, the Ubuntu installer or Gparted, it always says that the "device or resource is busy" and that it cannot make changes until the next reboot...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A couple of days ago we merged my changes into the 'main' repository, no need for the 'fix' repository anymore... That was probably why you had troubles..

I'll see if I can install a fresh ubuntu and publish an image of it. It might take more than a week to do that since I'm hacking to get Xv working correctly right now...

(BTW, a good idea to put your xorg.conf here, might indicate why it is not working)

-Yves

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Will post my xorg.conf when I get back from holiday! ;-)

I did try installing 9.10 the other day, but it was an absolute disaster. At least the vanilla DVD version is completely uninstallable, all kinds of errors all the time, I've never seen anything like it. I'll also try the USB-stick netbook version of 9.10 when I get back...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Since my "insanely powerful" new laptop just died, :lol: I dusted off my "9" and tried one more time to get a Linux distro working on it.

I am writing you now from a (more or less) fully-functional Ubuntu 10.04 Archos 9. It's crazy fast by Archos 9 standards -- less than thirty seconds from dead to desktop -- and Firefox opens in less than ten seconds.

I'm using the Ubuntu Netbook Edition, and I followed the instructions here: http://www.ossramblings.com/installing-ubuntu-archos-9-tablet

Just a couple of caveats:

* EDIT: I am using a SSD, which undoubtedly affects my performance.
* My buttons are not working. Still trying to figure that out.
* Using Cellwriter as my on-screen keyboard, as Florence was acting all squirrelly.
* IMPORTANT: using the instructions at the link, your USB drive will be labeled PENDRIVE, not Ubuntu. In the "deb" line where you fetch your wireless driver repositories from your USB drive, substitute PENDRIVE for Ubuntu.
* IMPORTANT: have a USB hub handy, so that you can have keyboard, mouse and USB drive all plugged in at once during install and setup. This will not work otherwise.
* IMPORTANT: you'll find a "DRI" section in your xorg.conf. You must comment it out for your eGalaxTouch driver to work.
* Change your screensaver settings so that it does NOT lock your screen, and your start-up settings to log you in automatically. Especially if you're having trouble tweaking your on-screen keyboard.

So -- all that said, here's what IS working:

* Poulsbo -- working. Looks pretty darn good too. Haven't tried video or 3D yet -- it's not really what I got this thing for.
* Wireless -- yep! :D It's the FIRST THING you must attend to. No wireless; no worky.
* Touchscreen -- yes! Seriously! :D
* Webcam -- yes.
* Recovery from Standby/Sleep -- yes. Haven't tried Hibernate yet.

My "9" is useful again! :D Thanks to all of you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:48 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The difference it makes: I just finished editing three images using Gimp v. 2.6 -- a fairly robust program, and one that simply dragged on Windoze. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

One nice thing to have is the VA accelerated mplayer and run

mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi yourmovie.mkv

Nice fullscreen hardware-accelerated video in your handpalm!

I also added this line to /etc/mplayer/input.conf:

MOUSE_BTN0_DBL vo_fullscreen

It enables you to go fullscreen by double-tapping the videowindow. Double-tapping again leaves fullscreen.

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:54 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Interesting. Cursor just darted across the screen, when I inadvertently touched the "thumb mouse".

So the system does "see" it after all -- meaning, I simply have something set wrong in rc.local and/or xorg.conf.

Now if I could just figure out what... :/ Anyone with a working system wanna compare files?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Voodoo: don't bother. It is not supported by the eGalax driver inside xorg. They send an instruction when they switch from touchpad to mouse mode and then the 'regular' driver should start working (in windows at least). On Linux, nothing handles that operation and is sometimes mistakenly interpreted as a coordinate instruction.

Once I get the whole Poulsbo mess fixed, I want to give a shot at building a custom eGalax PS2 kernel driver (or adapt the USB one)

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ah. Well thank you; I'd have been a week on that... :D

Now is there any alternative CellWriter layout I can use, that just gives me the basics? Too much space being taken up here... :/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah I know, something I will work on. I also have some patches agains CellWriter so it acts like a panel, it will make the main window smaller so it doesn't overlap anything.

And currently I'm working on my own email client which is much more finger-friendly and doesn't take much space, but a bit bigger than the cellphone email-apps out there (they are waaaay too small...)

I should make a webpage somewhere and publish some 'tablet' packages...

-Yves

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 911 Next