Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Which feature should be added first?
USB Keyboard and Mouse 4%  4%  [ 25 ]
USB Bluetooth (keyboard, headphones/headset, GPRS/HSDPA) 5%  5%  [ 32 ]
Ogg Vorbis, Flac and Mkv 16%  16%  [ 101 ]
Tivo DVR USB transfer 1%  1%  [ 9 ]
Faster scrolling in the Browser 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
Last.fm and Pandora integration (scrobbling and offline mode) 3%  3%  [ 18 ]
VOIP using Skype and SIP 5%  5%  [ 29 ]
HSDPA Dock 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Bluetooth Dock (keyboard, headphones/headset, GPRS/HSDPA) 3%  3%  [ 20 ]
Google Gears offline database support for browser, ACP and Widgets 1%  1%  [ 6 ]
DivX Connected including Stage6 in ACP and DivX Ultra 3%  3%  [ 17 ]
One-click log-on to FON hotspots 0%  0%  [ 3 ]
USB Webcam for Skype and SIP video-conferencing 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
Uploading to FTP, Youtube, Flickr, Dailymotion and more 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Metadata from Musicbrainz/IMDB/Wikipedia using digital/analog fingerprint 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
VNC remote desktop viewer 2%  2%  [ 15 ]
Display lyrics 1%  1%  [ 7 ]
Playing music while browsing 16%  16%  [ 96 ]
WMV7 and WMV8 4%  4%  [ 25 ]
Ad-Hoc WiFi 3%  3%  [ 20 ]
Sort Files by Date Added 2%  2%  [ 11 ]
Playback of embedded .avi/.wmv/.mov/.rm videos including mms/rtsp 7%  7%  [ 42 ]
USB DVB tuner support (cable and terrestrial) 2%  2%  [ 13 ]
USB DVB tuner support (cable and terrestrial) 2%  2%  [ 13 ]
Automatically connect to prefered WiFi in the background 3%  3%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 613
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Edit by admin on 12th September 2007: I added a poll to this thread. To add more choices to the poll, you can add your suggestions as replies in this thread and the new ideas will be added to the poll. When Archos implements some of the features, those features will be removed from the poll.

Edit by admin on 29th of November 2007: Password-protection of folders 5% [ 16 votes ] was removed from the list. As of Firmware update 1.7.06 (November 28th), widgets, games and password protection of folders (so called Parental Control on files or folders) has been added.

Edit by admin on 19th December 2007: Dish Networks DVR USB transfer 3% [ 10 votes ] was removed from the list. As of Firmware update 1.7.13 (December 18th), Dish Networks compatibillity was added. Somekind of support for unlimited music services as download and streaming such as musicme.com was also added.

Edit by admin on 6th May 2008: Flash 8 and Flash 9 (including smooth .swf) 23% [ 128 votes ] was removed from the list. Slingbox player 3% [ 19 votes ] was removed from the list. Since those features have been added with the 2.0.10 firmware update.

Since this thread was soooooo popular in the 604wifi forum, it should be replicated here. If you think there should be firmware changes to those announced or delivered by Archos, list them in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

bit early for this???!!! shouldn't we wait until some people have gotten to use it first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

NEVER! The 604 thread influenced so many Archos programmers :lol: that we need to get these down early ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ogg and FLAC support please. Also, ensure the as yet to be released Podcast plug-in can actually seek, bookmark and correctly view tags in shuffle mode.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kitty wrote:
Since this thread was soooooo popular in the 604wifi forum, it should be replicated here. If you think there should be firmware changes to those announced or delivered by Archos, list them in this thread.

So basically you want to start a thread for features you would like to see in the 606(NOT 605) wifi sounds good to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mitchelln wrote:
Ogg and FLAC support please. Also, ensure the as yet to be released Podcast plug-in can actually seek, bookmark and correctly view tags in shuffle mode.

\o/

I'm not the only one lobbying for flac and ogg support!

(my request was here :http://www.jbmm.fr/forum/index.php?showtopic=14044 , tis in french though)

U.S and French flac+ogg fans unite ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Since 605 Wifi can connect to the Internet, I would love to see a couple of features that are included in MediaPortal -- found at:

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

For those of you who don't know, MediaPortal is a freeware and opensource version of Windows MediaCenter.

Anyway, one of the features is if you click on "Info" on your remote while the title of the movie is selected, the software will automatically connect to IMDB and download in the background the movie's summary, rating, and coverart. This information is then stored permanently in your hard drive for easy access in the future. If you have lots of movie in your library, this is a cool and desirable feature.

The second cool feature of MediaPortal is "Trailers". That is, by clicking on this, the software will download movie trailers (whether new DVD releases or new theatrical releases) in the background and automatically display them within its interface.

I believe that these two features alone could easily add killer application features to Archos' wifi models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

StanRex wrote:
mitchelln wrote:

\o/

I'm not the only one lobbying for flac and ogg support!

(my request was here :http://www.jbmm.fr/forum/index.php?showtopic=14044 , tis in french though)

U.S and French flac+ogg fans unite ^^

Actually old chap I'm British! ;) It's nice to meet another believer in Ogg. :) Perhaps we should start an Ogg support thread and see if we can come up with ways to lobby Archos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Manny wrote:
Anyway, one of the features is if you click on "Info" on your remote while the title of the movie is selected, the software will automatically connect to IMDB and download in the background the movie's summary, rating, and coverart. This information is then stored permanently in your hard drive for easy access in the future. If you have lots of movie in your library, this is a cool and desirable feature.

This would be awesome! Part of this could be a strategy to create a new Archos movie database, where an MD5 hash could be generated in the background of the selected films, and that would provide accurate movie info, as well as provide statistics for how many people watch certain movies (if the user opts in to share their usage stats) as well as to provide especially movie recommendations, thus based on video files one have, one could rate a movie while watching it or after having watched it, and based on that info, Archos could provide movie recommendations in the Archos Content Portal or just generally, produce a list of suggested stuff one should look for.

As well as later this could be used to pay film makers based on a unlimited access membership.

Manny wrote:
The second cool feature of MediaPortal is "Trailers". That is, by clicking on this, the software will download movie trailers (whether new DVD releases or new theatrical releases) in the background and automatically display them within its interface.

Great feature also! What I'd like is a way for people to upload their video reviews to a site like Dailymotion or Youtube, and then one could watch those videos of people analysing the film or stuff like that. Rate those reviews and thus have automatically a recommendation to which review to check out. One could thus also watch the video reviews before choosing to watch the film that is selected. The TV+ and the 605 can record from an external camera, so there should be a driver to use any cheap usb webcam on the mini-dock or the DVR Station Gen5, and thus capture ones video reviews this way and upload them with a click of a button directly from the Archos to Dailymotion or Youtube. This video reviews would be the new type of IMDB reviews, just with video, thus suitable to watch on TV or on-the-go better than text is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

RE: Ogg and flac...

OK, this thing has a hard drive, an operating system, and internet access. Why wouldn't we be able just to download the ogg and flac codecs and use them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would like the Archos 606 wifi to cure cancer.

Post subject: Been there, done that
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

boojay wrote:
I would like the Archos 606 wifi to cure cancer.

THe AV500 already did that but that was a special option that you had to purchase...I plugged it in to a friend of ours and it cured her cancer fine..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Still waiting on that SDK...

Even if it was something like QuakeC, a scripting language based on builtin functions, as long as they provided us with a means of writing to the frame/audiobuffer and some hardware accellerated functions that the archos already is capable (like video and sound decoding)

Hell in fact if they could adapt the standalone QuakeC VM someone split from quake ages ago that would make the device and it's homebrew capabilities a million times better without endangering any of Archos's licence agreements.

... But it will never happen. Archos will probably follow Apple's lead and force us to use AJAX as the "official" SDK, making any hardware capabilities of the device null and void.

Lastly:
If you make any major non-licencing related improvements (like a real SDK not based on AJAX) on the 05 series, filter some of them down to the 04 series, please! I might acctually consider buying your future products if this ever happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I like some of your other ideas Charbax especially the ability to rate movies and movies recommendations.

Pass some of these ideas to Archos for us!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

guiri wrote:
THe AV500 already did that but that was a special option that you had to purchase...I plugged it in to a friend of ours and it cured her cancer fine..

screw that, i'm not paying extra for a plugin 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Possibility to unrar files and sfv check them. But most importand to be able to read txt files. Why not, even the smallest cowon player can do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the two big issues are:

1. MKV (720p/x264) support. Lots of material are floating around in this format.

2. Subtitle/closed captioning support (sub, srt, etc.). Very handy to have for foreign movies and when you want to watch something without sound.

Other items that would be cool (and I have no idea if Archos has announced anything in this area yet) are Bluetooth headphone support and a Skype client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

seditious3 wrote:
RE: Ogg and flac...

OK, this thing has a hard drive, an operating system, and internet access. Why wouldn't we be able just to download the ogg and flac codecs and use them?

Unfortunately the OS partition is inaccessible. A sensible precaution by Archos. The best route would be via a plugin like the Podcast and VOB player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

PLAIN ____TEXT ____FILE ____VIEWER ___PLEASE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

t079 wrote:
PLAIN ____TEXT ____FILE ____VIEWER ___PLEASE.

One that handles larges fonts and underscores ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next