Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I searched this forum but couldn't find anyone with the exact same situation as me.

The unit turns on (either plugged in or not) and it sounds like the HD is spinning, but only lasts about 2 seconds on the startup screen and then turns off. When I plug in the unit, the green charge light flashes, but still won't get past the startup screen.

Does this mean I need a new battery? I replaced it once but not too long ago. I removed the lithium ion battery and it reads 3.7 volts as it should.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Generally, if a device doesn't work with a battery that was tested and had sufficient voltage, the device would be the culprit. I don't own a gmini40x, but it sounds like a problem with the actual device. As most electronics that I know of will be able to turn on with an old and long dead battery, it just needs to be plugged in with the battery in it, as it will sense the capacitance of the battery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your input. I'm referring to the Archos Gmini 400. I can't remember what it did when the battery was bad before, but like you said, it would make sense for the unit to work while plugged in if it was just a battery issue.

So it might be time to ditch the unit after 10 years rather than buy a new battery?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:06 am 

bad advice there, im 99% sure ALL archos devices run completely off the battery, if the battery has failed then the devices simply wont turn on. the best thing you can do is remove the cell and test it. but i would hazard a guess that the cell is probo past its best now if working at all.
the cost of the new cells are pretty cheap so getting a new one wont break the bank.r
roy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

he said he tested it and it read as 3.7V, though I'm not sure if he tested it right after he tried charging it, or after his Gmini failed to start while it was unplugged.

@semi: If You havn't already, you could try a testing the battery on another device (that uses a lithium type rechargable battery) maybe a cell phone, just need to find the right spring pins. (and some alligator clips plus some sort of tape to insulate and prevent any accidental shorts) I've tried it on two cellphoness and was successful with the battery from my old MP3 player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here's a follow-up. I wound up ordering a new battery off ebay for about $8 including shipping. Still wouldn't work- wouldn't get past the startup screen before shutting off.

I started to look into new hard drives- only about $25 on ebay and elsewhere, but then found a fix to my problem here:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t512996-un ... eplacement

here's re-post of that solution:

Best Solution
posted on Jun 25, 2008
Very Helpful (100)

bignely
bignely

Rating: 100%, 3 votes
I came up with a solution (finally!). Only try this if you have exhausted all other possibilities.

First, make sure the unit if turned off, remove the backplate, and set the battery aside, still connected. Peel back the gold foil where hard drive connects to the motherboard, and loosen the small silver plate at the other end, sliding it to the side. Remove the hard drive by sliding it off the pins. Turn the unit on, and you should get a screen that asks if you would like to reformat. Replace the hard drive, carefully, and quickly, and reformat.

I had to reformat twice, but I eventually got the thing working. I was almost ready to toss it, so any extended life I get is worth it. If nothing else, this should get you off the dreaded logo screen. Good luck!