All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos API for the AMC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos API for the AMC feature has been released too

Just noticed this on the download site for the A5A at the Archos site:

Quote:
Until now, access to the ARCHOS media center applications has not been available to Android developers. The ARCHOS API, which can be downloaded below, will give application developers access to the media applications Video, Music, Photo, Games and the Media Club. These features could only be launched before using the ARCHOS launcher widget. Now developers can launch them from their own applications. This is particularly useful for those developing custom home screens.

Going to download the Demo and source to see what is what. Looks like Archos are really going to town what with this and the DualOS stuff........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks Gabriel1964!

I DLed both files...

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wow, this is getting interesting. Could a deal with Google be behind some of this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Speculation abounds!

Something major seems to have happened to Archos Management's philosophy. It would be nice to be a fly on the wall at Archos HQ.

The cool thing is that Archos still owns the HW platform. Looks like win-win for everyone including Archos.

Wonder what nz would say if he were free to speak?

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So does this mean someone could develop an app that would scan your movie folder for the names of the movies, then use a scraper to download the poster, IMDB score, plot etc, and present the whole thing in a slick visual interface like XBMC ? And when you click on a movie it would launch it via AMC. That would be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:19 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Speculation abounds!

Something major seems to have happened to Archos Management's philosophy. It would be nice to be a fly on the wall at Archos HQ.

The cool thing is that Archos still owns the HW platform. Looks like win-win for everyone including Archos.

Wonder what nz would say if he were free to speak?

Allen

I'd say: "Enjoy"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if this enables new awesome Video-On-Demand apps, things like Boxee within Android and with full access to launch video and audio decoding using Archos full hardware acceleration..

How soon until we get Google Watch, like Google Listen but for video podcasts, for full 720p access to Youtube and all other sources of 720p video contents from the web. A 720p version of the Youtube app would be nice so we can fast forward and skip within Youtube videos. All in a smooth laid back user interface in a new very powerful Android application, that combines video search, meta data for all multimedia files, meta communities, debates about content, content ratings and recommendations, even eventually perhaps real-time overlay chats and other overlay text and features if Archos also can open up the overlay API for what can happen in the video overlays?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks nz, great reply! =D>

Now for a turn to Archos Fantasy Land:
[fantasy]
The Archos developers with Google and TI support have resolved the AMC issues in Android. Archos is getting ready to release full fledged Android versions of the AMC components with the same speed we've all enjoyed for HD videos, and all the codec support. So AMC is soon to become history and no longer integral to the Archos Mission. Look for a new FW upgrade soon!
[/fantasy]

I just love Fantasy Land! :D :lol: :D

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am just looking forward to playing around in the android sdk to build new interface apps and widgets that can access the AMC functions. Maybe selection by flicking your wrist to select the AMC fuction you want or something................

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Another Fantasy Land vision came through:

The next FW release will soon be followed by the release of the 7A. Just like the last FW for the 5A was followed by new batches of 5As hitting the market.

Just fantasizing...

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry to bump into but anything for the A5IMT's nz? Please release some info about the hardware video decoder. So that this device can also be a huge success. A request from all of us IMT's owner..
Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:02 am 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

nokiae50 wrote:
Sorry to bump into but anything for the A5IMT's nz? Please release some info about the hardware video decoder. So that this device can also be a huge success. A request from all of us IMT's owner..

there is no HW video decoder, it is the builtin DSP of the OMAP3 (which has some HW accelerators), most of it is public info by TI. Btw, the OMAP3 in the A5IT is the same one as in the A5IMT - only a bit faster (800MHz vs 600MHz)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nz wrote:
nokiae50 wrote:

there is no HW video decoder, it is the builtin DSP of the OMAP3 (which has some HW accelerators), most of it is public info by TI. Btw, the OMAP3 in the A5IT is the same one as in the A5IMT - only a bit faster (800MHz vs 600MHz)

does that mean that a custom build of Archos' Android build could be installed on a A5IMT?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

WantToGloom wrote:
does that mean that a custom build of Archos' Android build could be installed on a A5IMT?

Sure, if Archos chooses to do this, they could. Wouldn't expect them to do this though as they already do a build of Android for the A5A. What changes would you expect them to make in this custom build?

Michael

EDIT: Sorry, misread IMT for IT... D'oh! :shock: :lol:

Last edited by map002 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

WantToGloom wrote:
nz wrote:
nokiae50 wrote:

I think also a difference is A5A has 256MB RAM while A5IMT has only 128MB RAM.. Might mean quite a bit of difference in the performance of Android if you want to include all of Archos multimedia features within Android.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

but a lot of phones that run Android only have 128MB of RAM. I doubt it'd happen, but I do think it'd make a lot of old A5IMT users quite happy that their old device is now a cool new Android Internet Tablet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

But there wouldn't be much memory to run the PMP or many apps. But someone could just roll together a straight up Android build for it, I suppose. I was wondering why no one had bothered to do that until now. Maybe the memory issue or some other hardware shortcoming seemed daunting to them as well, who knows?

You can always ask them in the Open Development Forum!

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

WantToGloom wrote:
but a lot of phones that run Android only have 128MB of RAM.

Yeah, but none of those do 720p, HDMI, WVGA 4.8" medium density interfaces, DivX, Mpeg2, H264, WMV, Flac, Ogg Vorbis, etc etc..

So my guess is you might have Android without all the multimedia on the A5IMT, but likely with full multimedia will have to wait for a more optimized integration of everything in Android, which I guess Archos with the help of Texas Instruments, ARM, Google and others might reach in the next few months anyways. Because a more optimized Android for A5A and A7A, might also port back to eventually also work on A5IMT.

But then consider finally, Archos is selling A5A now and A7A next month, they are not selling the A5IMT anymore, so if porting a full Android on the old one requires an effort like climbing the mount everest 15 times, then more likely if it happens it might be the work of the third party developers more than Archos doing it themselves.

Though the open-source work by Open Handset Alliance and ARM Solutions Center for Android, I think, are all helping to reach that kind of total hardware optimization across all the devices, even, I think, on the cheaper (or older) 128MB RAM based devices.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hmmmm, I agree it's a good thing that Archos appear to be gradually moving towards a more open development platform for their devices, and actually trying to help developers work with their devices/applications, but this "API" doesn't really give away anything new, and isn't really an API at all... it's a demo application of how you can launch the Archos AMC functionality from other Android applications (using the Android based intents/activities), along with the source code for doing it. Yes, this is good, and I'm sure some newcomers/enthusiasts will find it both helpful and interesting, but for anyone that's already developing Android applications for the Archos 5IT, and using the Eclipse IDE to help with this, you can get all this info (and more) by attaching the debugger to your Archos device and looking at the logs.

I'm not saying this is not a helpful or positive step by Archos, I'm just a bit confused as to who it's aimed at, and if this is supposed to persuade developers to concentrate on developing for the Archos devices, as opposed to other Android devices, or even other platforms like the iPhone/iTouch/iPad, with much more comprehensive published API's, and general developer assistance/support, there's still a long way to go!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Andy,

Of course Google have all sorts of information on programming for Android in general. So, what more specifically would you like to know about the AMC and how Android apps can interact with it? Or is there something else about the A5A in particular that it would help you to know?

Michael