Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

scook84 wrote:
There is a topic on this forum on how to remove the cover. I have already removed the hard drive and am waiting for my 128GB drive to arrive on Monday. I will then install the drive and do a fresh install of Windows 7, Enterprise Edition.

Which drive did you buy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The quest for knowledge is never work.. I now have a 128GB hard drive in my Archos 9. I have seen the electronics and know how it works. I can easily use a USB Drive, but that would require carrying more "stuff".

I think its great to have a portable system up and running in less than a minute. To have video with no drop-offs (so far) and to have programs that are more responsive.

Now that I also know what an SSD drive is capable of I may just consider using one in one of my other laptops.

Life is good..

:-D

Last edited by scook84 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I purchased a 128GB RunCore SSD Drive that was 1.8" PATA/ZIF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You've inspired me! I just ordered the 128gb 1.8" SuperTalent Masterdrive and I'm hoping it will work. It's the right dimensions, with a ZIF connection: https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FZM28GF18H&title=Super-Talent-1-8-inch-128GB-MasterDrive-GF-IDE-ZIF-Solid-State-Drive-MLC

If it doesn't work in my 9 I've got a netbook it should work in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I know you'll be impressed with the increase in performance. A few suggestions:

1. Read the topic on how to open the Archos 9. It is quite helpful.
2. Do a backup of your current system/settings. I used "Windows Easy Transfer" Utility and saved the backup onto the network.
3. Remember that both the SSD and the current 1.8" drive uses a "black bar" to clamp the cable onto the drive. See the documentation that will accompany your SSD drive for instructions on how to remove the drive.

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks Scook. I've already bookmarked the recommended threads. ;) I've got the Win 7 Starter-to-Home Premium upgrade coming, and plan to simply install it once/twice on the SSHD after it's installed (I have a USB DVD drive). I will certainly back everything up before beginning though. The 60gb drive will likely end up in that netbook. I'm reserving a long weekend for the task, and hoping it takes me no more than a couple of hours. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It should take around 22 - 25 minutes to do a fresh install from the DVD. Longer if you plan on cloning the HD onto the SSD. (Assuming the DVD is bootable. Upgrade discs sometimes are not).

At any rate, shouldn't take too long. The biggest hurdle is getting the thing open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Some pictures of the SSD built into the Archos 9 would be nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did. I bought RunCore SSD 64GB with the USB case, cable and screws. First i took out the original hard drive to install into USB case, and plug it into computer to do backup with Acronis True Image program. After i backup the entire drive, i remove the hard drive and plug back the Runcore SSD drive. I restore the image to the new drive. It is pretty easy, but it took me lot of time to unscrew the Archos casing and figure out the hard drive and SSD drive got a flip lock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I ordered the upgrade to windows home premium, and all that was in the box that arrived was an authorization code. Anytime upgrade is my only obvious choice, but I'm curious if I can use that authorization code with a Win7 install disk I've already used to update to 7 on my desktop. I'd like to do a fresh install on the SSD.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

4DThinker
I have heard this Windows 7 OEM upgrade only can use it in one pc computer. Once you installed the OEM you can't reruse in other pc computer.

You may reinstall Windows 7 in any pc computer, unless you have the Full Windows 7 version.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've got more authorization codes than the number of PCs I want 7 on. All paid for. I'd love to move 7 Starter to my ASUS netbook although I won't cry of I can't. Then put 7 home Premium on the Archos 9. In theory I paid for the version of Starter that came on my 9, and it will be replaced with Home Premium. I'm starting to like 7, mainly for the improved sharing and libraries.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Please post any shotcut for SSD disk fitting with A9. My A9 hard drive disc my broke, when I try to install Windows 7 Home edition, the hard drive disc did not come up even though I tried scan driver disc many times. I think it would work if I replace the hard drive disc by SSD disc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@tansfiv: here u go:
http://www.amazon.com/64GB-RunCore-PATA ... 39&sr=1-20

FYI, I do not think your HDD was broken. Push Archos Key at boot-up, go into BIOS and check if the HDD is presenting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you hallua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi guys, this is prolly a very old topic I'm shamelessly bumping :/

But I do have 2 questions.

I use my Archos still allot, just because it's a usefull tablet, and already upgraded my battery pack....

But now my BIOS battery is all done, it's a really small one witrh 2 leggs welded to positive and negative to solder it directly to the motherboard.
Where can I find one please ..... (can't read anything on it as for the welded legs)

Secondly I have bought myself a ( This one ) SSD ZIF, installed it but can't install windows because of I need drivers for it, it seems .... or need another BIOS with AHCI support ... don't know.
Can anyone help me out please ....