Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:22 pm 

I thought i would write a short guide to a quick way of solving video files that have broken frames and stop around the 18sec mark.
If you have a file that plays for the start then stops this is for you.
Ive tried keeping it simple using a freeware program. You can also do the same with virtual dub but if the audio is VBR insted of CBR it may cause some problems.

First of all get pocket divx encoder http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/

Then open the file up and select your relevant player, please note the "testing version" has the 04 range pictured, but if your using the older stable version the AV500 settings will work fine

You need to then select your video on the left hand side, and select where to save it.

After this Click "advance" on the right hand side

This will bring up another menu, tick as shown direct stream for video then the same for audio

Once ticked go back to the right half of the screen and hit the encode now

When finished (approx 50-60 seconds on an 45min tv proggie on an 2gh Pentium M) close this and find your file where you saved it.
Put it on your archos player and enjoy.[/img]

Last edited by roylovelock on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just a quick 'Thank You'

This problem has been annoying me for so long now. Tried it, worked first time.

This now saves me watching it on my PC.

Thanks again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks a lot roylovelock! much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:26 pm 

Your welcome, i remember how difficult it was to encode movies for my av300 many years back and as more ppl are getting PMPs now this problem is going to be asked over and again. I will shortly put up an walkthru on complete recoding and also dvd ripping.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

roylovelock

You are a star ! was pointed here by another user and your work around worked a treat!! Am new 604 wifi Archos user and am not too au-fait with all the encoding issues one thing I would appreciate your opinion on; "is it necessary for me to download the additional codecs (x2 of them I think,x264 and cinema viewer ?) from Archos" to get full functionality or are there free codecs/converters which do just as good job /are not too onerous to use, what's your opinion ? Saw that you mentioned some other guides you were putting together have you posted these yet also ? Thanks

Rgds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:19 pm 

Type23

Welcome to the family mate. Your welcome, and i will post some guides to recoding when i have some time to produce them, (currently on a 37hr slog and need sleep). As for plug ins, you need to ask yourself if you need them before purchase. Nearly all videos can be recoded given the correct tools. The program ive used here on this tread is very good at recoding the majority of videos without having to instal the plugs (or even codecs on your pc in that case). All you need to do is insted of ticking direct stream copy leave them in place (full processing mode if memory serves). Then click encode, the output file will be the correct dimesion for your player and have the correct audiocodec.

The plug i use is the cinema plug. I couldnt bring myself to purchase the ipod plug atm.
I got the cinema as i have a nas hhd that records ts. files, all i have to do is drag and drop the files on the player, also its nice having ac3 support.
h264 is a lovely codec, the compression is out of this world, and i will eventually purchase the plug just to have this feature, but as the majority of video hmmm downl...ed of the net is in xvid or divx its not worth having for me atm, as bandwidth is getting better as well i cant see this codec reaching the heights of divx / xvid even though its a better compressor.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Now what If im reencoding and want to remove the AC3? Since I dont use the plugin, Im looking for a super easy way to re-encode movies without AC3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Droc wrote:
Now what If im reencoding and want to remove the AC3? Since I dont use the plugin, Im looking for a super easy way to re-encode movies without AC3

Same as above, except clear the "Direct audio stream copy" checkbox. That will enable the "Audio quality" slider, (so I normally drag that over to the max) and the "Sound" slider, (which allows you to boost the audio a bit if needed) as well as the other audio checkboxes (which I normally clear).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It's too crazy to believe.

I converted a 22 minute TV show I downloaded. With default settings, it took about 17 to 20 minutes.

I just tried the technique showed here, and it made a mockery of those 17 to 20 minutes by converting the converted file in... a minute and... a half. Tops. Same size and EVERYTHING.

I just fail to believe that two clicks can make a ... what.. over %1000 speed increase?

What's it do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

If you select the direct stream video and audio option check boxes nothing will really convert will it? Or is there something I have not understood?

AMK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:16 pm 

all this technique will do is directly copy the file, it will also remove any bad frames which causes the video to crash at around 18secs.
As stated if you untick direct steam copy on video and audio a full recode of the video will commence and will take between 20 mins - 1.5hrs depending on the speed of your machine. You only need to do this if the video you put on your player says cannot play / you need this or that plug or qmc quatre pixal not supported. Ive found this technique will solve 90% of the films i download, the others need the full recode jobby.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had a gmc problem with one of my video files recently, so for this I would need to reencode completely right?

Ticking direct video copy only helps when you have the 18 sec bug right? What other problems does it help to solve?

I have Mpgs or Mpegs; some of them have a few problems like this. They play fine but if I try to skip 2 secs or 30 secs they just jump to the end of the file. I thought of reencoding them fully but will selecting (ON) the direct video copy option help?

AMK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:47 pm 

for the short time it takes its always worth doing the tech as above as it could only be the file structure thats cause your problems, the outputted file with have a complete new file structure. Mpeg files will be larger than the xvid / divx files as the compression is much higher in these formats, but quality will suffer with the conversion. if it dosent work do the full conversion you have nothing to lose other than a few mins trying.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks mate; I'll give it a shot soon to see if this short cut method fixes my mpeg problem files.

AMK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It didn't work for the files I tried on. In one case the video disappeared, in the other case the video was garbled. In boths cases WMP refused to even play it.

And it didn't really take a short time, took like 45 minutes for a 700 mb file.

AMK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Oh neat, I've been re-encoding all my 18 sec playing videos! will this create a new file? I assume it will. You can probably even save this profile and re-load it for the next batch too right? Awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nice this helped me out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

roylovelock wrote:
I thought i would write a short guide to a quick way of solving video files that have broken frames and stop around the 18sec mark.
If you have a file that plays for the start then stops this is for you.
Ive tried keeping it simple using a freeware program. You can also do the same with virtual dub but if the audio is VBR insted of CBR it may cause some problems.

First of all get pocket divx encoder http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/

No good for the Archos 105, as it doesn't allow for the resloution (160 x 128) to be low enough !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Seems like a nice program, but I'm using vista Ultimate x64 and it crashes every time I try to convert a video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for suggesting this program, it has cleared up my problem and more and is super fast, thanks again, u can even connect the archos into a PS3 usb and play through that onto your tv if you aint got a docking station