Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:51 am 
Archos User
Archos User

So I installed the SDE (Angstrom) and then installed VLC. It works, but it's pretty laggy when playing mp4 videos. Mp2 works pretty smoothly.

I've got to say that after playing with Angstrom for the day, I'm not really impressed. It's probably a great distro for a smartphone and maybe even a PDA, but the Archos is closer to a computer than anything. Angstrom just feels cheap on such a rich device. Some pretty basic things don't work - the on screen keyboard doesn't actually let you type in most applications. The sound doesn't work at all. The image gallery won't slideshow without crashing [Nevermind. Slideshow works if you give it long enough to load all of the images. It just takes some time before it starts]

I'm not sure that Angstrom is the right base distro for this device...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I get eh same impression, but hopefully it will give us enough control to get another distro on it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

cryptyk you have to get the texas instruments dsp bridge up and running and so far i guess only mplayer can make use of it see the beagleboard development progress on dsp support for this :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

cryptyk wrote:
So I installed the SDE (Angstrom) and then installed VLC. It works, but it's pretty laggy when playing mp4 videos. Mp2 works pretty smoothly.

I've got to say that after playing with Angstrom for the day, I'm not really impressed. It's probably a great distro for a smartphone and maybe even a PDA, but the Archos is closer to a computer than anything. Angstrom just feels cheap on such a rich device. Some pretty basic things don't work - the on screen keyboard doesn't actually let you type in most applications. The sound doesn't work at all. The image gallery won't slideshow without crashing [Nevermind. Slideshow works if you give it long enough to load all of the images. It just takes some time before it starts]

I'm not sure that Angstrom is the right base distro for this device...

Hey, could you give me your .aos file of this sde here. I still have the first .aos file from archos site and i can't find any more recent ones created by you guys. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The SDE .aos file is on the archos.com site, under support/downloads

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yup I know that but I want your because you have the vlc player on it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Oh - I see what you mean. I don't know how to package up my existing file system as an aos/initramfs yet. I'm working on it. In the meantime, though, it's really easy to install the SDE and then install VLC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cryptyk wrote:
Oh - I see what you mean. I don't know how to package up my existing file system as an aos/initramfs yet.

Archos should have given an option to build .aos files, or compile the current settings/files in Angstr├Âm.. How are we (as developers) going to release our work?

Anyway, i see cryptyk is working on that, so i'm holding my breath :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:15 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

cryptyk wrote:
Oh - I see what you mean. I don't know how to package up my existing file system as an aos/initramfs yet. I'm working on it. In the meantime, though, it's really easy to install the SDE and then install VLC.

Could you help me with it. I've installed the sde from archos site and I have no idea what to do now to make it better and add vlc and what not. If you could help me that would be much appriciated

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

First thing is to hook up a keyboard using the mini dock. Typing on the device is near impossible.
Second thing is to get wifi working. There is a link in the "dev diary" sticky about how to do that.
Third is to SSH into the archos. Use ssh if you're on Mac/Linux. Download Putty if you're on windows. Connect to the device over ssh and you'll have a shell.
To install more software once you're in the shell, type
su
opkg update

Once you've done that, "opkg list" will show all available software. "opkg install <name>" will install new software. "opkg list | grep -i <searchName>" will search for software by keyword.
For example:
"opkg list | grep -i media" will search for all software that has the word "media" in it. I'm guessing VLC would show up on that list. From there you would see that the name of the VLC package is "vlc", so type:
opkg install vlc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

cryptyk wrote:
First thing is to hook up a keyboard using the mini dock. Typing on the device is near impossible.
Second thing is to get wifi working. There is a link in the "dev diary" sticky about how to do that.
Third is to SSH into the archos. Use ssh if you're on Mac/Linux. Download Putty if you're on windows. Connect to the device over ssh and you'll have a shell.
To install more software once you're in the shell, type
su
opkg update

Once you've done that, "opkg list" will show all available software. "opkg install <name>" will install new software. "opkg list | grep -i <searchName>" will search for software by keyword.
For example:
"opkg list | grep -i media" will search for all software that has the word "media" in it. I'm guessing VLC would show up on that list. From there you would see that the name of the VLC package is "vlc", so type:
opkg install vlc

Hey, I looked at the wifi install page and man it is really confusing. Can you explain to me what to do I don't understand it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok I've been trying and my question now is how to I get the three files
helper_sd.bin
sd8686.bin
sd8xxx.ko
onto the A5 while in the sde?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

dbn045 wrote:
Ok I've been trying and my question now is how to I get the three files
helper_sd.bin
sd8686.bin
sd8xxx.ko
onto the A5 while in the sde?

I used a USB thumb drive and transferred them that way.

-Analias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Ohhh ok thank you. So I have to have the mini dock or battery dock to do this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@cryptyk
read this http://omappedia.org/wiki/OMAP_Angstrom ... ted_Codecs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:07 am 
Archos User
Archos User

analias:
You can also boot to recovery menu and select the developer item, then the "attach archos as USB drive" item (or similar).
Connect the archos to the computer, copy the files to it, then reboot back into angstrom. viola.

Cruncher. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So theoretically through the same process you used to install VLC player could you install comix?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Upon using the command "opkg install vlc" it started to download and install the necessary packages, but it gets to samba and starts to really slow down and the unit heats up quite a bit, am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Never mind, I just let it sit at the snag for 10 minutes and it got done right, just one more problem though, when I try to play a song, all I hear is crackling.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Im currently using quasar (an Mplayer frontend). Really diggin' it so far.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33157

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

how well do iso's play? This is much needed for me