Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been trying to make this MediaWiki use the same username/password database as on this forum, but for now I can't make that work.

So instead of waiting more months to figure it out, I decided to just launch it now and see if we can integrate it better with the forum database later.

Check it out at http://wiki.archosfans.com

For the new Archos 5 Internet Tablet with Android, we could use that Wiki to share test results and tips on how to tweak Android, find out which apps work well and share our test results on limitations for the video codecs supported, and tips for how to optimize the use of it, suspend modes and more.

For previous Archos products, this Wiki could be used as a Q&A to try to list the most common problems and solutions. For example I have had to answer about 100 times to the same questions about how to use the hard disk recovery mode, when it is useful to clear temporary files and cache, when to apply a hard disk error check through a computer, how to achieve the best battery life (through battery cycling) and plenty other tips.

If anyone knows how to create some really nice tables for all the Android application test results Works/Works Partially/Does Not Work and other nice fancy Wiki things, please do register an account on that Wiki and start updating it!

I'll activate the prettier URLs later (need to figure out where to setup the nicer URLs).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Great now we have a place to keep all of our findings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ive just added some stuff too, will keep adding as time goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Cool I contributed and didn't even know this thing existed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just_Gerald wrote:
Cool I contributed and didn't even know this thing existed.

I thought you might have wanted adding :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
I have been trying to make this MediaWiki use the same username/password database as on this forum, but for now I can't make that work.

So instead of waiting more months to figure it out, I decided to just launch it now and see if we can integrate it better with the forum database later.

Check it out at http://wiki.archosfans.com

Wow!!! Early this morning (1AM HST after frustrating (and fruitful) searches of this forum) I realized we need a Wiki. So a few minutes ago I posted a new Topic: Documentation Wiki. Then I saw this topic and tried to go back to my topic. Couldn't find it. Happy Day!!!

A friend and I have installed MediaWiki several times and hacked the code a little for a project we're working on. My friend and I agree the code sucks! It looks like a senior project in high school carried on way too far.

For our site we've got our authentication code working using our database for uid/pw. Everything, including MediaWiki is private - you can only get to it after logon. What we decided to do with all the web 2.0 apps including MediaWiki is:
1. Delete the register and logon links in their code.
2. Stuff the uid and password into their DB from our DB.
3. Create a translation table in our DB when the OUR UID/PW won't translate into the app's format. If the app's uid is different it will show as an entry in the user's profile.
4. After main login when the user selects the app they are logged in automatically.
5. Not allow public access to the app or anonymous posting.

A bunch of our code isn't written yet and we're looking for another wiki because we hate the MediaWiki code and user restrictions. (I had to hack MediaWiki to get an Underscore to appear in a page title such as: "Function - XY_open_door()").

Using a tool like AutoIt 3 you could easily create MediaWiki uid/passwords for Archosfans.com users. Then you send private messages to forum members with their Wiki uid/pw. You Disable the Wiki's "create account" link and add the Wiki uid to the forum's User Control Panel. For new forum members you create a new Wiki uid/pw and send that info as part of the registration process. Finally, you disable anonymous Wiki posts.

I'm somewhat familiar with php and MySQL and I can test out code on my Win PC using WAMP. So if I can be of help, let me know. If you are using a standard MediaWiki install I can help you by writing a hack in my MediaWiki and sending you the code change.

I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks for putting the Wiki up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've added "Category" to most of the Articles and added a "Categories" link on the main page.

Since the Wiki can be used for any Archos Product it might be nice if contributors would put the name of the product in the Article Title. For example: "Archos 5A FAQ" instead of "FAQ".

You can find out if a Category exists by clicking "Categories" on the main page. If a category doesn't exist for your article you can create it, then use it for your article. For example if you want to write an article about Features for the Archos XXX product line:
1. Click the "Categories" link on the Main Page
- Category "Archos XXX" doesn't exist
2. In search box on left type: Category:Archos XXX
- The resultant page tells you the page doesn't exist and you can "create this page".
3. Click the "create this page" link
- Enter your content for the "Category:Archos XXX" page, then save
4. In the search box type: Archos XXX Features
- The resultant page tells you the page doesn't exist and you can "create this page".
5. Click the "create this page" link
- Enter your content for the "Archos XXX Features" page
6. Enter "[[Category:Archos XXX]]" as the last line, preview(, change) and save

Now you have a new Article in a new category which is easy to find among all the Archos product with the word "Features" in the title.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks AllenPapapetrou for your offer to help about combining the username/password database of the forum with the wiki so people don't have to register twice.

Is it right to think that it is not going to be a problem to let people register on it and update it now, and then later try to combine it so users have to log-in with their forum IDs to edit the wiki, but that even if there are conflicts in usernames that it is not going to be a problem later?

What I tried was this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ntegration but I didn't manage to get that to work..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Thanks AllenPapapetrou for your offer to help about combining the username/password database of the forum with the wiki so people don't have to register twice!

Is it right to think that it is not going to be a problem to let people register on it and update it now, and then later try to combine it so users have to log-in with their forum IDs to edit the wiki, but that even if there are conflicts in usernames that it is not going to be a problem later?

What I tried was this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ntegration but I didn't manage to get that to work..

As my coding friend once said, "Anything you do now you can fix later if needs be". As you might have seen from my reply post about "Categories" Wiki's can become a mess. However, lets consider what you've done as an incredible service to the Archos Community. Well worth the coding efforts to clean up later if need be.

This Wiki has the potential of being an fine example of how a user community, us, can help the originating company, Archos, to better serve US and THEM.

Good start!!! We'll clean it up as we go just like Archos does - better and better with each release.

And...
I love my little Archos 5A 32G. Had my first crash last night, since I got it on 16 Oct, with an AVI file I created. I was in heaven. Wiped out my 8G Micro SDHC card too. All back...all fine...ain't gonna run that AVI sucker again. I love failures because we learn so much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hey can we have all the official firmware files that are released by archos posted on the wiki..

Archos makes only the latest firmware available ... which is not always the best... if older firmware files are available .. people can avoid "upgrading" to the latest firmware .... and also be able to reset the firmware to the one of their choice.

so just save the .aos when its released ...

BTW does anyone have have the firmware file for v1.1.01 ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

This has been covered already (sort of I suppose)

viewtopic.php?p=171382#p171382

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

List of Applications tested to work, now in alphabetical order :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zandoli wrote:

Nice work. Would you add where to get them with URI and if access to Android Market via phone is required.
For example, I couldn't find a current download for Better Keys.apk 3.3 other than AM. I did find an old 1.x version but I'm not sure if its legal.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I replaced the content of the article:
Bugs with Firmware 1.2.11

With this:
=====Rep start
Content remove because: 1. Author is anonymous 2. No category

Whoever 80.192.146.22 is you can get the content back without too much trouble and when you do why not: Login and add the correct category at the end of the edit
=====Rep end

I'll probably continue doing this when I find users anonymously add articles and don't put them in categories.

Of course, 80.192.146.22, you're free to ignore me and do what you want.

Update>>>
I just did the same thing to the article: List of Games tested to work

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
zandoli wrote:

Nice work. Would you add where to get them with URI and if access to Android Market via phone is required.
For example, I couldn't find a current download for Better Keys.apk 3.3 other than AM. I did find an old 1.x version but I'm not sure if its legal.

Thanks!

URLs for some apps added.
I believe access via Android Market is required for the others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

zandoli wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:
zandoli wrote:

Thanks!

URLs for some apps added.
I believe access via Android Market is required for the others.

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
add where to get them with URI and if access to Android Market via phone is required.
Thanks!

Am I to assume that you mean a rooted phone that you can buy/download the app and then copy off to the Archos? Man, what if the Archos is your only Android device?

I left a huge comment on the code.google about the whole Android Market thing. Could everybody go there and star it so Google know's it's important to us? I know Archos may-or-may-not be including the market with some future update, but I beleive it shouldn't even be an issue and Google should let all Android-devices have Market like they originally state as their intentions.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3797

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

findapollo wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:
add where to get them with URI and if access to Android Market via phone is required.
Thanks!

Am I to assume that you mean a rooted phone that you can buy/download the app and then copy off to the Archos? Man, what if the Archos is your only Android device?

I left a huge comment on the code.google about the whole Android Market thing. Could everybody go there and star it so Google know's it's important to us? I know Archos may-or-may-not be including the market with some future update, but I beleive it shouldn't even be an issue and Google should let all Android-devices have Market like they originally state as their intentions.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3797

Google is aware that android is being used on devices other than phones. I expect a change in their policy as 1.6 and 2.0 get on more non-phone devices.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

HI Charbax.
Myself Ferry from United States, Just read your post regarding not able to access your account using same username/password. So can you please reply me regarding the syntax error that is being displayed on when you try to sign in using the same username/Password.
Thanks for your post and stay connect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For now you need to register a new account on http://wiki.archosfans.com if you want to post there under a username..