Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Charbax, im just curious, now you have your device, what works and what doesnt for you? im sure you have been busy testing everything, how have you got on with your mkv files? Does your browser ever crash? let us know :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah, I too am very interested in any thoughts Charbax has on the device. I returned my 32GB mainly due to the freezes/crashing, so if those problems have been rectified with the recent firmware update I will gladly order another one, as I loved the screen size and web browsing experience :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax must ask his source at first. :p

My 500 GB model is up and running. One crash after plugin of the wired remote, but this option is not approved by Archos...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos let me play with the firmware 1.2.00 that (I think) is due next week. Since I didn't try 1.1.01 I don't know what they may have fixed, my Ndrive seems to work.

I will try to post my mediainfos of tested 720p MKV and other codecs. 744MB 720p MKV High Profile TV episodes like Californication, 24, The Big Bang Theory, Conan works fine, though fast forward bugs slightly with the synch (looks like they can fix that in firmware, my Archos contact told me there are more MKV optimizations that they can do). I tried a couple 720p 4.4GB and 6.9GB movies, one has unsupported DTS audio, the other Star Trek 6.9GB movie sometimes plays super fine but other times it doesn't. Hopefully Archos improves bitrate of MKV playback further so all "scene releases" of MKV 720p movies will work and even perhaps add DTS as a plugin or something (if it's an expensive decoder licence).

I like the Android browser a lot, though I would like to have a setting for the keyboard that doesn't blink the carachter that I enter (you know that thing they use on iphone and Android phones to show the charachter you type on cause the keys are so small), since the keys are so big and the screen is resistive, I don't think those blinking key shadows are needed. I'd guess there would be a settings option to remove it but I could not find it. (very tiny issue).

I really like how you can go in standby while browser, resume your player and you are right back in the browser and immediately still connected to WiFi. On the previous Archos 5 IMT, you would have to slowly reconnect to WiFi and re-browse to the page. This is a huge improvement. I like awesomly how you can multitask, jump from the Browser to something else and back so easily. Browse in 4 tabs perhaps more all seems super smooth, perhaps thanks to this ARM Cortex A8 processor being so powerful for this webkit browser.

The Youtube.apk seems to work fine, though it's not full screen yet (does not cover the top Home/Menu/Back task bar) and also, it would be really awesome if someone made a special Archos version of Youtube.apk which could load HD and HQ versions by default in full screen and instantly if the user chooses those qualities as default in the settings.

I have had it only for a few hours, and been busy with a few other things since then. I will spend much more time tomorrow to try to do some useful and advanced tests. And I will try to figure out what my firmware is able to do and it's probably not the exact one users will get, I'm guessing 1.2.01 or some numbering like that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:04 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I hope you are right. Now I can't wait for the next update.
Though, you could just be over exited about the same FW we have.

Just kidding. Thanks for the inside look.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Charbax,
I may have missed it in another post but what model of the 5IT did you get? Is it a Flash or HDD model?

I've read in other posts that you may require one of the docks to plug in a external portable hdd like a WD passport etc. Is this true or can you plug such a device directly into the usb port on the 5IT?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

51cem wrote:
Hi Charbax,
I may have missed it in another post but what model of the 5IT did you get? Is it a Flash or HDD model?

As you can see in my video http://archosfans.com/2009/10/17/at-night-in-denmark/ , I have the Flash version. It's crazy thin, really amazingly thin and light.

51cem wrote:
I've read in other posts that you may require one of the docks to plug in a external portable hdd like a WD passport etc. Is this true or can you plug such a device directly into the usb port on the 5IT?

Yes, you need one of the Docks for USB host function. There a full sized USB host on any of the 4 different docks available. Mini Dock $20, Battery Dock $40, HDMI Dock (like Mini but with HDMI) price unknown, and the DVR Station for more than $100 and includes the Mpeg2/AC3/WMVHD plugin.

I think only low power WD passports may work. If you search for WD Passport on this forum there are discussions and informations about how much power those portable hard drives need from the USB host, I think support and power output on USB host likely will be the same as for previous generations.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Many thanks Charbax,

Looking forward to reading about your outcomes with the device as well as other users.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I guess the next release won't include donut 1.6 then?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Have you had any problems with browser crashing? Overall I'm happy with the browser but I can never browse for more than 10 minutes without it crashing the app.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Does anyone wonder whether Charbax will be so positive on Archos if he wasn't getting the products for free? How would he feel about laying out $400 of his own money to get a device that constantly has glitches? Does Archos also pay for his trips to the new product introductions as well?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:32 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

cghori wrote:
Does anyone wonder whether Charbax will be so positive on Archos if he wasn't getting the products for free? How would he feel about laying out $400 of his own money to get a device that constantly has glitches? Does Archos also pay for his trips to the new product introductions as well?

Exactly. He should mention in every post that he got the device for free from Archos. It is not a normal guy on the net that bought the device from Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Are you implying he is so glowing of Archos for the freebies?

Its not like Archos fund this site so they will cut him off if he posts bad stuff.

Charbox has always seemed to me to be honest in his apraisal of everything Archos.

Everytime they bring out a new unit it is buggy as hell and needs tweaking - the new android seems to be more updated than legacy Archos items. Could this be due to internet (forums like this) posting how bad the initial unit is and forcing updates? Who knows

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I agree, it's not like he's been praising the hell out of Archos (although he is obviously really into the unit). Now that he has one, he'll see what the rest of us have been talking about (a lot of which was sorted out by the last firmware update). I'm just looking forward to seeing him go through the device thoroughly, identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the product. He also has the ear of Archos so hopefully any serious issues can be made known to them through him. I got my Archos a few days ago (500GB) and I have to say that it's crashed once, that's all. It froze when I was accessing an internet TV station.

Now all we have to do is identify as many issues as we can and get Archos to fix them before they stop supporting the product. Charbax getting an device from Archos is a positive thing and will hopefully benefit all of us in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

perrin21 wrote:
Have you had any problems with browser crashing? Overall I'm happy with the browser but I can never browse for more than 10 minutes without it crashing the app.

perrin21,

I presume you are running the latest firmware? If so, I am a little disappointed as I was hoping that the crashing during web browsing had been fixed with the latest update :( If you have upgraded from a previous firmware, do you at least find that the unit crashes less 'in general'? (Sorry, bit off topic but didn't think it was worth starting a whole new thread!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am still preparing my video reviews.

I think if there is some crash, usually it is because of an Android app that perhaps is not optimized yet, kind of corrupted or something like that that runs badly in the background. I did have to reboot on a couple incompatible MKV HD movies (though another couple times after about 10 seconds of it seeming crashed it would still let me exit the video and be back to normal), I am still needing to test lots more MKV HD files (my TV episodes 720p MKV all seem to work fine). Also it crashed a couple times when I try to stream Youtube videos using the "Archos Media Center" instead of the Youtube.apk that I now have installed. The Youtube.apk takes care of any embedded or youtube.com video smoothly and automatically, though Youtube.apk still needs a few optimizations for Archos like display in true full screen (above the Home/Back/Menu and toolbar at the top) and also it will hopefully be able to get a Youtube.apk that chooses to stream HQ and HD qualities from Youtube when those are available, also be able to choose for example "Only SD when on Bluetooth tethering", "Only HD when on HDMI output" and "Only HQ only when on WiFi" or something like that.

Sure Archos sent me this device. I cannot be corrupt by receiving this device though. I only promote and speak enthusiastically about technologies that I really like, admire and support no matter what. The fact is, Archos is the only company achieving anything quite like this. I seriously don't believe the Zune HD or Ipod Touch can compete for my enthusiasm and my dedication. Sure the Ipod Touch and Zune HD I think should be considered competitors in terms of market share, in terms of how Archos has to get the attention of consumers and geeks online. Though there has been absolutely no doubt in my mind since JBMM20 in 2002, that Archos has always done much superior products to Apple and Microsoft and any of the other consumer electronics companies out there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sarahcl wrote:
perrin21 wrote:

perrin21,

I presume you are running the latest firmware? If so, I am a little disappointed as I was hoping that the crashing during web browsing had been fixed with the latest update :( If you have upgraded from a previous firmware, do you at least find that the unit crashes less 'in general'? (Sorry, bit off topic but didn't think it was worth starting a whole new thread!)

I don't think I have experienced any browser crashing at all. It's amazingly cool, smooth, fast, just impressive. Unless one tries to load a youtube video in the wrong way (Youtube videos only work with Youtube.apk on my device with firmware 1.2.00). Maybe it may crash on trying to load some other content intensive sites with many pictures, javascripts and trying to load flash. I am not sure though, I need to find some of these content-heavy sites to try..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The SSD A5 is just plain gorgeous. I would gladly sacrifice storage for a 64gb version (with sim slot). Why would anyone bother the the 160gb or 500gb bricks? Ruins the whole concept of "portability"

Charbax, do you agree that the slim Archos is the way to go?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cghori wrote:
The SSD A5 is just plain gorgeous. I would gladly sacrifice storage for a 64gb version (with sim slot). Why would anyone bother the the 160gb or 500gb bricks? Ruins the whole concept of "portability"

Charbax, do you agree that the slim Archos is the way to go?

The slim is crazy slim and light. Yet it's also very tempting to have 500 freaking Gygabytes in about the same size as the Archos 5 IMT 120GB that I had been carrying in my pocket every single day for a whole year and did not think it was a problem..

I think that if you are really smart with remote streaming from your TB collections over the Internet, if you can have 1mbit/s download everywhere from your BT Tethering and 1mbit/s upload from your home ftp/http NAS server and over Samba/Upnp at home, the 8GB version at around $200 will be a no-brainer, and just add a MicroSD for enough local caching of podcasts and whatnot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yes im on the latest firmware, i get crashes on this site every so often. Its still buggy in my opinion although yes its certainly been improved. Still wont play any of my non hd movie mkv files though